PDA

View Full Version : gas tube lengths - can you just cut them?

stan
07-19-2010, 2:30 PM
I need a short gas tube for a 7.5" pistol upper. Can i just cut down a carbine length gas tube with a dremel and a cutoff wheel?

Jason_2111
07-19-2010, 2:58 PM
I wouldn't.

Gas tubes are cheap... just buy one online. :)

Freagan
07-19-2010, 3:26 PM
I wouldn't.

Gas tubes are cheap... just buy one online. :)

This!

Vtec44
07-19-2010, 3:33 PM
You can always cut it, try out out, then get another one if it doesn't work.

CHS
07-19-2010, 5:33 PM
No, you really can't.

The exhaust end is formed with a little "mushroom" to get a nice gas seal on the gas key, and the intake end is crimped shut with a plug, then drilled for gas and cross-drilled for the roll pin.

Way easier and cheaper to just purchase a pistol tube.

chuck762
07-19-2010, 6:54 PM
No, you really can't.

The exhaust end is formed with a little "mushroom" to get a nice gas seal on the gas key, and the intake end is crimped shut with a plug, then drilled for gas and cross-drilled for the roll pin.

Way easier and cheaper to just purchase a pistol tube.

Actually the "head" is the same diameter as the tube which is .180 There is a relief that is .170 (+ - .002 on the 4 tubes i have here). I am going to assume that it is to allow carbon and crud a place to go and not build up on the tube jamming it in the carrier key. I'm not sure if the relief is turned or drawn onto the tube. A couple of the tubes look like it was turned on a lathe.

If you need a tube that is readily available buying one is the easiest way. If you need a custom length one then one can be make but you would need to turn the relief on the tube. May be hard to do with the bends on the tube.

CSACANNONEER
07-19-2010, 7:01 PM
Send a PM to slamfire. He can either do it for you or, maybe, tell you how to do it yourself.