PDA

View Full Version : fab10 into .50 cal?

hung380
04-17-2006, 1:39 PM
i have 2 stag lowers and 1 fab10 and i was wondering if i should register my fab10 as a .50 caliber? i dont know anything about converting a fab10 into a 50 though. can someone help or find out where i can get the parts? thanks guys.:)

ohsmily
04-17-2006, 2:07 PM
yes, if you DROS'ed them prior to jan 1, 2005. You have till April 30th to register it as a 50BMG. you are coming down to the wire if you qualify.

ohsmily
04-17-2006, 2:08 PM
and as far as "converting" it... There is no converting, it just involves putting a 50BMG upper receiver on it. Thats all.

bwiese
04-17-2006, 2:11 PM
Ohsmily's right...

...and again, do NOT attempt to register a FAB10, etc. that you purchased & DROSed on or after 1/1/2005. Frames/receivers after this date can't legally become legal 50BMGs.

Rumpled
04-17-2006, 2:19 PM
If you owned your FAB10 by 12/31/2004; you can register it by 4/30/2006 - that's really soon. If you didn't; you can't.
If you can, you can check into various uppers by Ferret, Ultralite and Ultramag, Watson's Weapons, ALRS and maybe others.
Searching will probably find some posts relevant.

SI-guru
04-17-2006, 2:25 PM
When you register your FAB10, I suggest you print out this document and highlight the part about FAB10 receiver and multi-caliber registration. I had a hard time registering my FAB10 as a multi-caliber bmg. The paper pusher just didn't get it until I fax her this document. A letter from her boss' boss will help. Thanks Alison.

http://fiftycal.org/content/JD_50BMG_Letter_Registration.pdf

ohsmily
04-17-2006, 2:26 PM
If you owned your FAB10 by 12/31/2004; you can register it by 4/30/2006 - that's really soon. If you didn't; you can't.

eachoechoecho

(and ownership is not a very descriptive word in this context...if he started his DROS prior to 1-1-05, then he is good to go).

hung380
04-17-2006, 2:54 PM
Thanks for all the help and quick response. Im gonna get into my car now and register my fab50.:D

Prince50
04-18-2006, 8:25 AM
Go ahead and register if you owned it before the cutoff date, But keep in mind, the mag lips need to be removed before a .50BMG upper will fit on that thing.

I do not know how easily the "Magazine body" comes out of the FAB-10, but the feed-lips and follower from a .223/ 5.56 mag would interfere with any upper.

The bolt for the .50 BMG conversion still rides rright over the mag cutout or mag area on a DPMS Cali lower.

Since the FAB 10 can still be had, even if you "destroy" it's capability to shoot 223. 5.56 you an get another FAB 10 for squirtgun shooting, and keep that registered FAB for real shooting (.50BMG) LOL. Well worth the price in my mind.

Darin

Let us know how that goes.

Rumpled
04-18-2006, 9:01 AM
On my registration for a single shot DPMS I put .223/.50BMG since the receiver is marked .223.
DOJ sent my confirmation 50 ; no decimal, no BMG.
Don't know if it's worth it or necessary to make any correction.

Stanze
04-18-2006, 9:16 AM
Go ahead and register if you owned it before the cutoff date, But keep in mind, the mag lips need to be removed before a .50BMG upper will fit on that thing.

I do not know how easily the "Magazine body" comes out of the FAB-10, but the feed-lips and follower from a .223/ 5.56 mag would interfere with any upper.

The bolt for the .50 BMG conversion still rides rright over the mag cutout or mag area on a DPMS Cali lower.

Since the FAB 10 can still be had, even if you "destroy" it's capability to shoot 223. 5.56 you an get another FAB 10 for squirtgun shooting, and keep that registered FAB for real shooting (.50BMG) LOL. Well worth the price in my mind.

Darin

Let us know how that goes.

Drill out the rivet and loosen the set screw, mag body, follower and spring is removed.:D

Hunter
04-18-2006, 4:05 PM
Drill out the rivet and loosen the set screw, mag body, follower and spring is removed.:D

Registering it as a .50 BMG Rifle doesn't make it also an AW. So having an open mag well and a pistol grip (regardless of the upper) would seem to beg for an AW violation charge From any CA DA office? Thoughts?

GTKrockeTT
04-18-2006, 4:07 PM
Registering it as a .50 BMG Rifle doesn't make it also an AW. So having an open mag well and a pistol grip (regardless of the upper) would seem to beg for an AW violation charge From any CA DA office? Thoughts?

my thoughts....fab10 doesn't have an open magwell.

Hunter
04-18-2006, 4:26 PM
my thoughts....fab10 doesn't have an open magwell.

Aw yes. I forgot that the receiver actually covers the opening of the magwell. I was thinking "pinned" mag when I wrote my original response.
Thanks for clarification.

Blue
04-23-2006, 10:31 AM
On my registration for a single shot DPMS I put .223/.50BMG since the receiver is marked .223.

They did the same thing on my Fab10.

Stanze
04-23-2006, 11:39 AM

As the others have said, it's a non-issue with the FAB-10, however a pre 12/31/04 reciever with a open magwell, I suppose you could cut the top of a 10 rounder mag body flush and fix it to legally "seal" the magwell. I would use a Stag 10 rounder, so it doesn't stick out and look goofy with a .50 BMG upper.

SI-guru
04-23-2006, 3:59 PM
They did the same thing on my Fab10.

I got 8888 on caliber on my registration. I insist on saying the FAB10 is multi-caliber.

artherd
04-24-2006, 12:06 AM

On all of my .50BMG registrations, I put "MULTI" in the caliber field.

All of them came back with caliber "50" also ; no decimal, no BMG. (I guess I have a 50 caliber gun now? 50" !?!?! :)

I do not think it is a big deal at all, as there is no legislative or case law affecting caliber stampings in any way whatsoever. It is informational only and stamped by gun makers to clairify what kind of ammo goes in (for idoits.) That is all.

spitkiss
04-24-2006, 3:52 PM
I have been debating whether or not to do this for months. I got my fab-10 in oct 04 and now that I have more off list lowers than i know what to do with i can't imagine ever wanting to use it to shoot 5.56. The 50bmg sounds appealing but the only problem is that i know of no range close by to the bay area that will allow it. I'm leaning towards not registering it as a 50 and just selling it altogether or maybe sending in the registration card on the 29th for fun. I just cant make up my mind :(

rastro
04-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I have been debating whether or not to do this for months. I got my fab-10 in oct 04 and now that I have more off list lowers than i know what to do with i can't imagine ever wanting to use it to shoot 5.56. The 50bmg sounds appealing but the only problem is that i know of no range close by to the bay area that will allow it. I'm leaning towards not registering it as a 50 and just selling it altogether or maybe sending in the registration card on the 29th for fun. I just cant make up my mind :(

REGISTER IT!!!

It will only cost you $25.00 for the reg fees. Five years from now, you will be kicking yourself if you didn't register your fab-10. You may never build it up as a .50, but at least you will always have that option available to you if you register it. . .

You've already got your off-list lowers and now that they are available at real world prices, you probably will have a hard time selling the fab-10.

SEND IT!!!!

tenpercentfirearms
04-26-2006, 11:56 PM
I buy FAB-10s for cheap! You will be lucky to get $125 for it. Now as a .50 BMG, it would be priceless as there will be no more until the law changes and hell very well could freeze over sooner than that. Register it! I did mine.

Hunter
04-28-2006, 12:24 AM
On all of my .50BMG registrations, I put "MULTI" in the caliber field.

All of them came back with caliber "50" also ; no decimal, no BMG. (I guess I have a 50 caliber gun now? 50" !?!?! :)

I sent in my papers the begining of the month and today received a call from DOJ asking questions on how I filled out the caliber designation. On some of my 50s, I had put down "Multi" and the agent said that was the first time he ever saw that and didn't know what it meant! Well I explained to him that on two of the rifles I have extra barrels in another caliber for them. He then asked which caliber they were in and I told him. I also explained that the VRS (which he never heard of) and the Spider F-50 lowers can be used for any AR-type platform upper in .223, 6.8 ect... So the "multi" caliber reflected that. I also stated I had called DOJ, prior to sending in the paperwork, asking them the proper way to mark my paperwork and was told to mark it "multi". He replied he had never heard or seen such a thing but "that wasn't the first time he wasn't informed of things by his management". I laughed. Anyway after about 5 minutes of explaining he said everything was good and approved. But not before asking me who made the F-50 as I showed the maker as "Spider Firearms", too which I replied "Spider Firearms" :rolleyes:

I'll followup here once I receive the paperwork back on how he actually entered them into DOJ's system. After this conversation, they could be sent back as "Multi", "8888" or as 50, I'll just have to see.