PDA

View Full Version : AR front pivot pin trick, who has one?

Yuba
07-19-2010, 1:49 PM
So I am nearing completion of my first lower and I couldn't find any tools locally so I decided to carefully assemble it by hand and tools in the box. Its going great, no scratches and I have been taking my time.

Well I am at the pivot pin now and I don't know how to get it in with my fingers, and was wondering if you guys have either made your own tools or found an easy way to get this accomplished.

Any help for a noob would be great and please be kind :cool:

RRA LPK in S&W Lower.

crob
07-19-2010, 1:53 PM
I hold the piin in place with a pair of hemostats I use for fishing, then push down on it with a razor blade. Slide the pivot pin over the blade.

1911su16b870
07-19-2010, 1:57 PM
Go to a hardware store and by a 1/4 hitch pin that is >= 1.5 inches long. Place the pin through so its hole lines up with the pivot pin detent/spring hole in the receiver. Place the sping in and then the detent, and then push down with the proper size punch flush and then turn 90-degrees holding everything in place. Then holding your one hand fingers over the areas where it could squirt out, carefully push the pivot pin in untill the detent clicks in place and your are now GTG.

Redlinegts
07-19-2010, 1:58 PM
I hold the detent down with the pivot pin and just push it in.

Yuba
07-19-2010, 2:03 PM
Thanks guys, I did see a video were a guy used a blade but couldn't find that again.

My spring is very strong and was hurting my finger which finally got raw and I was worthless. I almost think my spring it too strong. Is that possible?

crob
07-19-2010, 2:04 PM
Not sure, I just use the hemostats because it keeps my fat fingers out of the way. Also helps you get a better grip

Vtec44
07-19-2010, 2:13 PM

That's what I do.

Barabas
07-19-2010, 2:19 PM

Ditto. If the spring is too strong, are you sure you have the correct spring? It doesn't need to be very strong to do its job, the detent just needs to reliably impede the removal of the pin. It doesn't take finger crushing strength to do that.

Redlinegts
07-19-2010, 2:23 PM
Ditto. If the spring is too strong, are you sure you have the correct spring? It doesn't need to be very strong to do its job, the detent just needs to reliably impede the removal of the pin. It doesn't take finger crushing strength to do that.

I would check to see if you are using the right spring also, it really isn't that difficult to get it in at all.

Jason_2111
07-19-2010, 2:28 PM

This is how armorers do it. :)

munkeeboi
07-19-2010, 2:36 PM

+1

put the receiver on it's side so the detent will just lie there. use the end of the pin to push in the detent while pushing down on the pin to insert it into the receiver hole. never had a problem doing it this way.

ar15barrels
07-19-2010, 3:20 PM
I was worthless.

You can see a shrink about any self worth issues you may have.

Were you perhaps trying to use the selector detent spring as a pivot pin detent spring?

slipangle
07-19-2010, 3:51 PM
Go to a hardware store and by a 1/4 hitch pin that is >= 1.5 inches long. Place the pin through so its hole lines up with the pivot pin detent/spring hole in the receiver. Place the sping in and then the detent, and then push down with the proper size punch flush and then turn 90-degrees holding everything in place. Then holding your one hand fingers over the areas where it could squirt out, carefully push the pivot pin in untill the detent clicks in place and your are now GTG.

^this!

This is a really easy way to do it. No flying springs/detents. I've assembled, a couple using this method. I'd recommend it, especially if you're having trouble otherwise.

RRichie09
07-19-2010, 6:25 PM

me too. Quickest, fastest, easiest method.

E-120
07-19-2010, 6:39 PM
I use a credit card and a pair of needle nose pliers. Probably not the best way but it works.

TKM
07-19-2010, 6:51 PM
I drilled a hole through a 1/4 inch punch and ground a small flat on one side.

Put the punch through the hole in the lower, push the spring and detent in through the hole in the punch with something pointy and rotate the punch once it is completely in place.

Push the punch back through the lower with the take-down pin. The detent clicks up into place and life is good.

It's easier than it sounds. The punch was already in my AR tool-bag, ding .... multitasking.

luchador768
07-19-2010, 6:55 PM
I used a butter knife on all five of my builds.

