PDA

View Full Version : Invited on a free hunt- I hate California

Fjold
07-17-2010, 9:28 PM
I got invited on a free hunt in Alberta, Canada for mountain lion. Unfortunately it is against the law to import any mountain lion parts into California so I can't bring back a rug or anything. I won't shoot one just to get a picture taken.

&^%$#@ State and its nanny laws.

trob
07-17-2010, 9:34 PM
leave it with an out-of-state friend.

Bearclaw
07-17-2010, 9:35 PM
yeah...that'll end up changing down the road. Cougar numbers have been on the rise, and as a result, sightings have become more frequent. I'd almost bet that 10 years down the road DFG will seriously consider letting us hunt them again. Just wait until a few more hikers/joggers get attacked. Things will change.....someday.

ScottB
07-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Its not the DFG's call. Prop 117 passed in 1992 permanently banned hunting mountain lions It was a combination of "aren't they cuddly?" and "OMG, they are critically endangered!" that won the election. Neither was true but they convinced enough fat doughy-assed armchair "conservationists" living in big cities, that this misbegotten measure passed. Here is a pretty good history of the issue by the very jerks that rammed this though

http://www.mountainlion.org/States/_state_California.asp

radio2
07-17-2010, 10:23 PM
yeah...that'll end up changing down the road. Cougar numbers have been on the rise, and as a result, sightings have become more frequent. I'd almost bet that 10 years down the road DFG will seriously consider letting us hunt them again. Just wait until a few more hikers/joggers get attacked. Things will change.....someday.

Ya right, My friend that has a mining claim up near Gorman has a big problem with mountain lions and DFG tryed to do a controled hunt with the public but no go as the tree huggers stoped it. One month later he saw a helicopter with a sniper shooting from it and getting red of the problem. Mountian Lions gone and no one knows! Except for a few.

Rob454
07-18-2010, 2:07 PM
I can tell you that IF im out hunting/hiking and I get stalked or a lion comes charging I will kill that SOB and leave it to rot. Sorry but my hide is worth more than his

AAShooter
07-18-2010, 2:15 PM
It's just like doe hunts in California. Most of the county supervisors don't want to allow anyone to kill Bambi's mother so they don't allow doe hunts. Have you ever tried to control a deer population when you can only control one gender? Maybe we can train the excess mountain lions not eat any bucks or fawns.

Politics and wildlife management don't always go well together. Unfortunately, it is not appropriate for DFG to speak out on this stuff so people often blame DFG for our strange hunting restrictions.

Fjold
07-18-2010, 2:39 PM
I have no plans to relocate from CA in the next 10 years so leaving it at an out of state friend's house is just giving it away.

%$#@#$% State!

Bearclaw
07-18-2010, 3:09 PM
Ya right, My friend that has a mining claim up near Gorman has a big problem with mountain lions and DFG tryed to do a controled hunt with the public but no go as the tree huggers stoped it. One month later he saw a helicopter with a sniper shooting from it and getting red of the problem. Mountian Lions gone and no one knows! Except for a few.

I believe it. But all I'm saying is that someday, most likely in the distant future, the Mountain Lion population will increase to dangerous levels. And in this future that I speak of...it probably will be too expensive to run a bunch of sniper equipped helicopters around the sky to take care of the problem. And since tree huggers will hopefully be extinct in this blissful, joyous future of mine...I will someday be able to hunt that cute cuddly Cougar. :D

rgs1975
07-18-2010, 3:36 PM
Well that sucks. I was going mountain lion hunting in NV this October.

ScottB
07-18-2010, 4:06 PM
I am suprised the bit about not being able to bring in/possess documented hides or meat taken legally in other states has not been challenged in court. It has no bearing on CA MLs and seems just mindlessly punitive. I guess nobody thinks the stakes are big enough to justify the cost of litigating.

pieeater
07-18-2010, 4:34 PM
I am suprised the bit about not being able to bring in/possess documented hides or meat taken legally in other states has not been challenged in court. It has no bearing on CA MLs and seems just mindlessly punitive. I guess nobody thinks the stakes are big enough to justify the cost of litigating.

