PDA

View Full Version : Discount Gun Mart in San Diego - Problem

PsychGuy274
07-19-2010, 2:41 AM
So I went in because word on the street was that they had the Mosin-Nagant M44 that I want so bad. So I went down there to check it out. At first I was happy because he told me it cost $130 and I told him that's too much and he immediately dropped it to $105. I thought that was cool and figured I'd be giving this place some business.

So there I am, trying to make up my mind if I'm going to purchase this thing and I start talking to one of the guys about some handguns I'm interested in. Him and another sales person start bantering back and forth. It was funny and I joined in. Then the other sales person said to the first guy, "Yeah, well f**k you" which, again, was funny so I laughed. So what does the first guy do? He points the gun he's holding at the other guy and pulls the trigger!

I literally almost jumped over the counter to slap him across the face! I just could not believe that 1) he pointed a gun at someone else like that and 2) that he did that in front of myself and four other customers. This might seem a little anal, but I'm super strict on gun safety and just could not believe that happened.

I ended up getting that Mosin because once I see something I want I have to have it. But I swear, I will never purchase anything from them ever again, nor will I ever send my friends there. I have had many awesome transactions at Turner's in Kearny Mesa and will continue to do business with them.

Am I overreacting?!

Sinixstar
07-19-2010, 3:06 AM
Simply not shopping there is probably not going to do a whole heck of a lot.

Better off to call/write to a manager (unless one of these two is a manager) - let them know your thoughts on the subject. probably have much more of an effect.

PsychGuy274
07-19-2010, 3:11 AM
Simply not shopping there is probably not going to do a whole heck of a lot.

Better off to call/write to a manager (unless one of these two is a manager) - let them know your thoughts on the subject. probably have much more of an effect.

That's what I'm planning on doing. Thanks for the input.:)

Corbin Dallas
07-19-2010, 6:55 AM
So I went in because word on the street was that they had the Mosin-Nagant M44 that I want so bad. So I went down there to check it out. At first I was happy because he told me it cost $130 and I told him that's too much and he immediately dropped it to $105. I thought that was cool and figured I'd be giving this place some business.

So there I am, trying to make up my mind if I'm going to purchase this thing and I start talking to one of the guys about some handguns I'm interested in. Him and another sales person start bantering back and forth. It was funny and I joined in. Then the other sales person said to the first guy, "Yeah, well f**k you" which, again, was funny so I laughed. So what does the first guy do? He points the gun he's holding at the other guy and pulls the trigger!

I literally almost jumped over the counter to slap him across the face! I just could not believe that 1) he pointed a gun at someone else like that and 2) that he did that in front of myself and four other customers. This might seem a little anal, but I'm super strict on gun safety and just could not believe that happened.

I ended up getting that Mosin because once I see something I want I have to have it. But I swear, I will never purchase anything from them ever again, nor will I ever send my friends there. I have had many awesome transactions at Turner's in Kearny Mesa and will continue to do business with them.

Am I overreacting?!

A lot of the shop guys screw around a LOT behind the counter. If it really bothers you I would send Jaybe (owner) a letter/email/phone call and let him know exactly what occured.

I would have found it odd, but as long as they are not pointing it at me or other customers, whatever. One day, it will bite one of them in the rear.

tenpercentfirearms
07-19-2010, 7:37 AM
I would let his supervisor know. I would let the supervisor know that behavior like that could potentially cause you to never set foot into the place again. I would send the supervisor a link to this thread and let them know that that kind of behavior can cause others not to set foot into the place ever again.

If DGM is a good shop, the supervisor will let the employee know how unacceptable that is and train them properly. It might even be the last straw and maybe the employee will be released.

To just not go back ever again after you pick up your Mosin is irresponsible in my opinion. You have a duty to do something about this one if you want to see that behavior change.

PolishMike
07-19-2010, 7:39 AM
Oh dgm... how I miss thee.

Can you describe the guys?

trob
07-19-2010, 7:52 AM
ive never really been a fan of that place. Iron sights is the same price to use the range and is a much nicer facility.

evidens83
07-19-2010, 8:08 AM
Write to the top of the chain and explain to them how you felt. Thats some scary gun handling I wouldn't want to be around there either.

OneSevenDeuce
07-19-2010, 8:16 AM
That is unacceptable. Even if the guys quadruple checked to make sure the gun was empty. Why? Because it is unsafe, yeah. But also because if customers see that, and I'm talking about people new to guns, then they might start to think that that kind of behavior is appropriate with guns. Then what happens? Some young man blows his friend's head off because he "saw the guys at the gun store do it."

speedgoat
07-19-2010, 8:19 AM
Am I overreacting?!

Not in the least. Pointing a weapon at someone is bad enough. Pulling the trigger while doing so is unconscionable. Are these the same guys that monitor safety on the range?

Thanks for the heads up. I've been thinking about checking that place out, but now I'll look for other options. Bummer, because it's only minutes from my house.

DAUG
07-19-2010, 9:50 AM
Agreed with all posters; Best to ***** slap these punks with an attached email of this thread to management. Let them deal with the negative bad press and correct it accordingly. Who know's you just might get an apology from them (....cold day in hell, more likely), but at least you did the right thing!

sevensix2x51
07-19-2010, 10:01 AM
i would say an authoritative pimp slap would be the least you can do for that guy. highly unsafe behavior.

but i am a guy who tries to avoid pointing a gun at anyone even if the magwell is empty and the slide is locked to the rear. ymmv...

Donny1
07-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I would not have hesitated to say something to them on the spot. That is not acceptable! If something like that happens you should ask to see the manager immediately. This person obviously needs training before being allowed to work there.

sureshot
07-19-2010, 4:17 PM
The behavior described in this post is both unprofessional and unsafe and has no business in my store & range or any other gun store or range.

As a gun store and range, it is our mission to be the model of proper firearms etiquette and safety procedures. Not only does behavior described here go against both our training and company procedures, it is rude and unprofessional, this also includes use of that kind of language on the sales floor in front of customers.

When I read this post, I was determined to find out which clerks were responsible and deal with it rapidly and in the most serious and severe manner up to and including discharge if necessary.

Since we had sold only one Nagant of the model listed recently, it was easy to determine who the clerk was and who was working with him that night.
I put a call into the customer and left a voice mail, requesting him to call me, right after I got his contact info. I am writing this at the end of the day and I as yet have not had a response to the two calls I put into the number we have for the customer.

I spoke with both clerks separately and both were bewildered and aghast that they were accused of such behavior. Both clerks said nothing of the sort happened and both said they most certainly would have remembered such an event happening. I consider both to be mature, intelligent and trustworthy employees both have been with me for a fair amount of time. The main sales clerk involved remembered the transaction in detail because the customer disagreed that he had to wait 10 days for a curio and relic firearm. He even wanted the clerk to go online and prove it to him that a waiting period applied to him. The second clerk also remembered the young man because he inquired and wondered why a folding stock semi-auto shotgun was not made or available for sale.

I then spent quite a bit of time reviewing the stores security video and I watched the customerís entire visit several times through. I saw only one period of time that two sales clerks were in front of him at the same time for anything other than the briefest second. During that time, the second clerk demonstrated a pump shotgun, including cycling the slide several times. At no time whatsoever was it evident that he mishandled the firearm or pointed it in an unsafe direction. In fact, he went out of his way to keep it pointed totally away from anybody. I concede that it is possible that the actions that the customer posted about were not visible from the camera angle that I reviewed the transaction from, but I believe that the entire event was clearly shown.

Since the original poster chose to discuss this in a public forum, I am responding in kind to him, since he has not returned either of my calls:

I invite the original poster to review the video with me and show me what I am missing.

I also invite any Calguns members to review the video and form their own opinion of the transaction. Contact me if you wish to come to my store and view the video.

As a security measure, I will not post the video because am not anxious to publicly post video that shows what areas or areas have camera coverage in my shop. And I also do not want to violate the privacy of the other customerís who were in the shop and on the video.

Thank you for reading all the way through.

Sincerely,
Jabie Gray
Owner
Discount Gun Mart

Chester
07-19-2010, 4:28 PM
Well there you go.

Let's hear it PsychGuy. Right now I honestly don't know who to believe, since I've seen some pretty retarded stuff from DGM employees and have myself swore to never go there for anything ever again for a list of my own reasons, the man's got a right to defend his store if the OP is exaggerating (though I honestly wouldn't be surprised if what he says did actually happen).

izzyb795
07-19-2010, 4:38 PM
I've been to DGM many times and have never had a bad experience.

PolishMike
07-19-2010, 4:44 PM
The behavior described in this post is both unprofessional and unsafe and has no business in my store & range or any other gun store or range.

As a gun store and range, it is our mission to be the model of proper firearms etiquette and safety procedures. Not only does behavior described here go against both our training and company procedures, it is rude and unprofessional, this also includes use of that kind of language on the sales floor in front of customers.

When I read this post, I was determined to find out which clerks were responsible and deal with it rapidly and in the most serious and severe manner up to and including discharge if necessary.

