PDA

View Full Version : Whats the legality on Draco Pistols.

kapache
07-19-2010, 2:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I am planning on purchasing a Draco pistol from (peachstateguns.com) and I was wondering what is the legality on this Pistols in California.

Can I remove the zero round magazine and replace it with a 10 round magazine?

Thanks.

RookieShooter
07-19-2010, 2:35 PM

Yes. That is what every Draco owners are doing and perfectly legal in CA.
See this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=315166&highlight=Draco) for more info.

WTSGDYBBR
07-19-2010, 2:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I am planning on purchasing a Draco pistol from (peachstateguns.com) and I was wondering what is the legality on this Pistols in California.

Thanks.

Kapache I own one as well. You cannot Dros it with a 10 rounder because s it's DROS as a Single Shot Pistol. This is the loophole dealers use to reg handguns on the California UN approved off listed receivers list. If the Draco has a pistol grip it will have a mag lock. It will be legal to lock in any mag from 1-10 rounds. Any rifle or pistol with a fixed mag larger then 10 rounds would be illegal.

kapache
07-19-2010, 3:38 PM
Awesome, thanks guys for the confirmation.

kapache
07-19-2010, 3:39 PM
Kapache I own one as well. You cannot Dros it with a 10 rounder because s it's DROS as a Single Shot Pistol. This is the loophole dealers use to reg handguns on the California UN approved off listed receivers list. If the Draco has a pistol grip it will have a mag lock. It will be legal to lock in any mag from 1-10 rounds. Any rifle or pistol with a fixed mag larger then 10 rounds would be illegal.

Hey whats your take on the Draco, are they accurate?

WTSGDYBBR
07-19-2010, 4:02 PM
My take on them they are ak47's the stopping power on a round like that is going to cut your arms and legs off. If the zombies every come ill take my Draco over my AR. Any ak47 is a very dependable weapon . I have seen people post targets at 100 years and they were on point with the Draco. It would work well for a close weapon 100-200 yards. With a long range weapon don't think I would use it. If I had to depend on long range I would use the rem 700 30-06.

CHS
07-19-2010, 5:37 PM
If the Draco has a pistol grip it will have a mag lock.

No. Draco's have mag locks because they are semi-automatic pistols that hold a magazine outside the pistol grip and they have a barrel shroud. The threaded barrel would also normally require a maglock, but they come from the factory with a tack-welded thread protector.

My take on them they are ak47's the stopping power on a round like that is going to cut your arms and legs off.

7.62x39 is just another cartridge. It's not magical. I have no idea where you're getting some of this stuff.

EBR Works
07-19-2010, 5:44 PM
I have seen people post targets at 100 years and they were on point with the Draco.

..a magical Romanian time warp weapon? ;)

timdps
07-19-2010, 5:55 PM
Hey whats your take on the Draco, are they accurate?

After some ranging shots: ten rounds with the Draco pistol (with bipod) at 50 yards. Aim point is 4 o'clock on the line between the 5 and 6 rings. Will bring the sight adjustment tool next time...
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/timdps/Draco/Draco50.jpg

bigthaiboy
07-19-2010, 9:24 PM
My take on them they are ak47's the stopping power on a round like that is going to cut your arms and legs off.

7.62x39 is just another cartridge. It's not magical. I have no idea where you're getting some of this stuff.

I blame it on video games. ;)

CSACANNONEER
07-19-2010, 9:44 PM

Really? Why? Are you telling me that a fixed magazine bolt action pistol would be an AW under California law? I don't think so. As long as the +10 round fixed magazine is legal in Ca and not on a semi auto handgun or long gun, I think it's legal. So, I think that it would be legal to make a straight pull, bolt action, AK style pistol with a fixed 75 round drum. Am I wrong? I'm far too tired to look up the law right now. BTW, your statement can not be correct since, it is perfectly legal to have a +10 round tube fed mag on a rifle!

Quiet
07-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Really? Why? Are you telling me that a fixed magazine bolt action pistol would be an AW under California law? I don't think so. As long as the +10 round fixed magazine is legal in Ca and not on a semi auto handgun or long gun, I think it's legal. So, I think that it would be legal to make a straight pull, bolt action, AK style pistol with a fixed 75 round drum. Am I wrong? I'm far too tired to look up the law right now. BTW, your statement can not be correct since, it is perfectly legal to have a +10 round tube fed mag on a rifle!

You are correct.

Fixed 10 round or less magazine for semi-auto pistols and semi-auto rifles only.

A bolt-action AK style pistol with a 75 round drum, would be CA legal.

Penal Code 12276.1
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

SJgunguy24
07-20-2010, 12:23 AM

First off there no "loophole". There is an exemption for single shot pistols which have a barrel length of 6" and an overall length of 10.5". That is the law and we build guns to meet the laws as written. Please do not use "loophole" to discribe an insane unconstitutional law that does nothing to stop criminals.

Second, do you know why the Draco has to have a maglock installed? When answering a question on the legality of a firearm I like to give the actual reason and maybe even cite the law that allows for a firearm like that.
Mag lock is because the mag is located somewhere other then the grip of a handgun. Thats why there is an exemption for olympic guns and single shots.

My take on them they are ak47's the stopping power on a round like that is going to cut your arms and legs off. If the zombies every come ill take my Draco over my AR. Any ak47 is a very dependable weapon . I have seen people post targets at 100 years and they were on point with the Draco. It would work well for a close weapon 100-200 yards. With a long range weapon don't think I would use it. If I had to depend on long range I would use the rem 700 30-06.

If you think that 7.62 will chop off arms and legs, try shooting something with that 30.06

MontClaire
08-06-2010, 1:05 PM

I was hitting a 400 yards steel round plate target with my out of the box draco, iron sights and all. Though it was not consistent cause you're hitting it half the time, the rest laid about a meter in diameter of that steel plate target. I call it a success for a 400 dollar gun.