PDA

View Full Version : Alright, 50yard shot from handgun topic again..

mif_slim
07-19-2010, 2:35 PM
So I know there was a topic somewhere on here about shooting a pistol at 50 yards...Now, I finally got the chance to go out and test the theory on how well I can shoot at 50 yards with a normal auto-pistol (xd40 to be exact) and I got the results. I did a 45 group shot to be exact and to really see where I would group more. The 3-5 shot group with pistol really is.....a joke, for me anyways.

So, heres my group:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/mif_slim/97f7b0df.jpg
Pretty lousy....No rest... it was shot isosceles stance. Is this normal for you guys? I know not alot of folks shoot 50 yards but its just good to know sometimes..

What are you guys getting on average?

j1133s
07-19-2010, 3:26 PM
Pretty lousy....No rest... it was shot isosceles stance. Is this normal for you guys? I know not alot of folks shoot 50 yards but its just good to know sometimes..

What are you guys getting on average?

I don't think your shots are that bad, esp. if you've never shot that far. So don't be too hard on yourself.

I used to shoot bullseye, so 50 yds isn't unusual. But you are right, since quitting it many years ago, I've not shot any pistol past 25 yards.

Today, I'm meeting somebody at the range to zero my pistol for 100 yds, I'll shoot some 50yd targets if I get the time and I'll post them. Which reminds me... I should print out some zeroing targets..

Mr.Pickles
07-19-2010, 4:23 PM
I had one back a few months. I have to say not bad, not bad at all. I need a refresh @50 with my 229 .357sig(and now with .40).

link!
My Thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=274606)

Scratch705
07-19-2010, 4:29 PM
how much drop is there for a pistol at that range? ie how far up are you aiming to hit bullseye?

mattt
07-19-2010, 5:04 PM
Not bad for a semi auto. Sometimes at the range I see poeple put the portable targets so close I swear the target has powder burns. Nice to see someone stretch it out with an auto. I shoot my xd45 at 50 and my revolvers at steal plates at 100 yards.I shot my 500 mag performance center hunter at steal at 400 yards with out scope but coulnt hit.Was like shooting a morter:59:

JohnFLand
07-19-2010, 5:16 PM
I shot my 500 mag performance center hunter at steal at 400 yards with out scope but coulnt hit.Was like shooting a morter

LOLROTF! The imagery is great!

Turo
07-19-2010, 5:32 PM
how much drop is there for a pistol at that range? ie how far up are you aiming to hit bullseye?

Most pistol rounds won't have a noticeable drop at 50 yards. I know I can shoot my glock 27 in 40S&W and make a 15" pattern at 50 yards, and I hit about where I'm aiming. I'm not the best shot, but I don't notice any drop out of a 3.5" barrel at 50yds.

mif_slim
07-19-2010, 5:34 PM
mr. pickles good shooting! I'm thinking my group is average?? what do you guys think?

JTROKS
07-19-2010, 8:19 PM
That actually is not bad at all. I'm gonna have to try it myself and see what I can muster. I think you started something here. Maybe we can get more folks to see what they can do with a normal pistol, not a TC Contender or specialty handgun firing rifle rounds. I'm gonna try to go out and see what my Sig GSR TTT will do when shot off hand only. Might document what it can do resting on the bench too just to see the accuracy.

9mmepiphany
07-19-2010, 8:45 PM
i think it looks very respectable for the first time standing at 50 yards. it looks like you aren't trusting your sights or you started aiming with your dots.

huckberry668
07-19-2010, 9:09 PM
not bad... consider it's shot out of an xd. next time, shoot prone with the gun rested on the ground (on little finger or sandbag). You'll be surprised on how much better you can do at long distances.

Doesn't mean much to 'average' someone else's group offhand standing open sights at 50 yards with a factory combat accurate pistol. Typical 50 yard groups with pistol are shot during competition either with support on barricade, prone or sitting. Or with a long range magnum hunting handgun on sandbags, prone or sitting.

Distance amplifies the psychological effect. The target looks different than 25 yards even if it is twice the size. Bench your gun on sandbags and shoot for groups slowly. Then compare your offhand standing groups at the same distance. Or use your 25 yard average group size as a standard and times it by 2 for comparison.

The last time I shot 45acp in a comp at 50 yards I believe my 200gr SWC dropped about 2" at 50 yards with a 25-yard zero. But the velocity was around 750fps if I remembered correctly.

9mmepiphany
07-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Typical 50 yard groups with pistol are shot during competition either with support on barricade, prone or sitting.

reminds me of when we shot the PPC course with .38 spl revolvers. 24 rounds from the 50 yard line: 6 prone, 6 sitting, 6 left/6 right hand barricade...i think it was in 2min 45secs. to be competitive at the GM level, you had to be able to shoot the 50 yard stage "clean" (all in the 10 ring)

mif_slim
07-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I been shooting 15 yards and I been getting 2", I got bored so Moved put to 25 and I was shooting about 5-6". then I finally got fed up with and doubled it. that's how I got the idea of shooting at 50 just to see what type of grouping I get.
anyways, I'm going to try it rested to see how well it actually shoots.
from what I recall the front post filled the entire orange circle so I went to reference points and just fired away and hope for the best. lol

I will post up how I did with my xd "benched". lol, never thought I see those two in one sentence!

9mmepiphany
07-19-2010, 10:38 PM
to get a more accurate idea of how the gun shoots at 50, try using the 6 o'clock hold...put the orange ball atop the front post, like dotting an "i"

1911Luvr
07-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I think your shooting was pretty damn good for 50 yards! If that was a bad guy he'd be just as dead as if you shot him with a 2" group and 25 feet. Very few weekend commandos can even hit the target at 50 yards, much less tap the bullseye a few times. My first time at an outdoor range with my new gun I put out a 4" spinner target at 25yds and could only manage to hit it once every 5 or 6 rounds. Don't discount your shooting ability, just keep practicing and be proud of your progress. Nice shooting!

C.W.M.V.
07-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Good enough for combat-nothing else matters.

lazs
07-20-2010, 8:55 AM
It is not that bad for the gun and caliber and just standing there blasting away.

For a good revolver you should be able to get 4" groups from sandbags without being real experienced.. a casual shooter. A very experienced shooter with a good gun and loads might shoot 1-2" 5 shot groups.

The groups generally open up to about double the size just standing and blasting away.

45 shot groups are not much use in my opinion.. fatigue would set in for almost anyone.

For MOST humans.. standing and shooting at 50 yards will tell us little or nothing about the accuracy of the gun or the load.

There is one thing you can do if you insist on shooting standing with 45 shot groups that, again, in my opinion, will tell you a little more.

You can discount 2 out of every five of the the shots.. say take away the 18 worst shots and that will tell you pretty much what the gun and load is capable of at that range.

Gun writers have found that an experienced shooter from sandbags will shoot machine rest groups if, in a 5 shot group, the 2 worst shots are discounted. That means that a normal experienced shooter from sandbags can tell what his gun and load are CAPABLE of by simply shooting 5 shot groups and taking the best three as being the "group"

In your case.. if you took say... 18 of the worst out.. you would be shooting a 5 inch group or so standing at 50 yards. That seems real reasonable for the gun and load and anyone just standing there and shooting it.

huckberry668
07-20-2010, 9:12 PM
reminds me of when we shot the PPC course with .38 spl revolvers. 24 rounds from the 50 yard line: 6 prone, 6 sitting, 6 left/6 right hand barricade...i think it was in 2min 45secs. to be competitive at the GM level, you had to be able to shoot the 50 yard stage "clean" (all in the 10 ring)

that's exactly what i was talking about. I shot my last PPC match about 12 years ago at San Gabriel Valley Gun Club. The one Alan Tanaka used to run. Do you know where they hold PPC match around LA?

huckberry668
07-20-2010, 9:19 PM
I been shooting 15 yards and I been getting 2", I got bored so Moved put to 25 and I was shooting about 5-6".

I will post up how I did with my xd "benched". lol, never thought I see those two in one sentence!

Tho I'm not an XD fan but I know it can do well. My friend's 9mm XD will hold 2.5" 5-shot groups at 25 yards fairly consistantly.

Try to shoot for precision small groups. Don't hurry your shots. Get the groups down to around 3" at 25 yards offhand consistantly and you'll 6" (head shot) at 50 yards. Trust me it's not too difficult to achieve.

Blademan21
07-20-2010, 9:27 PM

Dang,that brings back memories. I shot a Davis Custom,6" bull barrel and those freaky sights. Yea if you couldn't do 50yrd shots in PPC with those wheelguns you got spanked.

9mmepiphany
07-20-2010, 9:42 PM
Dang,that brings back memories. I shot a Davis Custom,6" bull barrel and those freaky sights. Yea if you couldn't do 50yrd shots in PPC with those wheelguns you got spanked.

that's what i shot too, it took a bit to get used to using a "neck hold". i shot a Python in the Leg Match tuned by Paul Crow who was with Bill Davis at the time