Since we had sold only one Nagant of the model listed recently, it was easy to determine who the clerk was and who was working with him that night.
I put a call into the customer and left a voice mail, requesting him to call me, right after I got his contact info. I am writing this at the end of the day and I as yet have not had a response to the two calls I put into the number we have for the customer.

I spoke with both clerks separately and both were bewildered and aghast that they were accused of such behavior. Both clerks said nothing of the sort happened and both said they most certainly would have remembered such an event happening. I consider both to be mature, intelligent and trustworthy employees both have been with me for a fair amount of time. The main sales clerk involved remembered the transaction in detail because the customer disagreed that he had to wait 10 days for a curio and relic firearm. He even wanted the clerk to go online and prove it to him that a waiting period applied to him. The second clerk also remembered the young man because he inquired and wondered why a folding stock semi-auto shotgun was not made or available for sale.

I then spent quite a bit of time reviewing the stores security video and I watched the customerís entire visit several times through. I saw only one period of time that two sales clerks were in front of him at the same time for anything other than the briefest second. During that time, the second clerk demonstrated a pump shotgun, including cycling the slide several times. At no time whatsoever was it evident that he mishandled the firearm or pointed it in an unsafe direction. In fact, he went out of his way to keep it pointed totally away from anybody. I concede that it is possible that the actions that the customer posted about were not visible from the camera angle that I reviewed the transaction from, but I believe that the entire event was clearly shown.

Since the original poster chose to discuss this in a public forum, I am responding in kind to him, since he has not returned either of my calls:

I invite the original poster to review the video with me and show me what I am missing.

I also invite any Calguns members to review the video and form their own opinion of the transaction. Contact me if you wish to come to my store and view the video.

As a security measure, I will not post the video because am not anxious to publicly post video that shows what areas or areas have camera coverage in my shop. And I also do not want to violate the privacy of the other customerís who were in the shop and on the video.

Sincerely,
Jabie Gray
Owner
Discount Gun Mart

Hey

Jabie,

How you been?

speedgoat
07-19-2010, 4:46 PM

Sincerely,
Jabie Gray
Owner
Discount Gun Mart

That sounds like a pretty stand-up response to me. It will be interesting to see where this goes from here.

PsychGuy274
07-19-2010, 5:51 PM
Jaybe,

Sorry that I didn't respond to your calls yet, but I get off of work at 5am and sleep all day. I check my email before I check my phone so you will receive a call shortly.

1) Seeing as I am currently in the process of learning about curio & relics I didn't not know that I needed the FFL03/CoE to skip the 10 day wait. I POLITELY asked if he was correct about having to wait 10 days. I said verbatim, "I'm sorry and I hate to be 'that guy,' but can you do me a favor and check for me?" He said verbatim, "Haha, don't worry about it. I'm already checking." I know that I'm not the only one that has heard of gun shop employees and rangemasters misquote laws and spread FUD frequently so I feel justified in asking. Now if I was rude about it and said, "Hey! You're wrong you idiot give me my gun right now or I'm calling the police!" that'd be a little different.

2) We never talked about semi-automatic shotguns AT ALL. We specifically talked about the Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500 while I was at the southern end of the store. While I was waiting for the other employee to check about the Mosin-Nagant at the western end of the store, the employee I was talking to early about shotguns (the one who pointed the gun at the other employee) came up to me with a Mossberg 500 with a folding stock. The only thing I ever said about folding stocks is that I don't like them and that I have a collapsible stock on my Maverick.

It wasn't the shotgun that was mishandled, it was the handgun. I believe it was the Beretta with the rotating cylinder (I don't recall which model that is). The incident happened probably about 1/3 of the way through my visit to the store. The part that you reviewed is right at the end of my visit.

I posted this in a public forum because I wanted input from others about experiences at your store to see if this was an isolated incident or not. There are mixed responses. It's not like I hold YOU responsible, you can't be everywhere your employees are and I personally don't feel you should be held responsible for THEIR poor judgment. I just wanted some feedback on whether or not I should contact you with the issue just in case I was overreacting. Apparently, now I have no choice.

I'm not trying to bash your store. I'm not trying to get your employees fired. I just saw something that made me extremely uncomfortable and that was extremely unprofessional. I have no previous beef with your store. I've never been there before. The reason I went is because it was the only one open at the time. So the first time I ever go there I see an employee point a gun at someone. How would you react? I have absolutely no reason to lie or exaggerate and I'm kind of offended at being accused of that.

sureshot
07-20-2010, 9:28 AM
Anytime somebody posts something negative on a public forum, most people would consider it bashing. If you have a concern about my store, more than once I have posted my direct phone number on here and my direct email address. Right after you made your post, somebody brought it to my attention with an email asking me: "Is this is the kind of morons you employ?" Which is pretty negative without having all the information.

