PDA

View Full Version : LEO buying from TX

mike452
07-18-2010, 1:33 PM
My friend is buying a STI from TX. They want him to prove he is LEO. He asked me if he should because wouldn't his local FFL take care of that?

I thought the TX FFL only records the FFL in CA and not the actual buyer information.

trendar5
07-18-2010, 1:45 PM
Many vendors ask for that info before they will ship to CA. If the price is right, and its the only way to get them to ship it, it is easy to take a pic of your I.D. and email the image to them. Takes 2 minutes.

9mmepiphany
07-18-2010, 2:20 PM
the ID isn't a big thing, they usually want an approval letter on departmental letterhead too

ke6guj
07-18-2010, 3:00 PM
the ID isn't a big thing, they usually want an approval letter on departmental letterhead too

why, when there is no need to have dept. approval to buy a non-rostered handgun?

SJgunguy24
07-18-2010, 3:05 PM

Why would the FFL need that? ID is enough, unless the buyer is trying to bypass the 10 day wait.

advocatusdiaboli
07-18-2010, 7:26 PM
Why would the FFL need that? ID is enough, unless the buyer is trying to bypass the 10 day wait.

I don't think it is the out-of-state seller's responsibility. It is your FFL who is in trouble is he misrepresents your status. That's the whole reason the Feds mandate FFL involvement--to verify eligibility and ensure transaction integrity. If your FFL sends them a photocopy of your ID, they should be satisfied with that and your FFL is accountable thereafter.

ke6guj
07-18-2010, 7:28 PM
I don't think it is the out-of-state seller's responsibility. It is your FFL who is in trouble is he misrepresents your status. That's the whole reason the Feds mandate FFL involvement--to verify eligibility and ensure transaction integrity. If your FFL sends them a photocopy of your ID, they should be satisfied with that and your FFL is accountable thereafter.

there is not even any legal need for the TX FFL to get a copy of the ID. A CA FFL can receive non-rostered handguns from anybody, there doesn't have to be an end-user documented to the shipper for them to be able to send it to the CA FFL.