PDA

View Full Version : Listing guns on CalGuns - Why black out serial numbers?

BigGlock
07-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Dumb question, but why do folks "black-out" certain serial numbers on their adds to sell their guns? Isn't the serial number relevant and something one would want to share with a prospective buyer?

BigGlock
07-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Very good point. But can't that person just make up any number he wanted anyway? But I see your point here. Good idea and thank you.

sevensix2x51
07-18-2010, 10:37 PM
somebody who doesnt like you, or wants your gun for free, fraudulently reports said firearm(long gun) stolen, then subsequently shows police your thread. you obviously stole it, or else why would you be selling it?? :confused:

BigGlock
07-18-2010, 10:50 PM
I guess there is some good reason to do it; I have seen most people do this. Thanks folks.

BigGlock
07-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Also, how does one elevate to a better status than "Junior Member"? Is it just based on time as a function of when one joined CalGuns, or is it based on number of posts, etc.?

johnthomas
07-18-2010, 10:53 PM
somebody who doesnt like you, or wants your gun for free, fraudulently reports said firearm(long gun) stolen, then subsequently shows police your thread. you obviously stole it, or else why would you be selling it?? :confused:

Long guns are not registered but can be and often are tracked by serial numbers. Thieves tend not to get the police involved in stealing guns from someone.
If nothing else, if there is no real advantage to displaying the number, why do it?

Milsurp Collector
07-18-2010, 10:54 PM

And after you prove to the police that you are the legitimate owner, who goes to jail for filing a false police report?

BigGlock, the answer to your question in a word is paranoia. And because people see other people doing it (so they do it too, even if they don't really know why).

I guess there is some good reason to do it; I have seen most people do this. Thanks folks.

Exactly. We posted at the same time. That just proves my point. Many people do it only because they see others doing it.

BigGlock
07-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I see. Seems like one can just make up a serial number, and/or even if they take my legitimate one from an add, it would be obvious that the original number was ground down and a new one added. I thought maybe it was a CalGuns official rule or something.

Josh3239
07-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Posts will change the status. I just hit 5,000 and got w/e mine says, Calguns Addict or something.