PDA

View Full Version : Para, Taurus, or Ruger?

Soul TKR
07-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a defensive gun to have at home. I work graveyards and the wife being at home by herself is leaving me with uneasy feelings, with no way to defend herself. Currently my work gives me some nice discounts on these 3 brands. I also get a discount on Benelli, but the wife said she'd feel a lot more comfortable with a pistol/revolver than a shotgun so...

Just curoious what gun you'd recommend from these 3 brands and why?

side note... I'm fairly new to firearms so try to use lingo that a kindergardner would understand :rofl2:

NotEnoughGuns
07-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Ruger GP100 Or maybe even SP101 for a revolver or a P series pistol
Rugers are built like tanks and just plain work.

IrishPirate
07-18-2010, 10:50 PM
depends on what specific gun you're thinking of, and in what caliber. Much more goes into buying a gun than the manufacturer. What specifics are you looking for? that would help nail down what to go with and what to stay away from.

Uriah02
07-18-2010, 10:59 PM
If you were gonna drop the cash for a Para you could get a Kimber...

Soul TKR
07-18-2010, 11:08 PM
depends on what specific gun you're thinking of, and in what caliber. Much more goes into buying a gun than the manufacturer. What specifics are you looking for? that would help nail down what to go with and what to stay away from.

well I suppose you could look at this thread as not only "which brand" to go with but I'm also sort of looking for recommendations on a gun. Like I said, something reliable, defensive, and that the wife could handle if she needed to. This is all new territory to me so I'm open to suggestions...

If you were gonna drop the cash for a Para you could get a Kimber...

Are Para's any good? The research I've done on the web there's a lot of people saying they are crap...? Which is another reason I started this thread. Any validity to that?

I don't get a discount on Kimber's that I know of. Having my manager look into it... but the 3 brands I listed I know I do. And trust me, its a worth while discount...

UserM4
07-18-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm not really a Taurus fan but I've heard good things about the PT1911.

Sinixstar
07-18-2010, 11:19 PM

I have to agree here.

Taurus and Para both make some good guns, but they make some junk as well.
Ruger generally has a pretty high level of quality and reliability. On the whole - they're a better brand than the other two.

Crazed_SS
07-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Ruger.

Sinixstar
07-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm not really a Taurus fan but I've heard good things about the PT1911.

I've got one (PT1911) with several thousand rounds through it - and couldn't be happier. Excellent guns. One of the best values in the 1911 market by far. It's a shame they're not rostered.

Sinixstar
07-18-2010, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't rule out something like the Ruger GP100 series.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/models.html

Something like the GP-141 might be a decent choice. .357 mag with a 4.2'' barrel. Gun's got good weight, but still short enough barrel to make it easier to handle. Can load it up with .38spl's to make it easier to shoot to start with, and step up to the .357s as the comfort level improves.

I've always thought revolvers are good defensive choices for people who aren't as well versed in handgun shooting. I find they're simpler for people to use, and more user friendly. I think semi-autos tend to require a bit more knowledge and skill to really use effectively. There's a bigger learning curve involved I think.

Soul TKR
07-18-2010, 11:27 PM

I've had quite a few people mention the GP100...

you guys think the 1702 would be a good choice?

I've got one (PT1911) with several thousand rounds through it - and couldn't be happier. Excellent guns. One of the best values in the 1911 market by far. It's a shame they're not rostered.

what's rostered?

Soul TKR
07-18-2010, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't rule out something like the Ruger GP100 series.

Something like the GP-141 might be a decent choice. .357 mag with a 4.2'' barrel. Gun's got good weight, but still short enough barrel to make it easier to handle. Can load it up with .38spl's to make it easier to shoot to start with, and step up to the .357s as the comfort level improves.

I've always thought revolvers are good defensive choices for people who aren't as well versed in handgun shooting. I find they're simpler for people to use, and more user friendly. I think semi-autos tend to require a bit more knowledge and skill to really use effectively. There's a bigger learning curve involved I think.

now that's funny! I posted basically the same thing as you like 2 seconds later :rofl2:

wasn't aware you could shoot different caliber sizes...? interesting...

Sinixstar
07-18-2010, 11:35 PM
now that's funny! I posted basically the same thing as you like 2 seconds later :rofl2:

wasn't aware you could shoot different caliber sizes...? interesting...

You can shoot .38spl in a .357mag but not the other way around.
They're both .357 bullet dia, but the .357mag has a longer case length.
1.29 for the .357 vs 1.15 for the .38

The .357 operates at about double the internal case pressure than the .38 special. That's why you can shoot the .38 in a .357, but not the other way around. If you dropped a .357 round in a gun designed for .38 - you're potentially going to have some catastrophic problems.

Oh - and 'rostered' means it's on the CA-Approved Handgun roster.
If a gun isn't on the CA approved list - it's considered "less safe". That means they can't be sold retail to non-special people (LEOs and Exempted persons). You can still get one PPT, and you can still have them if you bring them in from out of state, but dealers can't sell them directly.

Quiet
07-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Speaking of Rugers...
Turner's sale (http://www.turners.com/engage/events_weeklyad.html)

Ruger GP100 (4") .357Magnum for $499.98
Ruger P95 9x19mm for $329.98

nowhere
07-18-2010, 11:41 PM
+1 for the ruger. I would also suggest a .38spl revolver if it's for the wifey and home protection. revolvers will never jam

I've had couple of para's and they were both bad experiences

Soul TKR
You can shoot .38spl in a .357mag but not the other way around.
They're both .357 bullet dia, but the .357mag has a longer case length.
1.29 for the .357 vs 1.15 for the .38

The .357 operates at about double the internal case pressure than the .38 special. That's why you can shoot the .38 in a .357, but not the other way around. If you dropped a .357 round in a gun designed for .38 - you're potentially going to have some catastrophic problems.

Oh - and 'rostered' means it's on the CA-Approved Handgun roster.
If a gun isn't on the CA approved list - it's considered "less safe". That means they can't be sold retail to non-special people (LEOs and Exempted persons). You can still get one PPT, and you can still have them if you bring them in from out of state, but dealers can't sell them directly.

I see... that clears up things a lot. Thanks for explaining them so simply LOL

Speaking of Rugers...

Thanks for the post on the sale... fortunately the price I would get that GP100 for is MUCH less than that sale even so :D

Sinixstar
Speaking of Rugers...

I'd be all over that Sig for $399.
Their price on the ruger is decent, but not great. Full retail on those things is only like, $650, and they're not in as high a demand as the sigs. The sig is such a good deal because they seem to be harder to find in general anyways. Unless things have changed and I just haven't noticed much. Last time I was looking, I couldn't find a new sig in stock for a decent price anywhere.

UserM4
07-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Well, that SIG is a good deal because of the newer model.

Günter
07-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a defensive gun to have at home. I work graveyards and the wife being at home by herself is leaving me with uneasy feelings, with no way to defend herself. Currently my work gives me some nice discounts on these 3 brands. I also get a discount on Benelli, but the wife said she'd feel a lot more comfortable with a pistol/revolver than a shotgun so...

side note... I'm fairly new to firearms so try to use lingo that a kindergardner would understand :rofl2:

You got to be more specific than just listing a few brand names, all three are fine brands in specific categories, I consider Ruger and Taurus to be low price – high value (more bang for your buck) guns. Para Ordnance is known for unique and quality medium/high priced 1911 style pistols

-What is your budget? Good self-defense handguns can range from ~$300-$1500+ This can range from the lowest common denominator that works to a beautiful high quality collectors piece.

-Handgun size and caliber? This range from small and concealable to the intimidating large and powerful handguns. I would recommend any commonly found ammunition between .380 ACP to .357 magnum (.380 ACP, .38 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 Magnum) for home/self-defense. Choose the caliber she shoots best with, shot placement is very important.

-Does your wife have any shooting experience with handguns? If she has no experience I would recommend taking her to a range and rent a handgun that fits her hand well and learn how to shoot and handle it through proper training. For newbies, a DA revolver or a polymer frame safe-action trigger type pistols like a Glock are easy to learn. An armed user with no experience with their firearm can be a liability in an emergency situation.

Masterdebater
07-19-2010, 1:57 AM
be more specific than brand names? why? i think ur moving a little fast paced for what the op asked for (no offense op). he gets a discount on these three and wants to know of the three which should he begin shopping in. name the brand ud rather spend ur money on and there ya go lol. ive heard too many hit or miss stories with taurus and nothing but good about ruger. i love my gp100 and is a cakewalk to shoot 38s out of. let us know which company u decide with and then well help u decide size and calibers.

bottom line, ruger

Joe
07-19-2010, 2:00 AM

I agree with this

Verci0013
07-19-2010, 2:17 AM

Best thing I can recommend is having you and your wife rent each firearm out at your local gun range. Which ever she feels comfortable firing is the winner.

JTROKS
07-19-2010, 6:17 AM
I voted Ruger in hoping you'll get a GP100 or SP101, but I've been hearing the SR9s are also excellent.

redhemi
07-19-2010, 6:54 AM
Ruger, as all ready said built well and priced reasonably. If this is going to be for your wife you should take her to a range to check them out. The GP is a great gun but a little heavy for some, the SP is ok but only a 5 shot and could use some breaking in or some trigger work to smooth out the action. If your wife can shoot a semi auto you might want to try the SR9c it's a very nice compact. Most of all no matter what you buy she needs to practice,practice,practice this will get her use to the gun and it won't scare her if she has to use it. Redhemi

cmichini
07-19-2010, 7:10 AM
I dont' know much about, or have much experience with the Para's. However, I've had ONE Taurus and many Rugers in my lifetime.

Ruger's have been (at least for me) safe, reliable, consistent performers, be they rifles, pistols or revolvers. Not refined fit/finish, but they get the job done well.

I owned one Taurus. It was the 92-look alike and it was seriously unreliable, inconsistent and (for me) a turd. Failure to fire too many times to count. Failure to feed/eject was a consistent problem as well (when I could get it to actually discharge). Needless to say it doesn't live in my safe anymore.

I would take a Taurus if someone gave it to me/paid me but I'd NEVER PAY for a Taurus again, nor would I trust my life, or a loved one's life to a Taurus.

That's my opinion and experience, your mileage may vary.

civilsnake
07-19-2010, 7:38 AM
Ruger revolver or P-series pistol.

Super durable, super dependable, American made. And not expensive.

Old4eyes
07-19-2010, 7:41 AM
Get to a range that rents and have your WIFE try revolvers and pistols.
After that, narrow the brand decisions down. She might find that a pistol is OK to use instead of a revolver.

Of the 3 lines you mention, I'd choose Ruger revolver. I've got a Taurus Revolver, never again. As a bedside gun, I'd choose a GP100 over the SP101 line. If you select a lighter gun, the recoil will be more intense. Again, if you can, try before you buy.
As a bedside gun, choose at least a 4 inch barrel. You lose a bit of muzzle velocity dropping to the snub-nose range. A .38 +P round (a 38 loaded to higher pressure) would be an acceptable home defense round. The .357 will probably have over penetration and certainly will be very loud to the point of hearing damage. But if you have a gun capable of .357 it should easily handle the .38+P without stress.

And finally, make sure your wife is really on board about having the gun. If she's getting a gun to make YOU happy, it will probably sit on the shelf without a lot of range time. The gun is secondary, the shooter is the primary part of the equation.

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 4:44 PM
Thanks guys for your input. Me and the wife will eventually go to the range and get some shooting time under our belts. I'm all about safety with guns so I want her to be comfortable and familiar with it.

out of all my research and recommendations that were given I'm really leaning towards the 4" Ruger GP100

Seems like a nice, reliable gun, small enough for her, and powerful enough to stop someone in their tracks.

Günter
07-19-2010, 5:16 PM
Good Choice! :thumbsup:

shoupdawg
07-19-2010, 6:52 PM
OUt of the 3 of those....Ruger. Hmmm....where do you work where you get those discounts?

;)

Legasat
07-19-2010, 7:02 PM
Of those 3 choices, easily Ruger. I have had two Rugers for 30 years, and never failed, never a problem. Ruger revolvers are built like tanks.

stinkboto
07-19-2010, 7:05 PM
My wife likes our SP 101, we practice at our local range with .38 special, a little more recoil with that 2" barrel, but it is managable with practice. How about the Ruger LCR? I would look into that as well...

tiko
07-19-2010, 8:39 PM

This, #1 for GP100.

paintballergb
07-19-2010, 8:54 PM
No to the Taurus, eh to the Para, and go for it to the Ruger.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-19-2010, 8:55 PM
Your wife should select the weapon if she's going to be the primary user. Going to a range that rents firearms and trying out various revolvers and semi-automatic pistols are a good way to start.

That being said, when my wife (about 10 years ago) said she wanted to attend a CCW course, she selected a Taurus 85 (I think) stainless 2 1/2" revolver. She scored very well on the final shoot... and posted the target on our bedroom wall (can't imagine why...).

I have/have had three Paras - all good to me, but there's too many horror stories out there regarding quality control to ignore. If you're going to buy a Para, make sure it's an older version without Para's "Power Extractor" (link (http://www.brownells.com/1/1/44016-power-extractor-assembly-black-power-extractor-assembly-black-para-ordnance.html) for reference and a photo). Para came up with this little gem to replace the tried-and-true Browning extractor design (which is what withdraws a fired case so the ejector can push it clear of the weapon). It's junk. My LDA Carry .45 wouldn't run reliably until I retrofitted a standard extractor.