I apologize that I did not give you more time to contact me before I posted, but I thought that 7 or 8 hours was enough, but again I did not know your schedule.

If you notice, I did write: "I concede that it is possible that the actions that the customer posted about were not visible from the camera angle that I reviewed the transaction from, but I believe that the entire event was clearly shown."

and:

"I invite the original poster to review the video with me and show me what I am missing. "

I never said that you were lying, only that I could not see the event and I wanted you to help me understand it better what I was missing. Although I could not see it, I very much left the possibility open that I was missing it.

I received your return call voice mail and have called and left my own voice mail. I hope we can connect and I can can get all of the information I need to resolve this issue.

I consider all of my employees while in my stores to represent me and ultimately I bear responsibility for their behavior. Both stores are open 7 days a week, 11 to 13 hours a day, depending upon the day. I cannot be on-site all of the hours we are open, nor can the store managers. I have somewhere between 15-20 employees between the two stores. If you see a problem with my employees, or have a problem that cannot be resolved through normal channels, I invite you to email me or call me directly: 619-276-8730 x 104 or email: jabieg@discountgunmart.com

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I must say, good response so far from the store owner.

Chuck P
07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Ya Its funny if you look at customer reviews they are either great or awful. I just find it strange that such vastly different experiences are taking place there. http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=16611197533648687001&q=Discount+gun+mart&gl=us&view=feature&mcsrc=detailed_reviews&num=10&start=0&ved=0CGoQuAU&ei=Lv5FTMvQO57GoASk-cT1Dw&mid=1279655635
I have seen the crappy attitude of some of the employees there, that said not everyone there is a bad employee. Obviously the owner seems happy with his employees. Everyone has the right to take there money to a competitor if they feel like what they saw or the way they were treated was wrong. I am not a big fan of making thing right on the back end of the situation. I prefer it gets done right the first time.

m1match
07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
I have been a customer of DGM (as well as other San Diego gun shops) for about 30 years now, and in my experience, I have seen excellent employees there as well as terrible employees, but throughout, Jabie has been willing to listen as well as respond to customer issues. I think his response here is fair and shows a very high level of concern and responsiveness, and the OP and Jabie should be given a chance to discuss this in person instead of engaging in an forum internet dialog which I think doesn't do justice to the OP or to Jabie.

sureshot
07-21-2010, 5:56 PM
I exchanged a couple of emails with PsychGuy274 because he works nights and sleeps days and finally got to the bottom of this whole incident. The camera angle I had been looking at did indeed block the action that PsychGuy274 was uncomfortable with. The action in question did indeed occur at a different point in his visit than what I reviewed extensively. After speaking with the correct employees, I found that the offensive action was sloppy gun safety, but not intended as pointing at the other employee and pulling the trigger. The gun was pointed down and somewhat behind, not directly at the employee, but in his general direction. Not an excuse, but not an ideal example of correct firearm handling. After today, I am certain that this employee will not allow himself to handle a firearm without proper attention to muzzle discipline.

speedgoat
07-21-2010, 6:44 PM
Sounds like problem resolved then; at least to me.

Hate to sound like a hardass, but the employees at a range/gun store have to be "above reproach" and to serve as an example, when it comes to gun safety, for everyone that walks in their door. Actions speak louder than words and a noob looking to the "experts" in the shop as an example could pick up some bad habits otherwise.

For myself, I appreciate you addressing this situation immediately and in a public forum, nontheless. I also appreciate your efforts to resolve this situation satisfactorily and to address and correct certain safety practices. I think everyone benefits from this dialogue.

I'll be sure and stop in, especially since I live close by, despite what I said in my previous post.

TKM
07-21-2010, 6:49 PM
Well handled.

A situation that should have been investigated and dealt with, was.

Props to Jaybe for response and follow-up.

Crazed_SS
07-21-2010, 6:52 PM
On a happier note, DGM has JD Machine lowers for $109.99 :)

PsychGuy274
07-21-2010, 7:01 PM
I thank Jaybie greatly for his help in resolving this matter. It was done quickly and professionally. I additionally retract my previous statement concerning not patronizing this business. I will continue to patronize this business.

I'd also like to state on the record that I usually never have any expectation concerning customer service because (as I'm sure most of you know) they usually do not take responsibility for their actions, protect their own and are generally off-putting towards complaints. However, this experience has greatly changed that attitude. There are good business owners out their and ultimately, that is what gets my business.

Thank you.

