PDA

View Full Version : .44 magnum match grade ammo?

Beemerguy
07-19-2010, 9:31 AM
Anyone have any recommendations on ammo for a .44 mag Desert Eagle. I'm using 240 grain Magtech SJSP and it very consistently shoots low and to the right. I'm pretty sure it's not me because at the same distance I can blot out the bullseye with my .45 ACP Kimber.

Should I try a different grain? Maybe 180 or 200? Is there such thing as match grade ammo in .44 magnum? Any and all recommendations are appreciated!

wildcard
07-19-2010, 9:34 AM
Have you tried adjusting the sights?? If you're shooting straight and it's shooting consistently somewhere you don't want it to, you generally move the sights.. not change ammo.

Beemerguy
07-19-2010, 9:43 AM
Hmm it's a brand new DE with supposedly factory zeroed sights. But I'll look into it, thanks.

TakeFive
07-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Right is usually trigger finger dragging on grip or frame. Low is usually flinch, pushing in anticipation of recoil. You could change ammo to see if anything changes with it, just a box or so should prove something.

BigRich
07-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Shoot it from a solid rest and see where it hits. The sights usually come centered from the factory. They shoot it for function and call it good. Even on a custom gun, the sights will be zeroed for the person that set it up. YMMV and usually does.

ponderosa
07-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't shoot anything but 240gr or higher either, asking for cycling issues if you go lower imo/e.

Fjold
07-19-2010, 5:14 PM
Hmm it's a brand new DE with supposedly factory zeroed sights. But I'll look into it, thanks.

There is no factory zero.

Guns will shoot differently with every load and for different shooters because of their grip and how they hold their eye in relation to the sights.

Jonathan Doe
07-19-2010, 6:24 PM
Federal makes Gold Medal match ammo with 250 grain full profile jacketed bullet. They are good ammo for target shooting and hunting.