I remember years ago a group wanted to challenge it. So they called DFG the media etc and said they were bringing one thru the agricultural checkpoint at Truckee at a certain date time etc. If I remember correctly DFG said they would not be there to stop them.

ScottB
07-18-2010, 6:08 PM
I remember as well. I believe they were SCI guys. But it goes to my point that that provision would likely be struck down and DFG didn't take the bait

Hunt
07-18-2010, 6:49 PM

a guy could probably sue and represent himself and win this one. check out jurisdictionary.com

lewdogg21
07-18-2010, 7:06 PM
myeh, sucks to read this.

My personal take on this "hypothetical" is **** it. It's not like your shooting the last Polar bear and bringing it back. I have a disdain for pointless laws like that.

popndrop
07-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Just follow the rule of the 3 S's. Shot it, Skin it, Ship it.

It's slightly different here in CA.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-19-2010, 9:16 AM
You could claim you owned it before the ban.

gn3hz3ku1*
07-19-2010, 1:16 PM
You could claim you owned it before the ban.

comon dude! we follow the laws on cgn! thats just one scientific test away from being the rockstar of cell block c

professionalcoyotehunter
07-19-2010, 1:43 PM
It was a joke like owning high cap mags before the ban.:D I was mad I had to leave a carcass behind that was just hit by a car. What a waste and shame it was to know nothing was going to happen with it. I drug it off the road and was nervous to even touch the thing.

gn3hz3ku1*
07-19-2010, 2:21 PM
prob is the trolling DOJ does not get the joke.

Hunt
07-19-2010, 2:36 PM
Professionalcoyotehunter is now on the watch list for the SoCa Fusion Center http://www.operationdefuse.com/

professionalcoyotehunter
07-19-2010, 2:37 PM
:hide:

Big Jake
07-19-2010, 3:52 PM
:hide:

Don't worry PCH. I will protect you. If they come for you I will throw a few dead yotes at them. That will teach them! :43:

77bawls
07-19-2010, 4:29 PM
It was a joke like owning high cap mags before the ban.:D I was mad I had to leave a carcass behind that was just hit by a car. What a waste and shame it was to know nothing was going to happen with it. I drug it off the road and was nervous to even touch the thing.

Was it soft like a kitty?

professionalcoyotehunter
07-19-2010, 4:37 PM
Not really. But it sure was heavy.

gn3hz3ku1*
07-19-2010, 4:52 PM
Don't worry PCH. I will protect you. If they come for you I will throw a few dead yotes at them. That will teach them! :43:

if they come after you. can you make some jerky before they throw you out?

180ls1
07-19-2010, 6:10 PM
I remember years ago a group wanted to challenge it. So they called DFG the media etc and said they were bringing one thru the agricultural checkpoint at Truckee at a certain date time etc. If I remember correctly DFG said they would not be there to stop them.

Quoted for the truth,

Yea they gave the exact date, time, make of vehicle ect... they wanted it to go to court.

Big Jake
07-19-2010, 6:14 PM
if they come after you. can you make some jerky before they throw you out?

LOL!:D

Fireguy
07-19-2010, 6:40 PM
Before prop 117, how were the tags issued and what was the cost? What does the state pay a professional hunter to kill the offending cougar?
I don't remember where I heard this or if it was true, pre 117 approx 215 cougars harvasted by hunters and I assume they paid a fee to DFG. Now DFG pays PH's $5000 each to Havest about 215 bad kitties a year.

How much would you for a tag to hunt Mountian Lions

clay32
07-19-2010, 6:57 PM
I'd still do the hunt, especially if it's free! ...but that's just me, sounds like a fun hunt. I'd take lots of pictures and rub 'em in the environMENTAL anti-hunting lobbyists' faces.

guns_and_labs
07-19-2010, 7:04 PM
Do the hunt, then bbq the meat right then and there.

Take the hide and drop it off at the taxidermist in Reno. By the time it's done, the law will be reversed.

[maybe that's my frustration talking, as I wait for my hides to be completed]

ScottB
07-19-2010, 8:24 PM
Before prop 117, how were the tags issued and what was the cost? What does the state pay a professional hunter to kill the offending cougar?
I don't remember where I heard this or if it was true, pre 117 approx 215 cougars harvasted by hunters and I assume they paid a fee to DFG. Now DFG pays PH's $5000 each to Havest about 215 bad kitties a year.

How much would you for a tag to hunt Mountian Lions

Prior to the ballot initiative, there had been a moratorium in effect since 1972 IIRC. The act makes no economic sense, but then neither does hiring pros to eradicate hogs on the Channel Islands. The antis can stomach eradicating introduced species, but to them its only moral if the state pays a pro and nobody gets any meat or hides or enjoyment.

razr
07-19-2010, 8:41 PM
Thanks for posting Fjold, I'd no idea!

bigboarstopper
07-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Lions can only be killed by depredation permit. The sad truth is that the lion population is already way too big. Here in A zone the deer population has beed decimated. I dont even bother buck hunting here in A zone. The lions population has exploded because of the expantion of the the hog population.

I hunted lions last month in NV. While I was there I picked up a NV fish and game book. It promoted hunting and was very easy to read. I read it like a magazine and enjoyed it. After I finished reading it I became angry. The book that california puts out reads like a penal code and is depressing to read. Im sick of having to call a lawyer to decifer the leagal bs that california puts out in our fish and game info book.

Lions will never be put back into a game animal status. Nobody is gonna get it back on a ballot. If it does nobody is gona convince all the folks in LA and san francisco who think hunting is unethical to allow hunters to shoot a cuddly harmless kitty cat.

bigstick61
07-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Even more aggravating is probably the cases of hunters who take nice leopards or big ol' tuskers in Africa.

Fjold
07-20-2010, 8:10 AM
Even more aggravating is probably the cases of hunters who take nice leopards or big ol' tuskers in Africa.

You can bring leopard hides and elephant products back if you get a CITES permit. (CITES is the Council on International Trade in Endangered Species)

Each country submits aplications for the number of permits that they'd like to issue and the Council looks at the animal population and controls that the country uses and approves or rejects the application.

bigstick61
07-20-2010, 8:30 PM
You can bring leopard hides and elephant products back if you get a CITES permit. (CITES is the Council on International Trade in Endangered Species)

Each country submits aplications for the number of permits that they'd like to issue and the Council looks at the animal population and controls that the country uses and approves or rejects the application.

Well that's good. I had heard that it was simply verboten. Was it ever in the past?

mkfromnm
07-21-2010, 5:08 PM
Jeez, how many of these anti-gun, anti hunting j-offs are at this very minute stuffing their fat lazy faces with some kind of meat? I long for the day when: you didnt hunt, you didnt fish it, you didnt grow it, you didnt eat it, or eat at all. Sure as s*** would not have an obesity problem!

Fjold
07-21-2010, 7:31 PM
Well that's good. I had heard that it was simply verboten. Was it ever in the past?

IIRC during part of the 70s or 80s it was illegal to import spotted cat skins in to the US and I think that it was changed when the CITES authority was put in place.

Adrien
07-21-2010, 8:39 PM
I'll keep it at my in-laws place in NV for you. ;)

Adrien

gnatnoop
07-21-2010, 10:24 PM
not sure how true this is but my buddy told me he was up in Oregon and he got 2 mountain lions and he called the NRA and they had a lawyer waiting for him at the border so he could bring the hides into California, not sure if this is BS or not but i have seen the hides and he claims thats how he legally got them across the border..

ScottB
07-22-2010, 8:10 AM
not sure how true this is but my buddy told me he was up in Oregon and he got 2 mountain lions and he called the NRA and they had a lawyer waiting for him at the border so he could bring the hides into California, not sure if this is BS or not but i have seen the hides and he claims thats how he legally got them across the border..

I hope your buddy has some convincing paperwork to back up that story in case any LEOs ever show up to check it out. Sounds like beer talk to me.