PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in side mechanic job?

Lyte-
07-18-2010, 9:44 PM
As some of you know I had truck problems on my way up to the blm shoot this weekend.

I thought I just messed up my rotors by leaving the E brake on but turns out that I believe the bearing went out in my diff.

So I need the diff rebuild. My Boyfriend nor my self are comfortable doing this our selves and I am trying to avoid having to tow my truck to a repair shop and get raped on a diff rebuild so wondering if anyone is interested in coming to my house in Anaheim and doing this in my garage.

I have plenty of tools (but I would lack any specialized tools for diff jobs as I have never done one before) air tools, and $$$ for anyone one willing to come do it for a reasonable amount.

Truck details

1998 Ford F150 4.1L V6 2wd

I can give more details of what lead up to the break down upon request although google shows this as a common issue with the Fords....

Let me know ASAP! currently my truck is parked on the street in front of my house but street sweeping is thursday so I need to move it by then.

I am also looking for a good used rear axle that fits that I might just replace the whole axle if I can not get any takers.

Desert_Rat
07-19-2010, 8:00 PM
To tell You the truth,You might be better off getting a "New to You" axle and swapping it out.Not that Your's is unrepairable,more like it is a moderatley technical task to overhaul properly.I've done gazillions of differentials from little toyotas to 600 hp farm equipment.
Good Luck.

Lyte-
07-19-2010, 8:12 PM
I just took the housing off to inspect the damage and the gears are actually fine.

the issue is where the drivers side rear axle is "clamped down" (for lack of a better word) into the diff housing.

It was starting to get dark (i don't get off work till 5pm) so I put the diff cover back on but its looking more like its just the axle verse the diff.

I am going to consult with some people who are more truck knowledgeable then I am.

But thank you for the suggestion i am still looking for a "new to me Axle" if thats the easiest route I will go that route.

So far how ever I have been getting quotes from $400 (for axles that need minor repairs) to $800 in used condition.

novabrian
07-20-2010, 8:12 PM
Call J&S Gears in Huntington Beach.

Lyte-
07-21-2010, 5:29 PM
Time warner started having issues last night so I wasn't able to get on most of the night.

I will try this place tomorrow.

I have decided its in my best interest to replace the complete axle assembly but since I have the truck in the drive way now (that was run getting it up there btw) there is no rush so I will wait till I find the axle for the price range I was advised I should be paying :)

Rob454
07-21-2010, 7:52 PM
You can go tot he junkyard and pull out a complete axle for your truck for about 140$. bolt it in and go. 99% of F150s have the same axle even in different years. But it really sounds to me like the rear axle may need to be rebuilt. If the axle shafts are bad thats a additional cost to the bearing and seal overhaul kit. 400$ is actually a pretty reasonable price for a rebuild. its about average. Ive done it before on my own vehicles and its a PITA to do it on a garage floor. Whoever you get they better kknow how to set up the gears otherwise in all seriousness if they set up the gears wrong they will wear badly. There is no reshimming. You have to get new gears.
What is the problem where the rear axle is clamped down? Ibelieve you are referring to the bearing cap but I may be wrong. Your axle is a C clip design so if the axle shaft is walking out all you need is a new axle shaft and a c clip. and clean out the axle of metal shavings. Im just thinking out loud

Lyte-
07-22-2010, 1:11 PM
I was quoted $575 just for the diff rebuild. The part cost alone on a new axle seems to be around the $200-$300 range.

but when I drained the oil and pulled off the cover instead of seeing stripped gears and metal shavings it all looked perfectly fine until i looked toward the left had size where the axle connects to the diff (right before the largest gear).

There is a U shaped clap with a bolt on either end holding what I assume to be the axle into the diff. On either side of this U clamp is where the damage is.

The outer side (towards the wheel) i can see a hair line stress fracture in the part of the axle that is being held in place by the clamps. On the other side of the clamp i see a random Sliver of metal which is clearly either out of place or the rest of it is gone somehow.

When you rotate the wheels by hand the diff has a lot of play in the back and forth motion (as in it may hit the diff cover) and you can hear the grinding noise and its very clear its coming from the driver side axle where it meets with the diff.

I am very comfortable working on fwd cars but trucks and rwd is still fairly new to me so
I think finding the whole rear complete rear end will prevent me from replacing the axle only and then finding additional damage somewhere to the diff.

I did read about setting up the gears correctly and this is the reason I am not comfortable doing it my self.

the oil did come out very clean how evere.

Rob454
07-22-2010, 4:23 PM
Sounds like the diff bearing took a dump. its a fairly simple procedure on your axle. LMK if you want me to talk you through it. PM me for my #. ive set up a few diffs and to change one bearing is not that hard. I would say to change all the axle bearings maybe leave the pinion bearing in this way you dont need to reset the diff.
You will need only one specialty tool and thats a bearing puller. If you dont mix up the bearing caps and shims you shouldn't have to redo the ring gear set up.

Are the cracks you describe

On the axle housing itself?
Or
The U shaped piece with two bolts ( bearing cap)
Or
is it in the bearing itself? I think the damage you are seeing and the play is due to the bearing race and bearing getting destroyed.
You shoudl change all the bearings because the other ones may have small metal shavings in the axle tubes.

If you decide to pull a axle out of the junkyard LMK. im always down for looking in a junkyard for parts.

Lyte-
07-22-2010, 4:48 PM
I showed a picture off the internet to a coworker who has worked on diff/axles before.

they are not on the U shaped bolt but on either side of it.

From what I described and showed in pictures to my co worker the

axle housing (the solid piece right before the sprocket that fits into the diff) and I believe the other piece is the "clamp" that broke.

My co worker has suggested that I attempt to take the rear driver side axle off by taking off the bolts that hold it to the wheel assembly and see if it just slides out.

If so then we have a problem :)

I don't have time to do that before I go to houston so I will have to revisit this issue late August.

darkjedi351
07-23-2010, 6:34 PM
can you post some pics on here?

Lyte-
07-23-2010, 7:09 PM
can you post some pics on here?

yes my cell phone pictures are not that good/clear so the next time i have some free time during the day I will snap some with a real cam.

molasses2k
08-23-2010, 9:05 PM
I strongly suggest getting a junkyard rearend, especially if you'd like it running soon or cheaply. Good luck-

Hank Dodge
08-31-2010, 8:37 PM
Yep...junkyard swap would certainly be your best bet. Call around and I'd bet you could get a deal on one already pulled and ready to drop in. I wish that you were closer. I'm up in the bay area and need the work......

Lyte-
09-29-2010, 9:40 AM
Well just to update, my co worker and I tackled the rear end and it turns out that the passanger axle seal was leaking (the diff was just serviced by goodyear less then 10k prior to this) and it caused the gear oil to leak onto the drums and enough of it leaked out that the bearings on the diff failed.

So replaced the diff bearings, races, shims (which one also failed and basically shattered inside the diff) cleaned out everything replaced the axle bearings and seals as well as the wheel studs and lugs for good measure.

took for ever mostly sourcing all the parts needed but its sitting on the street to let the RTV cure and I will test drive it later after work today