PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Transferring

Pilot
07-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Hello guys! Been a nice cool day here in San Diego. A much needed change from these past few days. I have a brother in Alaska that has a 9mm Beretta and he was thinking of giving it to me and since I've never bought a handgun before I was curious how the process worked. I've purchased a few rifles and have gone through that but I'm not purchasing the handgun this time, just receiving it as a gift. Can he just give it to me and call it a day? I don't want to do anything illegal or stupid so I always check with CalGuns first. He can't personally ship it to me correct (with FedEx or UPS)? What if he drives down with it and gives it to me in person? Do I still need to get it registered? Thanks.

Quiet
07-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Federal laws prohibits the transfer of firearms between non-licensed residents of different states, unless the transfer is done through a FFL dealer in the recipiant's state of residence.

So, the handgun needs to be transfered through a CA FFL dealer.

In order for a CA FFL dealer to transfer the handgun to you, the handgun will need to be on the approved list or be exempt from the approved list.

It can either be shipped to a CA FFL dealer or be brought in person to the CA FFL dealer.

You will also need a HSC or be exempt from the HSC, will need to have a valid CA DL/ID and be able to show proof of residency.

ke6guj
07-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Can he just give it to me and call it a day? I don't want to do anything illegal or stupid so I always check with CalGuns first. He can't personally ship it to me correct (with FedEx or UPS)? What if he drives down with it and gives it to me in person?no to all of the above. to do so would violate federal and state law.

Your brother would need to deliver the handgun to a CA FFL (either by shipping it, or hand delivering it) who would transfer it to you. In this case, the handgun would need to be on the Roster of not unsafe handguns, or be roster-exempt (such as C&R, some single-action revolovers, or some single-shot pistols). If it wasn't on the roster, or roster-exempt, you could not receive it from your brother through a CA FFL.

Pilot
07-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Can my brother personally ship it to a CA FFL dealer?

*edit* well disregard this

Pilot
07-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Your brother would need to deliver the handgun to a CA FFL (either by shipping it, or hand delivering it) who would transfer it to you. In this case, the handgun would need to be on the Roster of not unsafe handguns, or be roster-exempt (such as C&R, some single-action revolovers, or some single-shot pistols). If it wasn't on the roster, or roster-exempt, you could not receive it from your brother through a CA FFL.
I suspected you had to use an FFL dealer.

The pistol is a Beretta 92G, is that legal?

Quiet
07-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Can my brother personally ship it to a CA FFL dealer?
Depends on the FFL dealer.
Some take shipments from private parties, some do not. (it's a personal policy)

Quiet
07-19-2010, 12:44 AM
The pistol is a Beretta 92G, is that legal?
Beretta made seven versions of the Beretta 92G.
But, there are only three versions of the Beretta 92G on the approved list.
Which version does your brother have?
If it's not one of the ones on the list, then it can not be transfered to you.

CA DOJ approved list (http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/)
92G Elite 1A / Steel Pistol 4.5" 9mm 9/18/2011
92G Elite II / Blue Steel, Stainless Steel Pistol 4.7" 9mm 12/31/2010
92G-SD / Stainless Steel, Steel, Alloy Pistol 5" 9mm 12/14/2010

ke6guj
07-19-2010, 12:48 AM
The pistol is a Beretta 92G, is that legal?the following 92G's are on the list.

92G Elite 1A / Steel Pistol 4.5" 9mm 9/18/2011
92G Elite II / Blue Steel, Stainless Steel Pistol 4.7" 9mm 12/31/2010
92G-SD / Stainless Steel, Steel, Alloy Pistol 5" 9mm 12/14/2010 if it is one of those, then the dealer can transfer it to you. If it isn't, then you can't.

edit: too slow :D

Pilot
07-19-2010, 12:49 AM
:D

Well thank you guys. Provided some much needed help.

Pilot
07-19-2010, 1:00 AM
I hate to be a pest but does each model have a name, like Elite or SD, or is the regular 92G one of the seven?

Quiet
07-19-2010, 1:11 AM
I hate to be a pest but does each model have a name, like Elite or SD, or is the regular 92G one of the seven?

AFAIK...
Beretta 92G
Beretta 92G Centurion
Beretta 92G Elite
Beretta 92G Elite IA
Beretta 92G Elite II
Beretta 92G Vertec
Beretta 92G-SD

Do you know what's marked on the slide of your brother's Beretta?

Pilot
07-19-2010, 1:14 AM
He said it says "MOD. 92G-CAL. 9mm Parabellum-PATENTED" on the slide. I'm guessing this one is illegal here?