PDA

View Full Version : Shooter's choice lead remover effective?

bayonet
07-19-2010, 2:49 PM
I shot my Ruger revolver yesterday with lead round nose ammo, and there's lead residue inside the barrel and on the front of the cylinder among other places. I looked inside the barrel and there appears to be blobs of lead. Hoppes and Birchwood Casey 2 in 1 bore scrubber are both ineffective for me.

Is this product effective in cleaning my gun?
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0059452290197a.shtml?cmCat=perf&rid=0987654321&cm_mmc=Performics-_-CSE-_-GoogleBaseUSA-_-0059452290197a&mr:trackingCode=80B9B7CC-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

I also thought I could try shooting it out using regular FMJ rounds, but I'm afraid that it can generate excess pressures. Also, that wouldn't do anything for the cylinder.

Anyone have opinions/experiences?

Thanks

humgunner
07-19-2010, 3:15 PM
I wrap a nylon bore brush with copper chor-boy. Takes the lead out safely with no damage and no solvent needed.

bronze bore brush might work too.

littlejake
07-19-2010, 3:21 PM
That's rather common with lead ammo; especially for magnum loads.

Decades ago, I used Hoppes #9 and a bronze brush. Too much work.

Today, there are better products for removing lead and copper -- they contain ammonia which chemically bonds to the lead so it can be removed with less effort.

I have not tried the product you are linking to. MPro7 Bore Gel and Blue Wonder are products I have used with success.

You use a brush to apply it; and let it sit; then brush it out. Heavy leading may require more than one application.

c good
07-19-2010, 3:26 PM
I use a Lewis Lead Remover. I believe they are now made by Hoppes. I like soaking the bore with Shooters Choice for 10-15 minutes. Then run a patch through it. Then run a Lewis Lead Remover rig through it. Clean and shiney!! HTH c good

AlliedArmory
07-19-2010, 5:43 PM
I usually use Hoppes or M-Pro7. After I use these to expose the copper I sometimes run some Sweets 762. Always comes out sparkling!

windrunner
07-19-2010, 6:04 PM
^^^Sweets 7.62

littlejake
07-19-2010, 7:51 PM
I usually use Hoppes or M-Pro7. After I use these to expose the copper I sometimes run some Sweets 762. Always comes out sparkling!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=643582

Yes. At 5% ammonia, it should dissolve lead and copper quite well.

lazs
07-20-2010, 9:10 AM
Shooters choice is as good or better than most. It will not remove heavy lead deposits.

I have shot countless cast lead bullets in dozens of handguns since the 70's. I have learned a few things about leading.. how to not get it is most important.. how to remove it is almost as important.

First... Ruger.. I love em but... sometimes their quality control is a bit.. "lax" on the bore and the chambers.. by that.. I mean, rough bores and undersized chambers.. which is a real recipe for leading.

Normally, you want a smooth bore that is about the same size or a thou or so smaller than the chamber. You need to measure both.

size the bullet about a thou or two bigger than the bore.

Rough bore? final finish bore lap will work.. shooting a thousand or so jacketed bullets will work. Do these things and keep powder selection and pressures reasonable and you won't have leading in any case but...

But.. leading happens and you wanted a way to get rid of it. Great suggestions here.. wrap a bronze brush with chore boy or, WAY better. get a Frontier metal cleaner.. it looks about the same but works far better. you can even use it to scrub the front of the cylinder.

For years I used the lewis lead remover.. still have one and it works great. Will pull strips of lead out of the bore. Takes only a few passes to clean the worst leading.

One not mentioned is "lead wipe away cloth" Made by various manufacturers. It is normally yellow and somewhat gritty. I cut the cloth into patches about a half inch square and wet em in solvent.. they tend to dry out. Do not use on the cyl of a blued gun (it will remove blue) but for a stainless gun just rub it on the front of a cyl and all burn marks and lead will come right off.. I also wrap a wet patch of it on a brush and run it down the bore but.. only on stainless guns.

bayonet
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I ordered a Frontier metal cleaner; seems like it's the most effective from what I read.