Redlinegts
07-19-2010, 8:00 PM
I didn't know it was this difficult, some of you have some interesting ways of putting it in lol ;)

slappomatt
07-19-2010, 8:06 PM

This is what I have always done. seems to me making tools and other things is kinda a solution looking for a problem scenario like using a bore sighter.

supersonic
07-19-2010, 8:09 PM
I didn't know it was this difficult, some of you have some interesting ways of putting it in

Ummmm......uh.........no comment needed.:p

JJ1911
07-19-2010, 8:26 PM
LOL sonic.

Anyway I remember that being one of the easier parts to assemble (the trigger guard roll pin was tougher for my kit haha). Just push the detent down with the pin and push. The spring itself is extremely light, you should be able to just push it down, maybe a couple light ( see: LIGHT) taps with a small hammer.

duc748bip
07-19-2010, 8:31 PM
Razor blade or exacto knife works but i wouldn't recommanded since your finger might get real close to the sharp edges.

foxtrotuniformlima
07-19-2010, 8:35 PM
I drilled a hole through a 1/4 inch punch and ground a small flat on one side.

Put the punch through the hole in the lower, push the spring and detent in through the hole in the punch with something pointy and rotate the punch once it is completely in place.

Push the punch back through the lower with the take-down pin. The detent clicks up into place and life is good.

It's easier than it sounds. The punch was already in my AR tool-bag, ding .... multitasking.

Me too !

Exile Machine
07-19-2010, 8:37 PM
I've done a bunch of these. Only had one spring shoot across the room never to be found again. I've used pliers, hunting blade, hemostats, fishnet stockings, you name it. The last one I did, it almost went in by itself, due to sheer practice making perfect.

-Mark

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-19-2010, 9:02 PM

This is pretty much what the much higher priced specialty tool does, but for less $ - always good. It helps to do the work with the receiver inside a gallon Ziplock bag just in case you don't hold the pivot pin down hard enough.

bjl333
07-19-2010, 10:32 PM
I use a pair of tweezers I stole from my wife. Just hold the detent with the tweezers and push the pin against the detent to get it in !!!

1911su16b870
07-20-2010, 8:56 AM
This is pretty much what the much higher priced specialty tool does, but for less $ - always good. It helps to do the work with the receiver inside a gallon Ziplock bag just in case you don't hold the pivot pin down hard enough.

That big ziplock is a great idea! During M16 armorer school which was three days of total disassembly-reassembly, I only launched one rear sight ball bearing, but in the past, I have lost detents and springs only to be found much later! I try to have the extra little parts on hand now.

Yuba
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone!

I was able to get the pin to seat correctly after trying a few of your ideas, I really like the zip-lock bag suggestion. I do believe it was the correct spring, as the springs I had left would not fit in the tiny hole. Its a RRA lower kit and the spring was wound pretty tight with little space between coils which is why I think it was so strong/stiff.

The spring only shot across the bench once but I was able to secure the pin in place by using a punch, pliers and some luck.

I was able to hold onto the dtent (sp) with the needle nose pliers and pushing it in, I used the punch from the other side to keep it compressed then I slid in the pin.

I am not sure why I was having such issues, once I did it I was wondering why I initially was having trouble.

In any case the lower is beautiful and assembled awaiting the upper. I haven't purchased one yet but I am close...

Thanks again.

PEBKAC
07-20-2010, 11:27 AM
This.

CHS
07-20-2010, 12:37 PM
1/4" clevis pin. Works every time.

madmike
07-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Call Chuck Norris, hold the phone up to the lower, it will install itself.

-madmike.

bjl333
07-21-2010, 5:18 PM
That big ziplock is a great idea! During M16 armorer school which was three days of total disassembly-reassembly, I only launched one rear sight ball bearing, but in the past, I have lost detents and springs only to be found much later! I try to have the extra little parts on hand now.

Parts are still MIA in my house !!

Barabas
07-21-2010, 5:36 PM
I launched a FAL extractor over my house once. I heard it hit the roof on the other side of the peak, but never found it.

I was over-confident after building an extractor tool and thought I didn't need to contain it any more. I've never lost AR parts though, knock on wood.