PsychGuy274
07-21-2010, 7:02 PM
On a happier note, DGM has JD Machine lowers for $109.99 :)

And this is not a happy note due to the fact that I can't afford them now. Selling something cheap that I can't afford and that I want really bad is teasing :D

speedgoat
07-21-2010, 7:06 PM
I thank Jaybie greatly for his help in resolving this matter. It was done quickly and professionally. I additionally retract my previous statement concerning not patronizing this business. I will continue to patronize this business.

I'd also like to state on the record that I usually never have any expectation concerning customer service because (as I'm sure most of you know) they usually do not take responsibility for their actions, protect their own and are generally off-putting towards complaints. However, this experience has greatly changed that attitude. There are good business owners out their and ultimately, that is what gets my business.

Thank you.

Bueno!

I love happy endings. :D

PsychGuy274
07-21-2010, 7:11 PM
Example of bad customer service! Enjoy! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkdcYlOn5M

wsmc27
07-22-2010, 9:52 AM
<snip>
I posted this in a public forum because I wanted input from others about experiences at your store ...
<snip>

Glad to read that you guys have it worked out. :thumbsup:

I missed the beginnings of this, just wishing to add my Discount Gun Mart story if I may? :eek:

Haven't been to the Discount Gun Mart on Morena Blvd. but have been to the DGM out by Gillespie Field (on Magnolia).

The people at the Santee location have been totally courteous and professional in the dozen plus times I've been there in the last few months. Hadn't done any shooting for 7+ years after coming back to San Diego (from working in Antelope Valley for 12yrs), so rented one of their .45's and used their range. Loved it!

Sooo, got all my firearms out of their storage and shortly thereafter bought a 15-22 out at DGM as well as a membership to have fun in their little range. Our kids have had their first firearms experiences there, and enjoy it as well.

Nothing but good times and good people in my short time doing business with DGM.

Thanks for letting me share. :)

(btw, I also bought one of those great JD lowers there, and as a member you get even more discount...yay!).

Chester
07-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I also bought my JD lower from Discount Gun Mart, but the one on Morena Blvd. Bought a Glock and a safe from there too. Been on the range several times... but after it was closed in May for a cleanup and the target clips were still all busted up when it reopened, haven't been back.

I've been to the store out in Santee a couple of times now, and up until this thread had just assumed they were owned by two different people considering the good service and pleasant demeanor out there is pretty much the antithesis of the more often than not, terrible customer service I've often received from the store on Morena.

Granted, I believe I've been there once when Jabie was on the floor and he ended up helping me find a bore brush. Great experience that day, and if that's the kind of service I got every time I went there, I wouldn't be writing all this. But every other time I've been there, it's been a bad trip for one reason or another... coincidentally, I only ever go there in the evenings when it seems Jabie isn't there.

Jabie, I'm with the rest of the guys here in applauding you for the way you handled this. It shows you really do care about your business and us customers and my hat's off to you for proving to be a real stand up guy. It's almost enough to make me give your Morena store another chance, but to be perfectly honest, if you're not physically there, I know I shouldn't waste my time.

Untamed1972
07-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm glad DGM stepped in an reopened the indoor range in Santee. It quite close an convenient to where I live. The last couple of times I've been in to shoot I've had the range all to myself. Nice for me....but I guess not so good for business. It's a great thing to go do on a hot afternoon too, cuz it's nicely A/C'd in there.

Also I would like to inquire about the rather attractive blonde young lady that was working there last Sun and Mon. Is she by any chance single? :whistling: I would've asked myself but she was busy with customers and didn't want to intrude.

sevensix2x51
07-22-2010, 11:54 AM
i do like the folks in magnolia, also. ive had some real pleasant experiences in that store. seems everybody in there is willing to go the extra mile for all us customers. :thumbsup:
y'all just need an sp101 in .327 fed mag for me to rent!! i wanna try(have mama try, that is) before i buy... :D

sevensix2x51
07-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm glad DGM stepped in an reopened the indoor range in Santee. It quite close an convenient to where I live. The last couple of times I've been in to shoot I've had the range all to myself. Nice for me....but I guess not so good for business. It's a great thing to go do on a hot afternoon too, cuz it's nicely A/C'd in there.

Also I would like to inquire about the rather attractive blonde young lady that was working there last Sun and Mon. Is she by any chance single? :whistling: I would've asked myself but she was busy with customers and didn't want to intrude.

pinned. :D

creepy..... :hide:

Untamed1972
07-23-2010, 6:50 AM
pinned. :D

creepy..... :hide:

LOL.....I can't help it if she's cute! :p

PsychGuy274
07-23-2010, 6:56 AM
LOL.....I can't help it if she's cute! :p

Go get 'em tiger :cool: