PDA

View Full Version : Sidearm for Bow Hunt?

RikSors
07-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Does anybody carry a sidearm on a bow hunt?

pbwhite
07-18-2010, 11:07 PM
I do and always will. Currently it a ruger p95 with 15 round mag. soon it will be a Ruger sp 100 4" 357

turbogg
07-18-2010, 11:24 PM
I do and always will. Currently it a ruger p95 with 15 round mag. soon it will be a Ruger sp 100 4" 357

I'm assuming that 15 round mag isn't in CA

lewdogg21
07-19-2010, 9:55 AM
Just to clarify for the OP it's illegal to carry a sidearm when bow hunting (at least for deer).

There is a recent thread on this. I usually carry due to cats and 2 legged predators (Ganja farmers).

norcal01
07-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Just to clarify for the OP it's illegal to carry a sidearm when bow hunting (at least for deer).

There is a recent thread on this. I usually carry due to cats and 2 legged predators (Ganja farmers).

^ This. I have always carried a handgun while bowhunting because up here in Humboldt it's impossible to hunt on public or private land without wandering across pot gardens. However, just be aware that it is illegal to possess any firearm while bowhunting for deer.

RikSors
07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Good info.

Can anyone direct me to the previous thread about 'carrying a sidearm on a bow hunt'?

Did a search here but did not seem to generate any hits. Could it be on a different forum outside Calguns?

Seems like a "carry at your own risk" for different locations...

GVOllie
07-19-2010, 12:03 PM

Just to clarify the clarification, it is NOT illegal to carry a sidearm while bow hunting for deer. It IS illegal to carry a sidearm while bow hunting for deer during the archery only season, or if possessing an archery only tag

Pistol is an approved method of take for deer as per DFG regulations:

(c) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.

(h) Except as provided in subsection 353(g), archers may not possess a firearm while hunting in the field during any archery season, or while hunting during a general season under the provisions of an archery only tag.

spectr17
07-19-2010, 7:51 PM
Just to clarify the clarification, it is NOT illegal to carry a sidearm while bow hunting for deer. It IS illegal to carry a sidearm while bow hunting for deer during the archery only season, or if possessing an archery only tag

Pistol is an approved method of take for deer as per DFG regulations:

IIRC, archery bear season is included in the sidearm ban. We're looking to get this changed, several others states have altered this reg to allow pistol carry when bowhunting. DFG can tell now if you've shot the animal with a bullet versus an arrow. The one big reason to have a sidearm is an encounter with big cats or the pot fields. I know one buddy who bumped into a big cat at Fort Hunter Liggett and he really wished he would have had his pistol that evening when walking out. With a bow you're only going to get one shot, if you're lucky to even get that one off.

GVOllie
07-20-2010, 6:26 AM
I believe the best defense against a big cat is a fixed blade knife. You may know if one is stalking you, but it is very unlikely you will know or have any time to react when it is about to jump you. At that point, drawing any pistol/revolver and getting a shot off will be iffy at best. At that point, I'd probably rather have a razor sharp 10-12 inch blade. Even a bad thrust/slice will do some damage.

I'd still like the pistol with me. The sound of the discharge is usually enough to send anything the other way before an attack, and I like carrying it with a magazine full of snake rounds. I'm usually much more worried about running into one of those things than a big cat.

Mammoth
07-20-2010, 6:30 AM
+1 for those pointing out that a sidearm while bow hunting is perfectly legal, provided you are not carrying during an archery season. It's also well known that *most* rangers aren't going to bust you for this one.

I'm hoping that this year I can upgrade from a Glock on my hip to a Marlin Guide Gun over my shoulder. :)

180ls1
07-20-2010, 8:49 AM
I believe the best defense against a big cat is a fixed blade knife. You may know if one is stalking you, but it is very unlikely you will know or have any time to react when it is about to jump you. At that point, drawing any pistol/revolver and getting a shot off will be iffy at best. At that point, I'd probably rather have a razor sharp 10-12 inch blade. Even a bad thrust/slice will do some damage.

I'd still like the pistol with me. The sound of the discharge is usually enough to send anything the other way before an attack, and I like carrying it with a magazine full of snake rounds. I'm usually much more worried about running into one of those things than a big cat.

Personally i think a 10-12 inch bade is overkill and just a nuisance. Cats really are not that tough. I think a 4-6" fixed blade would do just fine.

Also when im packing a sidearm i almost never have snake shot in the chamber, maybe in my pocket. It is a lot easier to move out of the way of a snake and leave it then it is to take the time to put some real bullets in your gun when you run into a crazy wild animal or pot farmer that wants to kill you.