View Full Version : Refinishing my 5906 what are my options

07-18-2010, 7:29 PM
As the title says i want to have my Smith 5906 refinished and wanted some opinions or options.

Also I purchased this used and the sights are as far as I can adjust them and it still wont shoot straight. Anybody have some advice on sights. Its not that big of a deal but at 14 yards it shoots about 5 inches to the right for evetyone that shoots it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Foriegn power
07-18-2010, 7:44 PM
Is it the same as a model 59? post a picture, if it's a classic I would leave it as is, unless it's a 24/7 tool.

07-18-2010, 8:12 PM
I'm glad I'm in no need of refinishing my 5906, but if I do I'd probably do a satin bead blast finish again. My question is, do you have an all stainless 5906 or one with an aluminum frame?

About your gun shooting to the right. Have you check to see if the crown is damaged?

07-18-2010, 8:12 PM
The smith in question is like the one pictured in the original post.(not mine)

My classic smith will remain unaltered

07-18-2010, 9:20 PM
Assuming it's all stainless there are only so many options. You can have it bead blasted, polished or maybe coated. Hard chroming it would be kind of pointless given that it's already stainless. Blackening a stainless gun can be done, but it might get kind of expensive.

07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Alas, JTROKS beat me to suggesting inspecting the muzzle crown. Any dings that touch the lands & grooves are suspect. If the ding in minor, a good gunsmith could polish or hone that out in jig time.

Check the barrel bushing (if it's using one) to seee if the busing is worn or the barrel /bushing fit is too loose (usually it'll be less consistent). There should be almost zero play with the slide locked when you push NSEW on the barrel.

Inspect the barrel around the muzzle area and bushing. Look for signs excessive wear to the sides especially.

Inspect the rear of the barrel's breechblock/barrel hood for peening on one side. A non-square barrel unit will be pushed slightly to one side. This is probably unlikely but worth checking.

As for refinishing...
If yours is an all stainless unit, just have it lightly bead blasted to bring back the soft stainless finish.

Aluminum alloy guns "in the white" usually have a clear-coat on them to protect the aluminum alloy. You'd have to strip and replace the finish. Or have the aluminum anozided.

Or you can play "dress up" and polish the stainless parts with Mother's Mag and Aluminium polish. It'll give you anything from a slightly flat shine to a nickel-like mirrored surface. Just don't polish the top strap or the rear of the slide due to reflecting light.

07-19-2010, 6:16 PM
Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I was thinking about duracoat but have no experience. Any thoughts?