PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to get a gun in CA?

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Long story short, I moved here from AZ. Kept my drivers license in AZ so I can smog my car. I am a muscle car enthusiast and as we all know that is just yet another hobby that is hard to have in this great state. Well there was no way I was just going to park my hot rod because it doesn't meet this states retarded smog laws. So I opted to keep the Drivers License and Registration in AZ.

Now my question is, because my drivers license is AZ, does that mean I can't purchase a firearm in CA. Even for home defense?

I swear some of the laws in this country, especially this state are so F'ed up it's ridiculous...

norcal.xd
07-19-2010, 12:45 AM
you can not buy a firearm in ca..... you need to be a ca resident to buy a gun........that doesnt mean you can not have one in ca with you in a locked container while traveling in a car( if you bought a gun in az before you came to ca)......you will still be able to use it in a h/d situation or even take it target shooting... but as soon as you change what state you live in you will need to register it before 30 days.......i hope this isnt confussing.....

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 12:47 AM
hmmm.... so I'd need to buy it in AZ and drive all the way over there to pick it up. Then drive back here with it in my trunk in a locked container?

what a pain in the ***...

DSA_FAL
07-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Go get a CA ID card (not a license) and then you can buy guns with it. Then you can keep your DL too.

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Go get a CA ID card (not a license) and then you can buy guns with it. Then you can keep your DL too.

oh really? I can do that even if I'm not technically a resident?

Quiet
07-19-2010, 12:52 AM
oh really? I can do that even if I'm not technically a resident?

If you are not a CA resident, then you can not purchase a handgun in CA.

norcal.xd
07-19-2010, 12:52 AM
yeah only ca residents can buy guns but the law doesnt say that you can not bring in your gun for your ca stay......

Quiet
07-19-2010, 12:55 AM
yeah only ca residents can buy guns but the law doesnt say that you can not bring in your gun for your ca stay......

... just don't bring any large capacity magazines into CA.

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 12:56 AM
LOL ok... let me clarify...

according to CA I am not a resident because I am not registered as such as I explained above. But I do live here...

However, I wouldn't want to go into the DMV to register for a CA ID if that means they take away my AZ DL... Then I couldn't drive my car here...

Quiet
07-19-2010, 12:57 AM
LOL ok... let me clarify...

according to CA I am not a resident because I am not registered as such as I explained above. But I do live here...

However, I wouldn't want to go into the DMV to register for a CA ID if that means they take away my AZ DL... Then I couldn't drive my car here...

FYI.
CA DMV is cracking down on CA residents that register their vehicles in other states.
Because the state needs money, this has become a priority for them.

According to the CA DMV, if you do any of the following they consider you a CA resident and need to register your vehicle with CA.
•Accept gainful employment in California.
•Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
•Rent or lease a residence in California.
•Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
•Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

If you've done any of the above, eventually the CA DMV will catch up to you.
May take a couple of years though. :p
Unless, someone (like your neighbors/co-workers/classmates) rats you out to the DMV.

norcal.xd
07-19-2010, 12:58 AM

i dont really know how that would go since you would be an out of state visitor..... i would try to get a ca legal gun and mags, just so it dosnt look weird to people when you go shoot it.......

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 1:12 AM
FYI.
CA DMV is cracking down on CA residents that register their vehicles in other states.
Because the state needs money, this has become a priority for them.

According to the CA DMV, if you do any of the following they consider you a CA resident and need to register your vehicle with CA.
•Accept gainful employment in California.
•Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
•Rent or lease a residence in California.
•Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
•Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

If you've done any of the above, eventually the CA DMV will catch up to you.
May take a couple of years though. :p
Unless, someone (like your neighbors/co-workers/classmates) rats you out to the DMV.

Oh I know all about this...

Got really nothing to say about it, except what the hell do they expect me to do? I wouldn't mind registering my car here if they made it even practical. But they basically want me to either convert it back to stock, or sell it and not bring it here. Sorry but neither one of those is going to happen. I've put too much money, blood, sweat and tears into that thing. I don't mind doing things legal, but they need to make it obtainable and get rid of some of the retarded laws they have. Like the "visual inspection" when getting a vehicle smogged... WTF is that? If it runs clean enough for the sniffer that is all that should matter.

Guess I'll be "renting" in AZ for a while at my buddies house...

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 1:17 AM
Let me ask you guys this... I know shotgun laws here are different from handguns. Could I purchase a shotgun without needing a CA DL?

