PDA

View Full Version : S&W 38 special information

beachbum6582
07-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone. im looking into buying a 38 special from a private party but im trying to get info on what this model is worth and how old it is. The model number is 10-5 and the serial number is D38XXXX. Can anyone out there help me please.....

1JimMarch
07-18-2010, 11:22 PM
According to this page it was made between '62 and '77:

http://www.handloads.com/misc/Smith.Model.Changes.asp

If it has a "pinned barrel" it'll be worth more - look at the top of the frame where the barrel screws in, and across the top there may be a little riveted pin. It shows up particularly well on this gun:

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/ot55-pix/hb12-3m.jpg

Pinned barrels didn't need to be screwed as tightly into the frame and therefore had less (if any) constriction at the point where the barrel enters the frame.

Being a post-WW2 gun, this thing can shoot mild quantities of +P ammo and is fully safe carried six-up. It would probably make a very respectable carry gun if it's in good shape.

bjl333
07-18-2010, 11:29 PM
There is a sticky on top of the handgun section to show you how to check a revolver. The Model 10 will serve you for many years and its one of my favorite handgun.

WileyWilly
07-18-2010, 11:37 PM
D series K frames with the S/N prefix D38 were made from 1971 to early 1972 (D330,001 to D420,000)
Use +P ammo at your own risk, there are forcing cone cracking issues if I remember correctly.

bjl333
07-18-2010, 11:43 PM
D series K frames with the S/N prefix D38 were made from 1971 to early 1972 (D330,001 to D420,000)
Use +P ammo at your own risk, there are forcing cone cracking issues if I remember correctly.

Good point ... just remember it was top strap cuts on top of the forcing cone also ??? Or was that the 13 ... :confused: Either way don't feed turbo ammo to her !!!

1JimMarch
07-19-2010, 3:52 AM
No, the real problem was hot 125gr 357 ammo in the 357 versions of this gun. 38+P won't do near as much damage, esp. if you stay with the heavier weight ammo - Remington's 158+P lead unjacketed hollowpoint, or Winchester's flavor of the same thing IF the barrel is 4" or more. (Winch's lead formula is a bit harder, may not expand out of 2" or maybe even 3" tubes.)

If it's a 4" or more barrel, there's some decent choices in defensive standard pressure 38 ammo. Hornady's Critical Defense or the Federal Nyclad 125. Buffalo Bore's standard pressure stuff will work even out of a 2".

I would avoid Buffalo Bore's +P line or any of the 125gr jacketed 38+P ammo in a gun of that era. But you don't have to baby it TOO hard. A little bit of Speer's superb 135gr +P load will be OK, although the 158+Ps (except Buffalo Bore or Cor-bon!) will be both milder on the gun and more likely to print to point of aim.

beachbum6582
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Wow thanks everyone for all the information when i get home from work i will look at it more to see if its a pinned or screwed barrel...

littlejake
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Wow thanks everyone for all the information when i get home from work i will look at it more to see if its a pinned or screwed barrel...

A pinned barrel is still screwed into the frame. The pin was used to index the barrel with the front sight at top dead center.

From the dates suggested by others who posted, it is nearly a certainty that it is pinned.

beachbum6582
07-19-2010, 6:32 PM
Hey there 1jimMarch.
I just got home and took a look at it .. and yes it is pinned. dose any one know about pricing on this gun.. It is blued and it has some wear at the end of the barrel and around the cylinder some surface scratches on it.. from my little knowledge its a square butt the barrel is 4 in long. Can anyone help to give me a good price range for this gun. Thanks again for all your help..

shoupdawg
07-19-2010, 7:50 PM
Hey there 1jimMarch.
I just got home and took a look at it .. and yes it is pinned. dose any one know about pricing on this gun.. It is blued and it has some wear at the end of the barrel and around the cylinder some surface scratches on it.. from my little knowledge its a square butt the barrel is 4 in long. Can anyone help to give me a good price range for this gun. Thanks again for all your help..

So did you buy it already? Got pics?

eaglemike
07-19-2010, 8:41 PM
Many thousands of those were carry guns for various LE agencies over the years. A lot of people would like to have the original grips, especially if they are good shape. ( how many of those have I seen tossed over the years?). That K frame, especially the 4" version, have a great balance and are very easy to shoot. Your gun likely still has the fixed sights which don't help much. I've seen a few converted to adjustable, but that work is very rare. Lots of parts available, such as grips (or stocks :) ) spring kits, speedloaders, holsters, etc. The wear you describe is normal for most of those guns. Enjoy it - everyone should have a K frame or 3. :) Learn how to reload if you don't already. .38 special is about the easiest to reload, components are cheap, making practice very affordable.
all the best,
Mike

beachbum6582
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
No i have not bought it yet. but i do have it in my possession. If i do buy it its from a lady i work with and she got it with her divorce she really dose not know much about it or anything so she gave it to me to get info on it and to see what they are going for. From the sound of it from what i have been learning i want it. all i have to do now is figure out what its worth and then discuss a fair price..

