PDA

View Full Version : Sigma trigger question

5.56Geo
07-18-2010, 6:32 PM
I know that a lot of gun accessory manufactures are members or visit Calguns. My question is why has no one designed a drop in trigger or replacement parts that would fix or improve the trigger issues that sigma has had. I know the argument that there is nothing wrong with the trigger it was designed that way. I say if a new after market trigger was available some Sigma owners would be willing to pay upwards of $150 to have a crisp short 3.5lbs trigger pull. Other may say $400 for a new Sigma and $150 for a new trigger I should get an M&P but there are many Sigma owners that have considered their Sigma a loss that would pay for the upgrade. Many love the ergonomics of the Sigma but hate the trigger pull and the poor Sigma sits in a safe. I dont know if the question has been asked, if has please forgive me.:D

JAGGUY
07-18-2010, 7:03 PM
Just buy the new S&W SD. Sigma with a good trigger and better sights for around $50 more.
A used Sigma often sells here for close to $300 often.

ojisan
07-18-2010, 7:05 PM
Drop in parts to provide a short 3-5pound trigger would require a new sear housing block with different cam angles and new trigger bars etc.
As the block is molded polymer, to make a replacement would cost way too much for new molds and tooling.
Even milled from billet aluminum, it would cost a bunch.

There is also the high cost of Product Liability insurance if you replace the manufacturer's trigger design completely.
It's almost as much as if you just went ahead and made a whole new gun.

It's actually an easy design to work on, swap some springs and polish some parts yields big improvements for not much money.
The gun is also in the budget / value price range when new.
This means less customers are likely to go spend more money on it.
People spend extra accessory money on their Hummer, not on their Geo Metro.

5.56Geo
07-18-2010, 7:23 PM
Drop in parts to provide a short 3-5pound trigger would require a new sear housing block with different cam angles and new trigger bars etc.
As the block is molded polymer, to make a replacement would cost way too much for new molds and tooling.
Even milled from billet aluminum, it would cost a bunch.

There is also the high cost of Product Liability insurance if you replace the manufacturer's trigger design completely.
It's almost as much as if you just went ahead and made a whole new gun.

Thank you, that what I was looking for. I thought you could do something like an AR Timney trigger but it's more complicated.

bigthaiboy
07-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Go to the S&W forum and YouTube, and do a search for: "Sigma trigger job". Nothing to buy, just a matter of removing two springs.

mcholak
07-19-2010, 6:43 AM
It really is easy. I'd be careful about removing springs or even cutting the pig tails if you plan to carry the gun or depend on it to defend your life at home, but that's just me. Lots of people hate them, personally I love mine. It's no 1911, but it's a damn reliable gun.

vintagedude88
07-19-2010, 9:05 AM
I took out the two springs and now it shoots great. I've tested it at the range and so far no failures. If you just want to reduce some of the trigger pull, take out the big torsion spring in the back. For details on that look here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqJ2LhhSmk

afro
07-19-2010, 9:20 AM
Here's a good step-by-step guide with pictures

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/101197-sigma-trigger-fix.html