PDA

View Full Version : sim card vs 3g...

nosuchagency
07-17-2010, 7:28 PM
late this afternoon my bb went on the fritz resulting in a continuous sos signal indicator. i did the normal reset stuff, then flew down to tmobile like a bat out'a hell before they closed (no home phone).

the sales girl confirmed the sim card was toast, then replaced it for free. however, she also mentioned something rather interesting that never would have occurred to me. she stated that the store had recently been advised via email that due to the recent network upgrade to 3g service, they could expect more of the older sim cards to fail due to not being able to handle the higher performance of the network (or something to that effect).

seems like they've offered 3g devices for about a year or more, so my guess is that it took them awhile to figure this was the source of issue...

anyway, just biding my time to upgrade to a droid of some flavor or another...

ocabj
07-17-2010, 7:59 PM
AT&T did a huge campaign to get people to upgrade their SIM chips 4 years ago or so. The old SIM cards weren't going work correctly with the 3G networks. So basically, they sent people like me who still had old SIM cards marked with "Pac Bell PCS" from the mid-90s offers for free phone upgrades, waived upgrade fees, new SIM chips, etc.

nosuchagency
07-17-2010, 8:23 PM
egad, i knew tmobile was behind the curve, but 4 years... :rolleyes: at this rate, perhaps they should just throw in the towel and change their marketing to a symbol of 2 tin cans with a string...

JDay
07-17-2010, 10:55 PM
egad, i knew tmobile was behind the curve, but 4 years... :rolleyes: at this rate, perhaps they should just throw in the towel and change their marketing to a symbol of 2 tin cans with a string...

They deployed their 3G network 3+ years ago. I also don't know why she thinks the SIM cards can't handle their 3G (UMTS), that's handled by the phone itself.

socalblue
07-17-2010, 11:05 PM
You need a 64 bit SIM car to realize the full potential of 3G/4G. If with a 3G chop set a 32 bit SIM card will hold you back (All voice & data traffic pass through the SIM card going in/out).

JDay
07-18-2010, 1:27 AM
You need a 64 bit SIM car to realize the full potential of 3G/4G. If with a 3G chop set a 32 bit SIM card will hold you back (All voice & data traffic pass through the SIM card going in/out).

There is no such thing as a 32 or 64 bit sim card, you're thinking of 32k and 64k cards. IIRC the card I got from T-Mobile nearly 3 years ago was 128k.

incredablehefey
07-18-2010, 1:51 AM
the droid rocks! i've never liked a phone so much!, just too much money

-hanko
07-18-2010, 11:01 AM
however, she also mentioned something rather interesting that never would have occurred to me. she stated that the store had recently been advised via email that due to the recent network upgrade to 3g service, they could expect more of the older sim cards to fail due to not being able to handle the higher performance of the network (or something to that effect).

seems like they've offered 3g devices for about a year or more, so my guess is that it took them awhile to figure this was the source of issue...

She's spouting bs...older sim cards are capable of logging onto the network around 90,000 times...not an issue if you're just making calls, but a big deal if you're logging on/off all the time to the data network. There's NO truth that older sim's "fail due to not being able to handle the higher performance of the network." Constant sync-ing off and on doesn't help either.

Issue was identified at least 6 months ago, newer sim's began shipping with new phones (upgrades or new service). The new sim's can be identified by an "Activate By" date, older sim's don't have it.

egad, i knew tmobile was behind the curve, but 4 years... at this rate, perhaps they should just throw in the towel and change their marketing to a symbol of 2 tin cans with a string...

Right...don't let the door hit you etc. Enjoy your Droid once you leave North America;).

They deployed their 3G network 3+ years ago. I also don't know why she thinks the SIM cards can't handle their 3G (UMTS), that's handled by the phone itself.

Again, she doesn't know what she's talking about. Both old and new sim's also work well with HSPA+ / HSDPA+. It's the total login / logout thing that screws 'em up.

hth

-hanko