PDA

View Full Version : saturday night special - found it *pic*

thevic
07-17-2010, 5:03 PM
so my father has a Raven mp-25 old style in chrome with a walnut grip. about two years ago i found it burried in his attic, took it and cleaned it up and shot it. he eventually found out i found it and had it and didnt care, but one day he saw it laying in the closet next to the attic door and hid it away. on an off throughout the years ive always brought up the gun that i want it and he was always telling me i dont need that handgun blah blah blah and he is going to give it to my sister's boyfriend because he has a couple guns. of course this didnt sit well with me...anywho, last night i brought it up again and told my dad hold on a second *runs out to the car and grabs the usp compact and glock 22* show him and said if i was going to shoot anybody i would rather hit the perp with a reliable .40 and not some junk .25 haha. my dad got all excited and started playing with the handguns while my mother is flipping out that i have them and always travel armed as if she never knew (for some odd reason she dont care about my rifles, but handgun is a big deal to her...probably due to my brothers history with gang violence and thinks having a handgun is going to land me in jail because everyone does).

anywho my dad is worried that the mp25 may be stolen because he just bought it off some guy on the street in 1970.

But he said to go dig through the attic, find it and check the serial number and i can have it. which i shall go do sometime this weekend
(then post pics of my treasure hunt)

where can i have the serial checked? i have a LEO friend i can ask to check for me, but can he get enough info or is it better to check somewhere else??

update: it was exactly where i left it, but under the carpet lol (yes i know the saftey is missing..works better without it anyways..anyone know if i can fit the new saftey roll lever instead of the old slide which goes on this???)
http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab248/vpsmedeiros/arsenal/53642101.jpg

JAGGUY
07-17-2010, 5:18 PM
The Raven is one of the better designed SNS, most are very reliable. Since it was fully legal to do a face to face transfer in the 70's I wouldn't worry about trying to trace the ser#
Good luck with your search, I still like my Raven, it has never failed in the 25 years I have owned it.

Acorn556
07-17-2010, 5:23 PM
Pretty sure LEO can find out if it's stolen or not. Call him with the serial number.

Gun shop might be able to as well.

Turbinator
07-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Your story is a little wonky. Let's take a look.

about two years ago i found it burried in his attic, took it and cleaned it up and shot it.

Ok, cool.

he eventually found out i found it and had it and didnt care

Right on.

but one day he saw it laying in the closet next to the attic door and hid it away.

WAIT - so you mean you just left the handgun laying around in the closet, open, not put away in a case or locked up? NO WONDER why he took it away from you.

Turby

thevic
07-18-2010, 11:35 AM
in a gun sock on the shelf...pretty much no different then how i found it

littlejake
07-18-2010, 12:04 PM
You are supposed to fill out an intrafamilial transfer form for the gun anyway. Fill it out and send it to CA DOJ/BOF.

If it is stolen, you'll hear about it -- they'll come and confiscate it. Then, they will trace it backward (and forward from manufacturer's records through 4473s.)

IMO -- neither you nor your dad would be in any trouble. Unless he truly had reason to believe it was stolen when he bought it; as that would imply receiving stolen property with knowledge.

thevic
07-20-2010, 5:31 PM
found it. :)

PutTogether
07-20-2010, 6:42 PM
Try not to use the term "Saturday Night Special." Anti gun crazies love the term (think "assault weapon" or "automatic handgun") and it has racist origins anyway.

If this came off as nitpicky - my apologies and ignore it - i just hate giving the other side something to work with.

thevic
07-20-2010, 6:56 PM
we'll just call it junk gun then haha

drunktank
07-20-2010, 7:32 PM
Can't do that cause the anti's will say you are admitting guns are junk and thus, should be destroyed/scrapped.

Glad you found it! :)