PDA

View Full Version : SA MC Operator or Sig P220 Combat?

MrMarco
07-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Ok, I've been craving another .45 for a while now... I've sold off most of my toys and I'm down to a G23 and a Charter Bulldog, so it's time for something new. I really dig the looks of the Springfield MC Operator and had made my mind up on one, but they are really tough to come by here in SoCal.
Aslo, I've owned a few 1911s and have always loved the way they handle, but honestly have been just a little dissappointed with their accuracy.

I recently saw STEVE1968LS2's post about his new P220 combat and I really like the looks of that particular gun. I've heard great things about the P220s and have a couple of friends who swear by them.

Does anyone out there own both guns? If so, can you provide some neutral feedback about the pros and cons of both firearms? How is the Sig single-action trigger pull relative to a SA 1911? In the end, I'll probably have to find a shooting range that rents both SA 1911s and P220s so I can see first hand how they shoot, but in the meantime any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ed_Hazard
07-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Well I own both a MC operator and a couple 220's not the combat model though. I find for me that grip fit is the main difference between the 2 guns. The MC OP. just fits my hand better as do all 1911's. I find that I can only comfortabley shoot my 220's w/the slimest grips I can get. This pretty much eliminates all rubber over,old, laser and some exotic custom wood grips.

As far a s trigger pull, personaly the 220's trigger has a little more of astacked feel than the MC's. But like I said it's not the combat model which may have a smoother feel out the box. Best bet is to try them both and go from their.

Astig Boy
07-19-2010, 10:48 AM
SA MC Operator FTW.
Hands down it is so much more refined then the P220 Combat. The P220 Combat is essentially the same as any other P220 but comes with a steel frame...the MC Operator is a completely worked 1911. You can do anything and everything to reworking a Sig trigger, it will never match the feel and break of a 1911 trigger job...so I would doubt if it would be even greater then the stock MC Operator trigger. I have owned a SAO P220 as well. I can group my shots to a small tethered hole at 25ft with any of my P220s...but I can match that with a tighter group and with less effort and ease with many other 1911s. Between the three P220s I have owned, I can not really tell the difference in shooting, they all felt nearly identical and shot exactly the same way; and some had more upgrades then the other. It truly is shooter preference, so you must shoot both to know. But for me, a 1911 like a Operator just makes shooting so much more easier and enjoyable.

Shawn L
07-19-2010, 10:51 AM
MC Operator!

MrMarco
07-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

civilsnake
07-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Decide based on ergos and manual of arms.

I've owned an MCO and currently have the standard P220. The Combat only trumps it by offering a different color, night sights, frontstrap checkering and phosphate coated internals. The Combat is an aluminum frame AFAIK.

Honest truth, I can't think of a reason to purchase a Combat over the regular P220. If you like the color scheme, a regular 220 can be cerakoted or whatever and you'll have money left over. The checkering means very little to me as I like Hogue wraparounds on my pistols. The coating doesn't mean much as I don't work in a marine environment and it actually makes the trigger pull a little crunchier.

The MCO has a nice match barrel and trigger, but it's not tuned super light. If you want the 1911 trigger style then obviously you'll want the 1911 as the SIG doesn't feel at all similar.

If you're asking what I'd choose, well, obviously I chose the SIG because that's the one I still have. Doesn't mean I don't like the MCO. It just didn't win in my book.

MrMarco
07-19-2010, 11:58 AM
All very helpful feedback, thank you. I know both types of weapons have a very loyal following. In the end, it probably comes down to ergos and personal preference (very subjective). Either way, I probably can't go wrong.

neomedic
07-19-2010, 1:28 PM
Sorry for a semi-thread jack. :threadjacked:

What is difference between a Sig P220 combat and a regular ole Sig P220? Is one more accurate? Other specs?

ArcLight
07-19-2010, 1:33 PM
MC operator hands down

Crazed_SS
07-19-2010, 1:41 PM
I enjoy shooting my MC Operator much more than my P220

Also, Sig's quality control seems to have become a joke recently so I wouldnt even consider buying a new Sig.

civilsnake
07-19-2010, 1:44 PM
Sorry for a semi-thread jack. :threadjacked:

What is difference between a Sig P220 combat and a regular ole Sig P220? Is one more accurate? Other specs?

read my post.

MrMarco
07-19-2010, 2:15 PM
Hmmm, lots of support for the Springfield. The only problem is trying to track one down. I checked Gun Broker and Guns America and neither site lists a single new or used MC Op. Does anyone know where to get one these days?

wu_dot_com
07-19-2010, 2:27 PM
SA MC Operator FTW.
Hands down it is so much more refined then the P220 Combat. The P220 Combat is essentially the same as any other P220 but comes with a steel frame...the MC Operator is a completely worked 1911. You can do anything and everything to reworking a Sig trigger, it will never match the feel and break of a 1911 trigger job...so I would doubt if it would be even greater then the stock MC Operator trigger. I have owned a SAO P220 as well. I can group my shots to a small tethered hole at 25ft with any of my P220s...but I can match that with a tighter group and with less effort and ease with many other 1911s. Between the three P220s I have owned, I can not really tell the difference in shooting, they all felt nearly identical and shot exactly the same way; and some had more upgrades then the other. It truly is shooter preference, so you must shoot both to know. But for me, a 1911 like a Operator just makes shooting so much more easier and enjoyable.

correction, SIG P220 combat have the same alum frame as the rest of the 220

TZL
07-19-2010, 2:33 PM
I love my MC Op !

1 SIG fan
07-19-2010, 5:07 PM
ONLY get the combat if your willing to send it out for a trigger job. My combat and other board members combats all shoot very very low (because of the trigger). My other 220 is great. 1911 is great

That said I (obviously) love Sigs but this combat is going to grays for some trigger luvin....

gwl
07-19-2010, 6:55 PM
Nothing against the SIG but . . . MC Operator is my choice. I just happen to favor the 1911 design.

shortround1
07-19-2010, 7:03 PM
I think the Sig combats all come with Sig's short trigger (which is probably a love it or hate it thing with most people), something to keep in mind. Personally I really like my short trigger.