INJUNTOM
07-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Offer her $300. Fair for both parties.

Here's my .357

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62465&d=1279610068

It's awesome.

1JimMarch
07-20-2010, 5:58 AM
Yeah, the pinned guns were still screwed into the frame, just not quite as tight as the unpinned. The pinning process was more expensive and is considered a good thing.

Blue with some holster wear, this is a very common gun, $300 isn't far off. No real collector value, this is probably the most common of the pinned S&Ws, but it's worth owning.

beachbum6582
07-20-2010, 7:25 AM
Wow thanks again everyone you have been a big help. my next question is this gun is not registered to the lady im wanting to buy it from she has had it for about 25 years. like i said she got it in her divorce. is this something i have to register or can i just do like a cash and carrry thing??? can anyone help me out with this question??? thanks ..

redcliff
07-20-2010, 7:58 AM
Wow thanks again everyone you have been a big help. my next question is this gun is not registered to the lady im wanting to buy it from she has had it for about 25 years. like i said she got it in her divorce. is this something i have to register or can i just do like a cash and carrry thing??? can anyone help me out with this question??? thanks ..

To do it legally, and I would never recommend otherwise, you'll need to transfer the revolver at an FFL via a person to person transfer. The seller will need to provide identification and fill out a short form. Youll need to do the DROS and 4473 forms and wait 10 days to pick up the revolver; you'll also need a handgun safety certificate or equivalent. The fee for the transfer can be no more than $35 if I'm not mistaken, but you may need to buy a gun lock.

No problem that it isnt "in her name" as prior to 1991 firearm transfers between private parties was legal and there was no paperwork required.

beachbum6582
07-22-2010, 7:49 PM
thanks again everyone u have helped me make my decision im buying it... and this weekend there is a gun show near me so im going to that to pick up some rounds...

nn3453
07-22-2010, 7:51 PM
Offer her $300. Fair for both parties.

Don't steal it from her. Be fair. Any S&W revolver is worth at least $350-400 in California, unless the timing is really off or it is in poor shape.

shoupdawg
07-22-2010, 8:17 PM
$300 is fair in my opinion. Show us pics OP!

INJUNTOM
07-22-2010, 9:32 PM
Don't steal it from her. Be fair. Any S&W revolver is worth at least $350-400 in California, unless the timing is really off or it is in poor shape.

Ok, we're about $50 apart. I was thinking the same thing as to the being fair with her. I doubt a gun shop would offer her anywhere near $300, and she can't exactly throw it on ebay. A little holster wear, but a nice shooter that's economical, and big enough for protection.

INJUNTOM
07-22-2010, 9:33 PM
I got my S&W for $275 at Barnwood arms :D

It was around 1996. Wish we had those prices still.

BigDogatPlay
07-22-2010, 9:35 PM

I'd concur that prices in California are higher, but a Model 10? Sorry to sound contrary but I don't see it unless you are looking at "in store" prices. There's likely more of those than any other model. If it's clean, timing is good and there are no obvious signs of abuse $300 is fair for a PPT, assuming it doesn't have some other oddity that boosts the price, or is unfired with box, tools and papers.

nn3453
07-22-2010, 9:57 PM
I'd concur that prices in California are higher, but a Model 10? Sorry to sound contrary but I don't see it unless you are looking at "in store" prices. There's likely more of those than any other model. If it's clean, timing is good and there are no obvious signs of abuse $300 is fair for a PPT, assuming it doesn't have some other oddity that boosts the price, or is unfired with box, tools and papers.

With the roster, I'd love to know where you guys are finding $300 S&Ws, yes, even lowly Model 10s. I'd run over to buy em. No offense.

OP, you got a good deal, enjoy your gun :) With the utmost respect, I think that the fine gents here claiming they can find S&Ws in good shape for $300 are living in the 80s or 90s. Please sell me one at that price :)

BigDogatPlay
07-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Again... I am not talking "in store" prices that you see in an FFLs consignment case. THose are marked up, sometimes way up as in many cases the FFL is taking a percentage of the selling price. And if you aren't haggling with the FFL / consignee you are overpaying for what you are buying.

I am talking fair value in a straight PPT, person to person. If you can't negotiate to what is a good price I can't help.

Deals are out there... you have to go find them. They will not fall into your outstretched hands.

INJUNTOM
07-23-2010, 9:56 AM
Again... I am not talking "in store" prices that you see in an FFLs consignment case. THose are marked up, sometimes way up as in many cases the FFL is taking a percentage of the selling price. And if you aren't haggling with the FFL / consignee you are overpaying for what you are buying.

I am talking fair value in a straight PPT, person to person. If you can't negotiate to what is a good price I can't help.

Deals are out there... you have to go find them. They will not fall into your outstretched hands.

Yes, the gun stores mark things up crazily, and surely don't give much for them used.

I called around awhile back looking for a used name brand revolver, and the only shop here that had anything wanted $675 for some sort of S&W revolver. I assume it was something special, but I never went and looked at it. I ended up buying a new S&W 642 revolver NEW for $440 instead. So considering that a person can buy a new S&W revolver for a little over $400 new, then $300 for a garden variety model is fair considering the seller would have no other outlet to sell it.

