PDA

View Full Version : AK mag bodies

theseacow
04-17-2006, 2:11 PM
My old school preban chicom AK mag was struck with a hammer thanks to a freind of mine. Where can I get a replacement body for it for cheap? The spring and follower seem to function, but rounds won't feed all the way into it.

blacklisted
04-17-2006, 2:21 PM
Did you strike your friend with a hammer?

glen avon
04-17-2006, 2:22 PM
I call BS

there is no way any mere hammer could damage an AK mag

:D:D:

but seriously, how is the lump on your friend's head doing these days?

theseacow
04-17-2006, 2:39 PM
I knee'd him in the thigh, and he is paying for the replacement, as well as 2 weeks worth of beer.

shopkeep
04-17-2006, 2:47 PM
I'm going to step in and say steel mags aren't as long lasting or durable as aluminum or polymer mags. I have the distinct honor of having totally screwed up my M-1 Carbine 30 round mags by leaving them both in a steel "Jungle Clip" in storage for about 10 years. They're all rusted now and _NO_ONE_ sells replacement parts so I've only got my 15 round pre-ban mags now.

Mags can and do get screwed up... in fact somehow bad luck seems to visit us just to remind us how bad the ban sucks here in California.

On a side note if anyone can share with me some techniques for rust removal or _ANYTHING_ that can help me repair my M-1 Carbine mags it would be appreciated... these things don't exactly grow on trees in Cali :(!

resistor
04-17-2006, 2:47 PM
Believe him....I've got a 30rd mag body that looks like it was caught between a tailgate or a really heavy safe door. Not only is is bent, but the outside has a portion ot it ground down to the bare metal.

glen avon
04-17-2006, 3:03 PM
On a side note if anyone can share with me some techniques for rust removal or _ANYTHING_ that can help me repair my M-1 Carbine mags it would be appreciated... these things don't exactly grow on trees in Cali :(!

yessir http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/rust.htm

let us know how it works

theseacow
04-17-2006, 3:11 PM
so does anyone know about the mag bodies?.....

grammaton76
04-17-2006, 3:42 PM
There's nothing in the law which says that you have to BUY your replacement parts. I'm presently nowhere near skilled in metal working, but it seems to me that it should be possible to fabricate your own replacement magazine body from sheet stock, and use that to repair your 30rd mag. The lips would definitely be tricky though... I'm thinking that something along the lines of an AK bending jig would easily form a steel mag body for your M1, then a weld (even jb-weld) along the seam after you've bent it into a box should work, assuming you've got all the dimensions correct.

Dammit! Now I'm thinking about a 10rd magazine for my Desert Eagle...

glen avon
04-17-2006, 3:55 PM
buy a mag and a 12-pack for somebody in a free state and have them send you the body only. it's legal.

ohsmily
04-17-2006, 4:11 PM
There's nothing in the law which says that you have to BUY your replacement parts. I'm presently nowhere near skilled in metal working, but it seems to me that it should be possible to fabricate your own replacement magazine body from sheet stock, and use that to repair your 30rd mag. The lips would definitely be tricky though... I'm thinking that something along the lines of an AK bending jig would easily form a steel mag body for your M1, then a weld (even jb-weld) along the seam after you've bent it into a box should work, assuming you've got all the dimensions correct.

Dammit! Now I'm thinking about a 10rd magazine for my Desert Eagle...

Magazines, while very simple devices, are actually very difficult to make well (even large manufacturer's can't seem to get it right --> USA mag, etc. although, low production costs are paramount to USA mag whereas quality seems pretty low on their list.). But, I am sure some people here have the tools necessary to fabricate replacement bodies.

CWatson
04-17-2006, 5:23 PM
Several of my AR GI mags got dented to were the would not function, follower would hang up mid way up,and I repaired them. I gutted the mag and put the body between two thin pieces if wood, about 1x3 inch placed a couple "C" claps to hold the wood in place and put some brake caliper spreaders down the mag body and expanded it against each ding, came out perfect and they all function fine now.

CWatson

grammaton76
04-18-2006, 7:51 PM
Magazines, while very simple devices, are actually very difficult to make well (even large manufacturer's can't seem to get it right --> USA mag, etc. although, low production costs are paramount to USA mag whereas quality seems pretty low on their list.). But, I am sure some people here have the tools necessary to fabricate replacement bodies.

Right... I'm figuring that while USA and Promag crank out a lot of lousy mags very cheaply, they're doing it on a production line and not paying individual attention to the magazines. On the other hand, I imagine that someone who's willing to put in several hours' worth of work to get it just right will have better luck. It'd be prohibitive to try and manufacture magazines that way, but if you just want to build one or two for your personal use, it should be feasible.

And when you have no other means to obtain the mag body, it's probably worth trying.

I'm still mulling around the thought of making my own 10rd DE mag. I think one of the biggest points would be making a bending jig to put that crease in the front of the mag...

icormba
04-18-2006, 9:18 PM
glen avon
Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2006
buy a mag and a 12-pack for somebody in a free state and have them send you the body only. it's legal.

ohhh!!! that's a down right evil post!! ;)

glen avon
04-19-2006, 7:23 AM
or I have one to trade for your soul MUA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA!