PDA

View Full Version : $1000 for a CCW?

ghettoshecky
04-17-2006, 7:27 PM
Okay so here's a question that came to my mind recently. If there is a $1000 limit for a single person to donate to a Sheriff candidate, then that would make that person a big contributer. Say ff I was to offer the candidate a $1000 donation wouldn't the candidate issue me a CCW if I wanted it? Or if I raise $2000-$3000 for his campaign (give money to my friends who then they write checks to him) couldn't I coax him to issue me a CCW and be an influence on having him issue to some of my friends? I know we're trying to get sheriffs into office who believe it is the fundamental right of any good citizen to pack heat and I really do want that too, but man I want me to front a gun first and foremost. I a couple thousand is a lot, but I've been saving up for a M1A recently, but they would be in the same price range and I would much rather have the right to carry a gun than to have an M1A. Any takers on answering this question?

antarius
04-17-2006, 7:31 PM
Yeah, it's called bribery and it's illegal.

In all seriousness; Yes, being a large contributer to a (any) political campaign will likely get your beliefs "heard" or even help them get pursued, but $1000 or $2000 or $3000 is not going to do that... and the way you state it makes it sound like bribery instead of campaign contributions to a Sheriff that supports the ideals which you have.

shopkeep
04-17-2006, 8:07 PM
Up here in Sacramento County a CCW requires at least $10,000 raised in campaign contributions if you look at who was issued and how much they raised last election. Not sure about how much must be raised where you are, but I am sure that similar affiliations and being good friends with the sheriff are also required.

linuxgunner
04-17-2006, 8:21 PM
Okay so here's a question that came to my mind recently. If there is a $1000 limit for a single person to donate to a Sheriff candidate, then that would make that person a big contributer. Say ff I was to offer the candidate a $1000 donation wouldn't the candidate issue me a CCW if I wanted it? Or if I raise $2000-$3000 for his campaign (give money to my friends who then they write checks to him) couldn't I coax him to issue me a CCW and be an influence on having him issue to some of my friends?

Giving money to your friends and then having them send it on to the sheriff is a felony. I can't quote the law to you but it's a big problem and people do go to prison for it. If you propose such a thing you'll get a brusque response from them telling you they don't want your money.

As for $1,000, that would get some attention but I'm not sure if that makes you a "big donnor". You can also give unlimitted amounts to the sheriff's operating budget or to various auxilliary organizations. I think a $100k check to that would make you a big donnor, and with the current budget situation here in LA, Sheriff Baca would be a fool to not "reward" big donnors with something as trivial as sign-off on a CCW. He was even making big donnors into deputies (with powers of arrest and everything else) for a while until 10% of his "celebrity deputies" got felony convictions and they had to stop the thing.

If there was "word on the street" that something as simple as a $1,000 check to the Friends of Sheriff Baca (campaign fund) would get a CCW, I'm sure a bunch of people in LA would do it (I would be very tempted!) but it's not that cheap or that simple. There are many people here who spend $1,000 going out for dinner every weekend, so that's not even very much money.

But I'm pretty sure it's closer to $100k or so to buy CCW here. It needs to be spread to various organizations, etc. It probably needs to be an ongoing thing, too. Cheaper to just buy a house in some other county.

Sheriff Hennessey in SF may be the least-issuing sheriff in the state, but at least his permits aren't for sale at any price. That cannot be said for Baca and the Riverside sheriff and probably some others.

Boomer1961
04-17-2006, 8:24 PM
There once was a Sheriff in a small community (Isleton) that sold CCW permits to anyone in CA for $1000. According to the news I saw he raised approximately $500,000 per year and was allowed to keep half of it for his department.

Back in those days you could have anyone authorized to issue such in CA issue one to anyone in CA.

This became a big deal for the gun grabbers. They called it another loophole and gave old Willie Brown a great big contribution to change the law so you could only get a CCW by LE in the county/city you lived in.

This caused a dry up of the revenue for Isleton so the city saw their Sheriff fas a liability and he was forced to retire.

I think that so many folks would go up to 500 miles to give this Sheriff a thousand dollars and that none of these folks that received a CCW from him later got into trouble speaks volumes that the gun grabbers just ignore as irrelevant as it does not support their gun grabbing ways.

As for that $10,000 contribution, that is probably just the minimum required if you seriously want to get a CCW.

Hey you could donate to George Wubya Junior II say $100,000, then say you life is threatened by the gun grabbers or the DNC and need a CCW to protect yourself that would not have otherwise not been required without that nice tidy contribution.

This is an interesting topic and does help explain why the rich and powerful support the gun grabbers because with their money they still get to keep theirs.

Paladin
04-17-2006, 8:57 PM
This is an interesting topic and does help explain why the rich and powerful support the gun grabbers because with their money they still get to keep theirs.

It elevates them above the "unwashed masses" -- the RKBA becomes a privilege rather than a right. "Limousine liberals," who claim to be egalitarian but really are elitist, are the worst because of their hypocrisy.

Alphahookups
04-18-2006, 8:00 AM
Seems like that perpetuates the problem more then fixes it.

If you give in to them and pay them, then that is what they expect and they will be even more against right-to-carry since they will be losing the business of selling ccw's.

Not worth it.

We need to get together and elect a pro CCW sheriff...period.