BUT, I agree about buying all the $300 S&W revolvers I can get my hands on though... :D

beachbum6582
07-23-2010, 6:29 PM
thanks again everyone.. she was very happy with $300. and plus i did all the research on it and finding out what it was worth she was happy i am happy. so its a win win for the both of us. i will get some pics up as soon as i can my camera broke so i have to wait till my roommate gets back from vacation so i can barrow his.. i did take a couple with my cell they are not great i will try to put those up as a teaser.. lol... tomorrow morning is the gun show im going to that and depend on price hopefully pick up a case of rounds..
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/enigma1979/Photo0055.jpghttp://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/enigma1979/Photo0057.jpghttp://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/enigma1979/jongun.jpg

INJUNTOM
07-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Very nice.

twotap
07-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Sweet !

BigDogatPlay
07-24-2010, 5:48 AM
Looks great, very little wear and no obvious signs of rough handling. Nice score for the OP and a shooter that will last a lifetime.

The grips look very good. Might pop them off and see if they number to the gun.... and, of course, check for any rust on the frame. S&Ws tend to get corrosion issues under the grips, particularly at the top where they overlay the frame and sideplate.

beachbum6582
07-24-2010, 7:31 AM
How do u tell if the grips number the gun???? a book or a web sight??? Im still learning about hand guns. i was never a big fan of relovers for there look but this one grew on me. and plus my grandfather had carried one just like it when he was alive and in law enforcement.. Just picked up 500 rounds and a case for it. and took it to get the DOJ done on it... its been a good day..

Black_Talon
07-24-2010, 4:52 PM
How do u tell if the grips number the gun????

The right grip will have the guns' serial number (the "D38xxxx") stamped into it.

WINGEDSWORD
07-24-2010, 5:04 PM
$300 was fair for both parties. A gun store would have offered her half that.
I notice that some people are very generous, with someone else's money!

nn3453
07-24-2010, 5:28 PM
I notice that some people are very generous, with someone else's money!

Okay, then. Since this was directed at me, I would be happy to buy this from the OP for $350. I would offer that amount for the gun pictured. My money, not someone else's. No need for the insults. I will back up my words.

CALATRAVA
07-24-2010, 7:48 PM
Okay, then. Since this was directed at me, I would be happy to buy this from the OP for $350. I would offer that amount for the gun pictured. My money, not someone else's. No need for the insults. I will back up my words.

Lol. It would probably cost you $450 now with all the info and background y'all have given him. He sounds pretty smitten.

c good
07-24-2010, 8:24 PM
Good price on a nice clean M&P (Model 10) Nice service stocks/Magnas.. (appear to be original and matching...don't know for sure until you take them off and check the numbers) You will not be disappointed with it's accuracy. Good Job! c good

BillCA
07-24-2010, 9:23 PM
Beachbum,

First, congrats on your purchase. It's a good, solid gun that should last you many years. Almost all model 10's are simple, reliable and accurate.

If you remove the grip panels, one of the grips (mostly the right one) will have the serial number of the gun stamped, scribed or written in ink on the underside of the grip. Denotes original grips to the gun.

Ammo: For practice, use standard velocity ammo. This can be mostly any bullet weight, but you'll find that the 158 grain bullet weights should be the most accurate with respect to shooting to point of aim. The common 130-gr FMJ target ammo is pretty close and often cheaper.

For defensive use, a 125gr +P or 158gr +P round can be used. The +P ammo produces about 10-15% higher pressure than the standard load and this should not hurt a Model 10-5, though it may acelerate wear and tear somewhat. Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX1 and Remington Golden Sabers all perform well. So will Hornady's new XTP rounds with the red tips.

Keep the box, papers and cleaning tool if you have them, and retain them in case you ever sell the gun. It will increase the value of the gun at re-sale time.

I found my Model 10-5, with a five-inch barrel, in 2008 for $350. It's almost unfired and like new.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/kf/M10M_1447.jpg

beachbum6582
07-28-2010, 6:03 PM
wow all of you guys have been a ton of help. any recommendation on speed loaders and lefty holsters???

dadoody
09-01-2010, 5:10 PM
wow all of you guys have been a ton of help. any recommendation on speed loaders and lefty holsters???

Plop on down to Turner's and get a H&K speedloader. My favorite holsters for revolvers are leather Bianchis

shoupdawg
09-01-2010, 6:29 PM
I have HK loaders. But it's true that they fall out if they get jumbled in the pocket long enough.

brianm767
09-01-2010, 6:53 PM
Nice pistol! looks like mine, sounds like both parties are happy, that's all that matters.

Makes me wonder about mine, I also have a 4" 10-5 that I know virtually nothing about and have often thought about selling it, I'll get some pics and make a post.

1911su16b870
09-01-2010, 7:44 PM
I think you did great for 300. I've picked up two 1950 era J frames in the last month for that price and will continue to buy them there.