PDA

View Full Version : solano county gun code?

livebait
04-17-2006, 9:56 PM
does anyone know of gun ordinances/codes for unincorporated areas in solano county?

Anthonysmanifesto
04-17-2006, 10:12 PM
solano county code directory

http://www.co.solano.ca.us/countycode.asp

linuxgunner
04-17-2006, 10:12 PM
California state law pre-empts all local regulation of guns. There are no county laws about guns. The only place where they can regulate things is they can control zoning and business permits, which has an impact on FFLs. Other than that, state law is the only law.

Major Miner II
04-17-2006, 10:50 PM
California state law pre-empts all local regulation of guns. There are no county laws about guns. The only place where they can regulate things is they can control zoning and business permits, which has an impact on FFLs. Other than that, state law is the only law.
Wow.

That is so not true.

railfan
04-18-2006, 12:22 AM

I WISH THAT WERE TRUE! I live in the middle of a huge mountain parcel in Santa Cruz County -- but it is in the northern "NO SHOOTING' area of the county! It is SO NICE to have a bloc-voting university here! Communism is alive and thriving in Santa Cruz! :(

linuxgunner
04-18-2006, 1:08 AM
I WISH THAT WERE TRUE! I live in the middle of a huge mountain parcel in Santa Cruz County -- but it is in the northern "NO SHOOTING' area of the county! It is SO NICE to have a bloc-voting university here! Communism is alive and thriving in Santa Cruz! :(

Oh, yes, I forgot, most incorporated areas have no shooting laws. That's true in most of the US.

What other laws do counties or cities have that I'm overlooking?

EOD Guy
04-18-2006, 6:08 AM
The only area that the State preempts is that of registration and licensing of commercial firearms and the field of imitation firearms. See the Government Code Sections 53071 and 53071.5.

GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION
State Preemption of Firearm Regulation

53071. It is the intention of the Legislature to occupy the whole field of regulation of the registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms as encompassed by the provisions of the Penal Code, and such provisions shall be exclusive of all local regulations, relating to registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms, by any political subdivision as defined in Section 1721 of the Labor Code.

53071.5 By the enforcement of this section, the Legislature occupies the whole field of regulation of the manufacture, sale, or possession of imitation firearms, as defined in Section 12250 of the Penal Code, and that section shall preempt and be exclusive of all regulations relating to the manufacture, sale, or possession of imitation firearms, including regulations governing the manufacture, sale, or possession of BB devices and air rifles described in subdivision (g) of Section 12001 of the Penal Code.

Major Miner II
04-18-2006, 8:26 AM
Oh, yes, I forgot, most incorporated areas have no shooting laws. That's true in most of the US.

What other laws do counties or cities have that I'm overlooking?
Cities and counties can take restrictive laws, and make them more restrictive. They can't make them more lenient. Case in point would be San Diego's AW laws. They cannot make them less restricive than the state laws.

Another good example is golf cart laws.

The state forbids golf carts to opperate on roads where the speed limit is greater than 15 mph.

A city or county can lower that to 10, or prohibit it at all in whatever areas they want to.