PDA

View Full Version : Maglite's new Tac light Reviewed.

pontiacpratt
07-18-2010, 8:00 PM
I just picked up Maglite's new tac light today.
The Maglite XL100 LED.
~$37 at Super Target
5 Modes, 83 Lumens, 201 hour low run time, 5 hour high run time.
runs on 3 AAA batteries
Modes:
Normal, Strobe, Nite Lite, Signal, and SOS. Also has a lock out function.
First impressions the mode selection process is a little strange and takes some getting use to but one your familiar with it it's kinda cool.
Pressing the tail cap rapidly turns the light on regardless of position (position comes into play later)
To select a mode the light actually can sense what angle you are holding it. What ever mode is in the 12 'o clock position (when holding it horizontal), is the mode that will be activated when the button is held for a moment.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/figgie1/jasonstuff/tailcap.jpg
The strobe rate can be adjusted by holding the tail button and the twisting your wrist right to increase strobe and left to decrease the rate. It will remeber what you have it set to. The light dimmer works the same way, right to increase brightness and left to dim the light.
The Nite Lite function is another cool thing. When set to this mode the light will shine bright when the light moves and then slowly dim while holding still then shine bright again when the light is moved.
AR mounting:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/figgie1/jasonstuff/lightmount.jpg
I mounted it in my Elzetta flashlight mount with the strobe function set in the 12 o'clock position. This is where the tail cap was poorly designed (for the Elzetta) it cannot be pressed with the sling swivel. I then rigged some electrical, no... sorry Tactical Tape;), on the swivel to build it up so it could reach the button:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/figgie1/jasonstuff/cappic.jpg
It now functions as designed.:D
I can now tap the swivel to turn light on, and hold for strobe. The only issue I have with it is to go from the light to the strobe you have to tap it to turn the light off and then hold again for strobe. Might be an issue in a high stress situation. Being mounted on the gun the entire gun can be rotated to activate the different modes. Turn the rifle slightly to the left and you can adjust your light brightness, turn it slightly to the right and turn on the Nite Light funtion. Again this could be an issue of you plan on using your AR in any position out of standing vertical. I guess if your laying on the ground turning SOS on might be beneficial.;)
I'll see how this thing holds up over time but it seems to be of solid construction, it is a Mag light after all. If you guys have any questions regarding something I forgot let me know I'll address it.

RogueSniper
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Nice. I'll have to check on mounting options. Have you read any other tac light comparisions? Links?

Ub3rDorK
08-26-2010, 1:26 PM
oh sweeeet! i love maglites I have to pick one of these up!

grunz
08-26-2010, 5:51 PM
Hmm - I donno - seems like there is way too much going on with that switch...

On top of that you say the switch function is dependent how the light is tilted?

Is this something you really want to use under stress, in the dark?

tomd1584
08-26-2010, 5:55 PM
I'm having a difficult time figuring out how you tap the swivel to activate the light with the AFG.

Sounds like a cool camping/hunting/all around light, but has too much going on to be a "tactical" light. seems like if you twist or turn the rifle the wrong way accidently you've now gone into a different mode/function- Not a good thing IMO.

Lil Bawbee
08-26-2010, 6:25 PM
i was interested till i saw it ran on AAAs

FS00008
08-26-2010, 11:28 PM
What's wrong with AAAs?

xibunkrlilkidsx
08-27-2010, 7:04 AM
buying one today if target near me has it.

pacrimguru
08-27-2010, 7:18 AM
looks interesting as a supplementary personal light, but i question it as a weapon light. thanks for the review, i'm going to check it out.

zman
08-27-2010, 7:37 AM
$30.49 shipped from Amazon right now. It looks like it has good reviews :)

http://www.amazon.com/MAGLITE-XL100-LED-Flashlight-Black/dp/B001RQH1EO

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TrkYzAMRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BANG BANG
08-27-2010, 7:51 AM
buying one today if target near me has it.

same here, never can have enough flashlights lol

NSR500
08-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Looks interesting. I'll have to check my local stores to check one out.

Lil Bawbee
08-27-2010, 10:10 AM
87Tq-ZCeKMc

iareConfusE
08-27-2010, 10:39 AM
That's pretty cool, but seems extremely complicated for a weapon light. Too many features for a weapon light imo, but as just a general use flashlight, should work great.

trapshot68
08-27-2010, 12:47 PM
yeah, the whole position/rotation/switch speed seems a little excessive. Perhaps just a compact, led flashlight for etd carry/use... and probably drops the price since it won't have that position sensor?

grunz
08-27-2010, 1:20 PM
Looks like a fun personal light but it has no place on a rifle.

Eddie1965
08-27-2010, 4:23 PM
I agree with all the posts, it should be a great all around flashlight, just not on a firearm.

SJgunguy24
08-27-2010, 9:18 PM
Seen it at Home Depot today, 40$. Does seem a little busy for a weapon light. I have a Coast LED lenser on one of my AKs. So far after 700 or so rounds it's doing just fine. I'm pretty hard on my stuff and I'm happy as hell with that Coast flashlight.

bsg
08-27-2010, 10:36 PM
i still have my old Maglite i bought in 1985; it works like it did when i bought it.

shortround1
08-28-2010, 10:59 AM
It's nice to see Maglite coming back with a modern led.