Quiet
07-19-2010, 1:19 AM
Let me ask you guys this... I know shotgun laws here are different from handguns. Could I purchase a shotgun without needing a CA DL?

No.

In order to purchase a firearm in CA, you need to have one of the following:
* valid CA Driver's License
* valid CA Identification card
* valid military ID with orders for CA.

norcal.xd
07-19-2010, 1:21 AM
maybe airsoft......lol

norcal.xd
07-19-2010, 1:24 AM
i hear some counties in ca does not smog......not for sure which but my friend said that he got a po box in a smog free county for his mustang......

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 1:30 AM
Damn it! LOL

as far as the smog thing goes, pretty sure you need to have proof of residency in that county.

Sam
07-19-2010, 8:08 AM
i would try to get a ca legal gun and mags, just so it dosnt look weird to people when you go shoot it.......

Why is that important at all? As long as he doesn't violate any laws then it shouldn't matter what he looks like to other people. Oh, and what's a California legal gun? I don't see that anywhere in the Penal Code.

07-19-2010, 8:23 AM
Why is that important at all? As long as he doesn't violate any laws then it shouldn't matter what he looks like to other people.

It seems like to me that he is a-ok with violating laws from the get-go.

civilsnake
07-19-2010, 8:34 AM
What year is your car?

gorenut
07-19-2010, 8:41 AM
maybe airsoft......lol

Nope, even with an airsoft you need to be a valid CA resident with appropriate IDs.

JK

Goodluck on everything though. I'm rootin for you to find some way to do this legitimately!

C.W.M.V.
07-19-2010, 8:47 AM
Soul you coming over from LS1tech? White TA w/cammed LS2 right? Built at CMS?

MossbergMan
07-19-2010, 9:06 AM
Here's the deal with looking "weird" with out of state guns and magazines:
Post ban guns, such as Springfield XD and S&W M&P's are sold in other states with hi-cap magazines. Although the guns are good to go here the magazines are not. Importing a hi-cap magazine is a serious offense if caught and there are those motivated DDA's that would be happy to add that charge to something else if that were the case. I brought my out of state XD's to CA and had to leave the standard mags in NV. it just wasn't worth it(for a couple of extra rounds). Oh sure I could look like a Rebel with a Cause at our matches and thumb my nose at the system, right up to point they clamp the handcuffs on me behind my back should I be caught. Savvy cops know what guns are post-ban manufatured and cannot have standard capacity mags (read:hi-caps) in CA. Unlike Glocks, Para Ords, STI, S&W (pre sigma/MP) that all had pre-ban standard capacity you can't tell what's a true pre-ban and what's a "replacement" kit.
So from my point of view, that's the deal with looking wierd at the range. I see these people at matches all the time. They load and make ready their XD and in goes a 15 rounder, stupid, or worse they have the hi-cap riding proudly in a mag pouch displaying rounds above 10. If I see it, then some else looking for it is going to see it too.

The only weird gun I can think of that would show up on a range would have to be a "Judge". CA. defines those as a short barreled shotgun. W/o the proper permits it's hard to explain how and why you have one here.

Sam
07-19-2010, 9:39 AM
Here's the deal with looking "weird" with out of state guns and magazines:
Post ban guns, such as Springfield XD and S&W M&P's are sold in other states with hi-cap magazines. Although the guns are good to go here the magazines are not. Importing a hi-cap magazine is a serious offense if caught and there are those motivated DDA's that would be happy to add that charge to something else if that were the case. I brought my out of state XD's to CA and had to leave the standard mags in NV. it just wasn't worth it(for a couple of extra rounds). Oh sure I could look like a Rebel with a Cause at our matches and thumb my nose at the system, right up to point they clamp the handcuffs on me behind my back should I be caught. Savvy cops know what guns are post-ban manufatured and cannot have standard capacity mags (read:hi-caps) in CA. Unlike Glocks, Para Ords, STI, S&W (pre sigma/MP) that all had pre-ban standard capacity you can't tell what's a true pre-ban and what's a "replacement" kit.
So from my point of view, that's the deal with looking wierd at the range. I see these people at matches all the time. They load and make ready their XD and in goes a 15 rounder, stupid, or worse they have the hi-cap riding proudly in a mag pouch displaying rounds above 10. If I see it, then some else looking for it is going to see it too.

The only weird gun I can think of that would show up on a range would have to be a "Judge". CA. defines those as a short barreled shotgun. W/o the proper permits it's hard to explain how and why you have one here.

I'll agree that importing into California magazines with capacities greater than 10 is a crime but "weird" looking guns is not. Furthermore, unless you know for certain how those people got standard capacity magazines for their XDs and M&Ps, don't assume they are breaking the law. It's weird, so what? We're in California, lots of average stuff in free states look weird to us.

speedgoat
07-19-2010, 9:46 AM
Do you have a 2nd/alternate residence in AZ? If not, can you justify one on paper (i.e. family members, friends, etc.)?

When we moved out here, we kept our 2nd home in CO. My truck was registered in that county because there were no smog testing requirements for registration.

We bought a house out here, I got a CA driver's license, but kept my truck CO papered. We maintained 2 residences so it was legit. I also traveled back and forth often enough to make the case that the truck was only visiting CA temporarily if I were ever to be challenged on it. We did have a 2nd vehicle that was CA registered though.

There are ways around it, just gotta be a little creative.

SIKwitIT
07-19-2010, 9:59 AM

haha i was thinking the same thing.

Freagan
07-19-2010, 10:09 AM

I love how we can't under just about any circumstances have a Judge in CA, yet just about every Walmart that sells ammo in CA always carries .410 handgun ammo :confused:

It always looks untouched too :rolleyes:

C.W.M.V.
07-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Wrong...Go to the nearest CA DMV office, get a new driver's license, register your car, smog it, then with your shiny new driver's license go to the nearest CA gun dealer, and shop to your heart's content.

By the way, the excuse of "muscle car" doesn't wash. I know lots of people with serious muscle cars in California, who are perfectly able to smog their cars and drive them legally. Our neighbors' Mustang has about 500 HP, as an example. This is a question of attitude and effort.

Thank you Mr. Troll. As always your input is appreciated.
If "Your neighbor" really has a 500 rwhp rustang that he gets smogged either 1) Hes a liar, 2) He has a car thats older than 1972, 3) Hes a liar, 4) It has a very expensive forced induction setup, 5) Hes a liar, 6) He does what alot of people do and gets a special smog certification at a premium cost.
Fact is that the laws regulating the hotrod/muscle car industry in cali are WAY more restrictive than all the gun stuff people here complain about.

I cannot count how many of those things Ive seen that have a turbonator and a flowmaster catback and claim 500 rwhp.

haha i was thinking the same thing.

180ls1 is on here too. Im starting to wish I had just imported my LS1tech screen name.

Cali-Shooter
07-19-2010, 10:26 AM
I'll agree that importing into California magazines with capacities greater than 10 is a crime but "weird" looking guns is not. Furthermore, unless you know for certain how those people got standard capacity magazines for their XDs and M&Ps, don't assume they are breaking the law. It's weird, so what? We're in California, lots of average stuff in free states look weird to us.

+9999. Just because someone has a "high capacity" magazine that is *not* pre-ban possible does NOT give you an excuse that it is a magazine of illegal origins. For example, there is a Calgunner that I know of that has x3 20 round magazines for a FN Five Seven handgun. How did a civilian get hold of such forbidden contraband???!!! Why, those magazines were acquired during his service as a LEO.
So please, to those who point fingers at people with pre-ban impossible standard capacity magazines, look at the bigger picture.

orangeusa
07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
A lot of cars look fast, then they step on it and just get louder.. Reminds me of the SouthPark episode about Harleys.... :)

Once again - how year (how old) is your car?

And you might want to work with the smog laws instead of against them. Buy a classic muscle car and sell whatever you have - or just try to beat CARB. You will lose. Or go the hard way, and buy aftermarket parts that are okayed by CARB, but you will pay a LOT. Classic cars get a 'bye' - I saw an older VW with a freaking HEMI and blower in the front!! (Orange classic car street show). Most guys have older Mustangs, Chevy's... and they can be made to handle.. Resale value is quite bad - so there are a lot of cars selling for 1/2 what the guy has invested in it....

SIKwitIT
07-19-2010, 11:07 AM
180ls1 is on here too. Im starting to wish I had just imported my LS1tech screen name.

yeah time to time ill see some firearms go up for sale in the western section of tech, always wondered how many people were also on this board

SIKwitIT
07-19-2010, 11:11 AM
A lot of cars look fast, then they step on it and just get louder.. Reminds me of the SouthPark episode about Harleys.... :)

Once again - how year (how old) is your car?

And you might want to work with the smog laws instead of against them. Buy a classic muscle car and sell whatever you have - or just try to beat CARB. You will lose. Or go the hard way, and buy aftermarket parts that are okayed by CARB, but you will pay a LOT. Classic cars get a 'bye' - I saw an older VW with a freaking HEMI and blower in the front!! (Orange classic car street show). Most guys have older Mustangs, Chevy's... and they can be made to handle.. Resale value is quite bad - so there are a lot of cars selling for 1/2 what the guy has invested in it....

his car is a 1998+, and these smog laws you cant really work with... if the CAT is moved from its factory location then it already wont pass visual, even if the car would pass the sniffer test it wouldnt matter because it wouldnt pass visual. So more than likely your gonna have to buy a "special" smog certificate which will cost you a pretty penny

SIK02SS
07-19-2010, 11:12 AM

correct ;)

C.W.M.V.
07-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Both of his Mustangs are late 60s models. The 500HP one is a convertible, completely restored. That engine is a custom build, starting with an exotic block (not a stock Ford block), and adding a lot of exotic components (expensive doesn't even begin to describe it). Significant modifications to the frame, rear suspension, and drive line, to handle the power.

The second Mustang is a fastback, currently being restored (no decision on the engine yet, but our neighbor said that he would go much more conventional then the first one, probably even starting from a stock 351 block).

Would you like to retract your "troll" and "liar" statements now?

In any event, this is not a discussion about cars. It is a discussion about the OP's suggestion that he could maintain his legal residency in AZ, while really living in CA. That is a no-go.

...If "Your neighbor" really has a 500 rwhp rustang that he gets smogged either 1) Hes a liar, 2) He has a car thats older than 1972, ...

Thank you for proving my argument. Those cars dont have to get smogged due to age.

civilsnake
07-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Thank you for proving my argument. Those cars dont have to get smogged due to age.

Relax your sphincter. The OP never said how old his car is. When I hear "muscle car", I think late 60s/early 70s. Which is why I bothered to ask. You're the one who assumed the neighbor's cars were newer. You're the one who made assumptions and looks dumb.

DannyZRC
07-19-2010, 12:31 PM
you mean to tell me that the 4th gen F-body doesn't have any goodies available with CARB EO's?

bull****.

not that I disagree with you on the visual inspection, that **** needs to go like NAO.

dcbiii
07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Abide by the law.

Don't **** up my breathing air because your busted ride won't pass smog--you can lease a new car for <$200\month.

Save your "muscle-car" for the track, unless it's exempt for classic-status.

speedgoat
07-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Abide by the law.

Don't **** up my breathing air because your busted ride won't pass smog--you can lease a new car for <$200\month.

And away we go. . .

:D

Brujo
07-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Having lived my whole life in CA, mostly socal. I can tell you our air quality has improved drastically with smog laws. There used to be days when we were not allowed to go play outside at school. This is a thing of the past. Break all the laws you wish just don't break the ones that affect other people and our planet negatively.

Peace

SIKwitIT
07-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Having lived my whole life in CA, mostly socal. I can tell you our air quality has improved drastically with smog laws. There used to be days when we were not allowed to go play outside at school. This is a thing of the past. Break all the laws you wish just don't break the ones that affect other people and our planet negatively.

Peace
what people dont understand is most of these late models performance vehicles, camaro's, mustangs, will pass the sniffer stick test in the exhaust, they just get the boot right off the bat because of visual, and yeah there are CARB approved items for 4th gen camaros, but that will only take you so far, like K&N intake and some exhaust, big whoop now you have 15 more hp than you started with. You have to do long tube headers and a cam to just start opening the potential of these motors...

SIKwitIT
07-19-2010, 1:06 PM
correct me if im wrong, but couldnt the OP just get a CA ID and show a 2nd form of residency? Like a bill or bank statement to your new place in CA?
So he could purchase in CA and still keep the car registered in AZ?

rubber duckie
07-19-2010, 1:26 PM
correct me if im wrong, but couldnt the OP just get a CA ID and show a 2nd form of residency? Like a bill or bank statement to your new place in CA?

yes you can, you can walk into the dmv, say that you lost your AZ id and get the CA one as well.. i have both my CA and NJ, i have a car registered in NJ as well as CA, different cars though.

orangeusa
07-19-2010, 1:43 PM
his car is a 1998+, and these smog laws you cant really work with... if the CAT is moved from its factory location then it already wont pass visual, even if the car would pass the sniffer test it wouldnt matter because it wouldnt pass visual. So more than likely your gonna have to buy a "special" smog certificate which will cost you a pretty penny

1. Age of his car is unknown at time of your post. And I think still is unknown.
2. Most posters here know how smog 'visual' and testing works. I sure do.
3. I was referring to aftermarket turbos and aftermarket exhaust systems that ARE CARB approved.
4. My major point went right over your head - sell the car he has and get a pre-1973 muscle car.

Then modify the heck out of that.

How did a post in the handgun thread about handguns go to how to hop up your Camaro?????

stix213
07-19-2010, 1:48 PM
We should really not help people break CA law on Calguns guys. The op legally has 10 days from the point he moved to CA to get a CA driver's license if he intends on continuing to drive his car, and he is required within 20 days to register his vehicle in the state. Simply follow that law you are already required to do and you are legal to buy a firearm here.

If the op wants to break that law, we shouldn't be trying to figure out ways around other laws for him in my opinion. Plus it looks bad on Calguns

Masterdebater
07-19-2010, 2:15 PM
get an illegal smog test costs 150-300 bux. or sell ur car and get something good on gas cuz cali sucks on gas prices. also its 1975 or earlier to be smog exempt, not 72 or 73 lol.

C.W.M.V.
07-19-2010, 2:23 PM
Relax your sphincter. The OP never said how old his car is. When I hear "muscle car", I think late 60s/early 70s. Which is why I bothered to ask. You're the one who assumed the neighbor's cars were newer. You're the one who made assumptions and looks dumb.

OPs car is a 98-02 TA, hell I can give you the cam specs if he said it was cool. I'm well aware of what his car is unless he has changed it lately (408 perhaps?:43:)
I stated that the neighbors cars wouldn't be smogable with several exceptions, which I cited. I was correct. Next!

you mean to tell me that the 4th gen F-body doesn't have any goodies available with CARB EO's?

bull****.

not that I disagree with you on the visual inspection, that **** needs to go like NAO.

The only mods that are going to have a carb number are amature I-can-do-it-under-a-shade-tree mods. Anything worth doing that makes actual power is defacto illegal in this state regardless of how the car runs. I can build a Z28 that literally runs cleaner than any brand new stock V6 camaro but it will be illegal because the header company didn't pay californias tariffs.

Abide by the law.

Ignorance. Assuming the CARB regs actually has something to do with the air is like saying the brady campaign actually stops gun violence. I know of plenty of 450+ rwhp cars that run as clean as a camry. CARB is to cars what the approved list is to handguns.

Peace

Assuming we can actually hurt this planet is a great overestimation of our importance and power. I see your point of view though and agree that industry standards have changed the quality of life in socal greatly. CARB is just more state run extortion. Hell they wanted to outlaw black cars for christ sake.

Arondos
07-19-2010, 2:35 PM
Yeah so the bottom line is. you are breaking the law because you don't like the law and are asking please tell me how to break some more laws. If you want to run a mod'd car that can't be smogged without costing you a bundle maybe you should have done some research before you moved. Instead of trying to go around firearms laws that can get you in a whole lot of trouble.

SoCalLA
07-19-2010, 2:42 PM
We should really not help people break CA law on Calguns guys. The op legally has 10 days from the point he moved to CA to get a CA driver's license if he intends on continuing to drive his car, and he is required within 20 days to register his vehicle in the state. Simply follow that law you are already required to do and you are legal to buy a firearm here.

If the op wants to break that law, we shouldn't be trying to figure out ways around other laws for him in my opinion. Plus it looks bad on Calguns

+1 Why has this thread turned into a dialog on how to get around CA laws? If you don't agree with them, contribute to their change or move.

norcal.xd
07-19-2010, 3:15 PM
this went from a gun question to a smog debate.....lol

novabrian
07-19-2010, 3:23 PM
Just buy one in AZ then bring it here.What kind of Muscle car do you have?

wamphyri13
07-19-2010, 3:24 PM
On the issue of the car, here's what I remember from my days of working at service stations.
1)1974 or before to be smog exempt. No biannual smog required.
2)Vehicle, regardless of year, must be smogged to be brought into state.
So if vehicle is classic muscle car, it need not be smogged, but will still have to be smogged once to be brought into state. Pretty much has to have era correct smog equipment, (usually a PCV valve or EGR valve) for visual, and run better than era standards. After that,, you're good to go.
If it's a later model car, I can't tell you anything more.
Ryan

GrinderCB
07-19-2010, 4:37 PM

As far as the hi-cap mags, my understanding is that they can't be sold here or acquired out of state and brought here by CA-residents. Also, that if you own them at the time you change your residency to CA, you get to keep and repair them (aka hi-cap rebuild kits) but you can't acquire more.

I get it about the car. A college friend of mine years ago was in a similar situation with his car from Idaho. Once a year he'd go up to visit his folks and he'd time it so that he could make any state renewals.

If you want a gun and are legally a resident of another state then your best bet would appear to be to go to AZ and do it there. Better selection also, many models that you can get there but not here. Just watch your step. Not sure at what point you'd be considered to be a de facto resident of California and where the state would have a problem with your status.

Finally, Kalifornia didn't invent government &%@#$, just made it an art form.

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 5:36 PM
Sorry guys, I work graveyards and haven't had a chance to reply to all the lovely posts...

Let me get one thing straight. I'm not "trying" to break any laws. In fact I'm looking for ways to do this legally. Which is why I asked all the questions. I'm sorry many of you feel like I'm a hardened criminal, but i'm not. I have a clean record, I work hard to pay my bills everyday, I'm a recent college graduate, and a firm believer in our rights.

Yes... I think some of the laws of this state are retarded. Newsflash... I'm not alone. I would love to figure out how to do some of these things legally but unfortunately CA makes most of this just about unobtainable. So, I try to go about it the best way I can.

I'm not wanting a gun for anything but protection. If that's such a crime then we have more major concerns than me trying to have a hobby with a car.

Both of his Mustangs are late 60s models. The 500HP one is a convertible, completely restored. That engine is a custom build, starting with an exotic block (not a stock Ford block), and adding a lot of exotic components (expensive doesn't even begin to describe it). Significant modifications to the frame, rear suspension, and drive line, to handle the power.

The second Mustang is a fastback, currently being restored (no decision on the engine yet, but our neighbor said that he would go much more conventional then the first one, probably even starting from a stock 351 block).

Would you like to retract your "troll" and "liar" statements now?

In any event, this is not a discussion about cars. It is a discussion about the OP's suggestion that he could maintain his legal residency in AZ, while really living in CA. That is a no-go.

Man... if you didn't work at (edited for privacy) I'd think you were a cop. And you apparently have absolutely no idea about cars and smog laws in CA. Also I don't live in the serene ritzy mountain area of (edited for privacy). I'm sure with all the money you have your able to do other "legal" things/hobbies or either pay people off. Sorry I have little money, and have 1 friggin hobby. And it's not drug dealing, so stop talking to me as if it were. Gotta love liberals...

He doesn't look dumb. He knows me from another forum and is in fact correct.

that would be me :)

bull****.

dude... if you only knew how ridiculous it is. I have a friggin CARB number for my spark plug wires! So if I need a CARB number for those, just try to imagine the crap I'd have to go through to get any mod worth doing passed...

Abide by the law.

LOL... wrong. I can, and don't mind making my car run cleaner than it was when it came out of the factory. Problem is, even then, CA would still not pass it because of the "visual inspection" meaning I don't have the correct brand name on a part because the company making the part didn't pay CA off to sell it as a CARB certified part.

what people dont understand is most of these late models performance vehicles, camaro's, mustangs, will pass the sniffer stick test in the exhaust, they just get the boot right off the bat because of visual, and yeah there are CARB approved items for 4th gen camaros, but that will only take you so far, like K&N intake and some exhaust, big whoop now you have 15 more hp than you started with. You have to do long tube headers and a cam to just start opening the potential of these motors...

THANK YOU!

Which is basically what I was asking... what's so illegal about that?

yes you can, you can walk into the dmv, say that you lost your AZ id and get the CA one as well.. i have both my CA and NJ, i have a car registered in NJ as well as CA, different cars though.

good to know... :)

1. Age of his car is unknown at time of your post. And I think still is unknown.
2. Most posters here know how smog 'visual' and testing works. I sure do.
3. I was referring to aftermarket turbos and aftermarket exhaust systems that ARE CARB approved.
4. My major point went right over your head - sell the car he has and get a pre-1973 muscle car.

Then modify the heck out of that.

How did a post in the handgun thread about handguns go to how to hop up your Camaro?????

car is a '99
makes about 450rwhp (rear wheel horsepower) = 515fwhp (flywheel horsepower)

It's the last car my father and I ever worked on before he passed away from cancer. So it has a great deal of sentimental value to me. It's also a perfectly good example of modern day american muscle. Sorry if I'm not so quick to sale it...

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4336/deluse12.jpg

get an illegal smog test costs 150-300 bux. or sell ur car and get something good on gas cuz cali sucks on gas prices. also its 1975 or earlier to be smog exempt, not 72 or 73 lol.

won't ever sell this car. I'll have it till I'm old and gray. I thought about going the route you mentioned. Only problem is, if I ever get pulled over, they can send me to a state ref and then I'm royally screwed. However if I am from AZ they can't do much of anything.

OPs car is a 98-02 TA, hell I can give you the cam specs if he said it was cool. I'm well aware of what his car is unless he has changed it lately (408 perhaps?:43:)
I stated that the neighbors cars wouldn't be smogable with several exceptions, which I cited. I was correct. Next!

The only mods that are going to have a carb number are amature I-can-do-it-under-a-shade-tree mods. Anything worth doing that makes actual power is defacto illegal in this state regardless of how the car runs. I can build a Z28 that literally runs cleaner than any brand new stock V6 camaro but it will be illegal because the header company didn't pay californias tariffs.

Ignorance. Assuming the CARB regs actually has something to do with the air is like saying the brady campaign actually stops gun violence. I know of plenty of 450+ rwhp cars that run as clean as a camry. CARB is to cars what the approved list is to handguns.

Assuming we can actually hurt this planet is a great overestimation of our importance and power. I see your point of view though and agree that industry standards have changed the quality of life in socal greatly. CARB is just more state run extortion. Hell they wanted to outlaw black cars for christ sake.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badhabit90
07-19-2010, 10:16 PM
in CA, if you register to get an ID card, the system will show that you still may have a DL which infact may be CANCELLED through AZ DMV. i tried this once in NV and was told the same thing. the system they use when you get pulled over will show you have a DL in AZ and that you have applied for a CA ID card. which in turn may show you are trying to obtain residency. unless you are military, you are required by law to change your address and DL within 10 days....

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#CDL

IF you get pulled over and receive a citation, they can tow your vehicle if they see it on the street again and your driving it without a CA license. shady i know, but thats how they may play it.

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Public apologies for being too harsh. It just gets very tiring seeing people again and again looking for loopholes in the law - when usually they find the boobytraps instead. It's pretty simple: If one lives only in California (and the stay in other states is only short vacations, or not intended to be permanent), then one is only a California resident. Even a mailing address or an ID card or a DL from another state isn't enough to establish residency; it would take a significant presence in the other state, for example a job there, a permanent place to stay (not just visiting family), and so on.

We all agree with you (at least I think most of the people here agree). And we are all trying to get the laws changed, even if that goes slowly. Unfortunately, in the meantime, they are the laws. Bummer.

Here is a story about another friend. He likes to drive old BMWs (30-year old 2002s and such, but recent enough that they need to be smogged). He keeps two engines for each car - one that is completely boring and passes smog, and a second one that he drives with. He can do an engine swap in 3 hours at home, which means that getting the car smogged turns into an all-day affair, but it gets the job done. I don't think this technique would work for a modern car - changing out the exhaust system, and the zillions of little things that clutter the engine compartment today would take much longer. But maybe there is a little germ of a good idea in there?

Apology accepted and please take mine in return for the knee jerk reaction I had.

You are correct. Some people can swap out parts, motors etc... fairly easily. Unfortunately in my case, my entire engine is not stock, nor do I have the old one. It would take me basically purchasing a whole LS1 motor just so I could pass the smog. Not to mention (as you mentioned) swapping out my entire exhaust (headers, y-pipe (could probably keep my catback)) and intake systems. I'd have to purchase new EGR and AIR units (systems that are put into new cars to reduce hydrocarbons that go into the atmosphere) because I no longer have those...

And just to reiterate to some people that have mentioned the whole air thing... no worries, I barely even drive this car. It's a weekend fun toy. It may see the road once or twice a month. So it's hardly a gross polluter. And like mentioned before. If they made it possible to get smogged legally by how clean the car ran. I'd make damn sure it was done... it'd be much less of a headache. Unfortunately that's not even an option.

anyways yea... gun thread turned into a vehicle emissions thread. Mostly my fault LOL

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
in CA, if you register to get an ID card, the system will show that you still may have a DL which infact may be CANCELLED through AZ DMV. i tried this once in NV and was told the same thing. the system they use when you get pulled over will show you have a DL in AZ and that you have applied for a CA ID card. which in turn may show you are trying to obtain residency. unless you are military, you are required by law to change your address and DL within 10 days....

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#CDL

IF you get pulled over and receive a citation, they can tow your vehicle if they see it on the street again and your driving it without a CA license. shady i know, but thats how they may play it.

Good information to know thanks for the input! I think as soon as I get the chance I'm probably going to move to another state. I lived here for 7 years, moved to AZ for 2, then just came back here. AZ was hot yes, but their laws made much more sense and you got to enjoy many more rights, including carrying a firearm. Unfortunately the govt. here is ruining it for a lot of people.

Wonder what it's like in Colorado? Always wanted to move there...

vintagedude88
07-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Not sure where you're at in Kali but if you're in the L.A. area, talk to Shawn over at the Pasadena Turners store. He has ties to AZ and knows the gun laws well enough to help you with your situation.

BTW, I had an LS2 GTO until Dec. of last year when a driver with only a WA driver's license and a CA ID card ran a red light and totaled my car. His insurance was questionable and the ownership of his vehicle as well. There are good reasons for some of the laws here in Kali. I only wished at that time that the laws were more strict to have kept that joker from driving here in the streets.

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Not sure where you're at in Kali but if you're in the L.A. area, talk to Shawn over at the Pasadena Turners store. He has ties to AZ and knows the gun laws well enough to help you with your situation.

BTW, I had an LS2 GTO until Dec. of last year when a driver with only a WA driver's license and a CA ID card ran a red light and totaled my car. His insurance was questionable and the ownership of his vehicle as well. There are good reasons for some of the laws here in Kali. I only wished at that time that the laws were more strict to have kept that joker from driving here in the streets.

thanks Vintage I might just give him a call. Good to see a lot of fellow car guys on here. Seems the LSX crowd is popular! Sorry to hear about your GTO :( Did the guy that hit you end up paying for your car? Did his insurance pony up? Don't really see how that could be a problem. Even if he was from out of state.

speedgoat
07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Wonder what it's like in Colorado? Always wanted to move there...

It rules. :D

Lived there for 8 years. As far as the smog thing goes, it depends on where you live. I was in the Denver area a few weeks ago and was surprised to see smog-sniffing trucks parked at freeway on-ramps. I guess the idea is that as you drive by these "stations", they sample your emission output and decide whether you are legal or not, on the spot. :confused:

If you're vehicle is registered in one of the more rural areas, depending on the specific location, no smog check is required whatsoever. We had a place in Summit County and I know for a fact that no smog checks were required there.

As for gun laws, CCW is shall issue and there are no bull**** AW type restrictions like we enjoy here. I still can't believe I moved back here from there. I kick myself every day. :nuts:

vintagedude88
07-20-2010, 3:28 PM
thanks Vintage I might just give him a call. Good to see a lot of fellow car guys on here. Seems the LSX crowd is popular! Sorry to hear about your GTO :( Did the guy that hit you end up paying for your car? Did his insurance pony up? Don't really see how that could be a problem. Even if he was from out of state.

My insurance comped me less my deductable. The other guy's insurance was suppose to pay back my insurance and me for my $1000 deductable but I haven't seen the money at all yet. The problem is that other states have different laws about requiring insurance to drive. Which means that he may not have any insurance at all. He was driving in a car owned by someone else registered in CA and I'm not sure if the car owner's insurance kicked in to cover my loss. Plus, I'm not sure if the vehicle insurance covers losses if it is driven by someone that doesn't have a CA drivers license.

I hope Shawn at Turners was able to help. If he can't get you into a gun here in Kali, then I doubt anybody else can either.

eccvets
07-20-2010, 6:57 PM
not only do you need a ca licenese, you need proof of residency!

orangeusa
07-20-2010, 7:01 PM
I'm no help here, but dig the pic of the TA. Good luck!

85FourEyedGT
07-20-2010, 9:22 PM
sell it, get an 03 cobra

mine is 480hp and passes smog with the stock midpipe

ive seen 600hp twin screw cobras pass smog with stock midpipes

no cams, headers or different heads needed

just sayin :P

Anchors
07-21-2010, 2:08 AM
I've purchased guns in CA and I have a CA ID and an AZ DL.

How do you think people who live in one state six months and one in the other live?
If you truly have more than one residence you are a resident in CA when you are physically here and a resident in AZ when you are physically there.