It's also hard to beat Ruger revolvers for durability. Their semi-autos don't have as good a reputation. I have had Ruger revolvers, Security Sixes, Blackhawks and a Vaquero, and can say that each one lived up to their rep. I haven't had any first-hand experience with their semi-autos, except for the few shown me by other deputies who had experienced failures of various sorts.

Soul TKR
07-19-2010, 9:36 PM
Your wife should select the weapon if she's going to be the primary user. Going to a range that rents firearms and trying out various revolvers and semi-automatic pistols are a good way to start.

That being said, when my wife (about 10 years ago) said she wanted to attend a CCW course, she selected a Taurus 85 (I think) stainless 2 1/2" revolver. She scored very well on the final shoot... and posted the target on our bedroom wall (can't imagine why...).

I have/have had three Paras - all good to me, but there's too many horror stories out there regarding quality control to ignore. If you're going to buy a Para, make sure it's an older version without Para's "Power Extractor" (link (http://www.brownells.com/1/1/44016-power-extractor-assembly-black-power-extractor-assembly-black-para-ordnance.html) for reference and a photo). Para came up with this little gem to replace the tried-and-true Browning extractor design (which is what withdraws a fired case so the ejector can push it clear of the weapon). It's junk. My LDA Carry .45 wouldn't run reliably until I retrofitted a standard extractor.

It's also hard to beat Ruger revolvers for durability. Their semi-autos don't have as good a reputation. I have had Ruger revolvers, Security Sixes, Blackhawks and a Vaquero, and can say that each one lived up to their rep. I haven't had any first-hand experience with their semi-autos, except for the few shown me by other deputies who had experienced failures of various sorts.

Thanks for the info! :)

She wouldn't be necassarily the primary user. But I'd like her to be able to handle it if the need arose. She already mentioned intrest in going to the shooting range so I found that comforting. :)

WWDHD?
07-20-2010, 1:06 AM
Ruger GP100 if its not to heavy. Otherwise SP101 with 3" barrel is very good(this is my primary HD gun). .38 hollow points (any name brand) is fine around the average home. Skip the .357 mag rounds, they will make you deaf and blind (flash) if fired inside a house.
Ruger P95 if you want semi-auto. Great price and reliable but a bit more complicated. Both need practice from time to time but semi-auto a bit more. Good luck & be safe!

randy
07-20-2010, 1:22 AM
The only choice for me would be something from Ruger. Para and Taurus are lower quality guns or better known as friends of the gunsmith.

dshortone
07-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Para and Taurus are the ONLY manufacturers that I've seen, who routinely have issues straight out of the box. From personaly experience rates as much as two times more (still less than 5%). At least they'll fix it quickly with a smile.

IrishPirate
07-24-2010, 7:33 PM
get some range time undr your belt with 5-10 guns, then decide. I'd second going with a .357 revolver, you'll be surprised how easily you or your wife can handle it. There probably wont be a need to load it with .38 other than for cheaper practicing. keep .357HP in it for HD.

DRP7dkIsivw

subijitsu
07-24-2010, 8:20 PM
Currently my work gives me some nice discounts on these 3 brands. I also get a discount on Benelli, but the wife said she'd feel a lot more comfortable with a pistol/revolver than a shotgun so...

Damn, gun discounts, where do you work? That is awesome! I only get a discount on my cell phone from my job. :lol:

I dont have any experience with Para but I have a lot of experience with Ruger and some with Taurus. I have not been super impressed with the Taurus products I have handled and shot.

Ruger on the other hand has been great to me. I own 2 Ruger .22s and a Redhawk revolver and all are great. I have shot a lot of Ruger 10/22s and Mini 14s which are also great. I dont have much experience with the Ruger auto pistols though.

Make sure whatever you choose, your wife likes shooting it too. It makes it easier to get her to go with you to the range and practice, which is key.

RedFord150
07-24-2010, 10:46 PM
I have owned both Ruger and Taurus. I would trust my life to any Ruger I have owned.
The Taurus was a failure. After getting it repaired by Taurus, I sold it to a dealer. I will never own another.
Good luck.

Oldnoob
07-24-2010, 11:14 PM
For Semi auto pistol:

Para>Ruger>Taurus

For revolver:

Ruger>Taurus (don't recall any Para revolver).

1911Operator
07-24-2010, 11:34 PM
I think the only taurus id ever own would be a pt1911 or the new polymer protector when it comes out.