PDA

View Full Version : Oh, For The Love of Shooting!

Sajedene
07-17-2010, 4:09 PM
Due to my (unfortunate) circumstances of living in Los Angeles, where no Wally World within a stone's throw sells ammo, I made plans to drive to the nearest one that did.

After some quick Google searching, phone calls to make sure I don't make the trek to a sold out store, and calculating driving distance vs. freeway traffic, I picked a place and planned my Saturday morning around it.

Saturday: So there I was, the usual 30 minute drive (one way) that took an hour with traffic, sweating my life away despite the AC blasting. Hoping that my roll-out-of-bed attire (with morning Starbucks coffee stain!) and sweaty glow would deter any "g's" that I seem to attract when at places like Walmart would make the trip quick was wishful thinking.

As I quickly push my wobbly cart through the aisles, I went ahead and grabbed some things for my pot roast tonight (might as well!) as I made my way to the ammo section.

*PLAY ODE TO JOY HERE*

Oh the mother load! Grabbed myself a bunch of boxes (this will be my first time shooting 165 grain - but I am so curious!) and happily left Wally World to make the sweaty drive back home. Here I am, three hours and a cold shower later.

So, now that I made you read all that blog-worthy text, feel free to share things that you do/did for the love of shooting or you can go ahead and sympathize with me for the lack of decent priced ammo in the LA metro (or gloat like the evil person that you are for having easy access to affordable ammo).

Chester
07-17-2010, 4:33 PM
I loathe Walmart... and I mean I have an absolute and utter HATRED for that god damn store. But for the love of shooting, I go there anyway for the $14 boxes of Federal 0.40S&W.

My girlfriend has been bugging me for a few months now to buy a bigger bed, but for the love of shooting, I'm willing to sleep with her elbow in my side and her pissy attitude in exchange for buying more guns, ammo, weapon lights, rails, etc.

The political right has always irritated me with a plethora of rhetoric and actions that define their beliefs, thus keeping me off sites like these or otherwise frequenting places where Conservatives tend to hang out. For the love of shooting, I've learned that these people actually have some good ideas and underneath the (what I think are, among other things) asinine claims of Obama being born in Kenya, as long as we have guns in common, I can enjoy hanging out with people who don't share my own opinions or beliefs.

Helpful_Cub
07-17-2010, 4:48 PM
I just hit every Walmart in the Antelope Valley and all of them were sold out of the 250 round box of Remington 9mm for $50. If your into 40, there was 1 box left at the Lancaster store for $54 I believe.

The sporting goods person informed me that I should order them off the Walmart website and pick them up with free shipping from my local Walmart, that way I know they'll have my requested stock on hand. Still have to pay tax though.

i1800collect
07-17-2010, 4:55 PM
The sporting goods person informed me that I should order them off the Walmart website and pick them up with free shipping from my local Walmart, that way I know they'll have my requested stock on hand. Still have to pay tax though.

I have never seen Walmart list ammunition on their website.

Turbinator
07-17-2010, 4:56 PM
I loathe Walmart... and I mean I have an absolute and utter HATRED for that god damn store.

I am now thoroughly convinced that my Thursday afternoon trip to Walmart over 1 week ago is exactly what caused me to come down with a bad flu that has kept me at home (working) for the past week. Dangit!

Back on topic, what have I done for the shooting hobby?

Umm, drive 10 hours round trip to go to an outdoor shooting spot. That was TOO long to drive.

Another time I got a "passing in an intersection" ticket on the way to another outdoor range. That sucked. Local sheriff deputy and his 2 backup cars administered that ticket. Luckily they didn't ask about the box of computer junk in the back seat and did not ask why I was going to Spenceville.

Not to mention braving the chilling weather at Panoche just to enjoy the place right after the gate opened up. HAIL was falling from the sky during that trip. Had to get back into the car, start the engine, run the heater, just to stay warm.

Good times...

Turby

Desert_Rat
07-17-2010, 5:07 PM
For the Love of shooting.Tomorrow,I'm going to carpool with 5 Dudes, about 1 hr and 15 min to go shoot some 3gun.While there,We'll sweat out behinds off and suffer the full sun.Most likley get a sunburn.But,for the love of shooting,I'll be there with Bells On.

glbtrottr
07-17-2010, 5:16 PM
Ah, the memories.

I remember when I was running low and we actually had to stalk the shipments so we could hoard a little.

LAX Gun Range has PMC .223 for 329 for a thousand. Not so bad.
.45 is still a little scarce, but...
Wallys world has a decent amount of .40 and 9mm around these days, with Remington 100 boxes for 34.99....

shooting4life
07-17-2010, 5:25 PM
I still cannot find 22 at the local walmart

Fjold
07-17-2010, 5:40 PM
My girlfriend has been bugging me for a few months now to buy a bigger bed, but for the love of shooting, I'm willing to sleep with her elbow in my side and her pissy attitude in exchange for buying more guns, ammo, weapon lights, rails, etc.

Tell her to lose weight, the bed will seem bigger that way. Then you won't have to worry about the elbow in the side since you'll be sleeping on the couch.

shoupdawg
07-17-2010, 5:40 PM
What'd you get and where'd you go OP? The closest Wally (Simi Valley) has tons of 9mm and .40 but no 38 special and no 45 acp.

nmerced
07-17-2010, 5:49 PM
gloat like the evil person that you are for having easy access to ammo

Bass Pro, Ammo Bros, Turners and WalMart are 10 minutes away from my house. :clap:

ThePhantomGT
07-17-2010, 6:10 PM
What'd you get and where'd you go OP? The closest Wally (Simi Valley) has tons of 9mm and .40 but no 38 special and no 45 acp.

This is the closest one to me as well and in the 2 months I've been looking they've never had .45 in stock :(

Bill Carson
07-17-2010, 6:15 PM
I have never seen Walmart list ammunition on their website.

They do not listed and not all walmarts sell ammo.

ZRX61
07-17-2010, 7:08 PM
I just hit every Walmart in the Antelope Valley and all of them were sold out of the 250 round box of Remington 9mm for $50. If your into 40, there was 1 box left at the Lancaster store for $54 I believe.

Eastside or Westside wallys?

Fot
07-17-2010, 7:27 PM
I have been getting pretty lucky with CVS ammo later.. 22lr, 45 apc and .223 at decent prices.. Ok the 45 is a bit high but they have it in stock..lol

2Cute2Shoot
07-17-2010, 7:32 PM
Saj, you haven't told us where your new 'G' is going to take you on your date tonight. :rofl2: LOL. I thought that was a bad word.

ZRX61
07-17-2010, 7:55 PM
ok, I'm back, Westside Lancaster *had* 3x 250rnd UMC .40 boxes.. NOW they have one :)

They also had about 1200 rnds of Federal in 50rnd boxes & a heap of WWB.

Greg-Dawg
07-17-2010, 8:08 PM
You should've given the G-Dawg a call, I have lots of Fotays!!!

Zeke003
07-17-2010, 8:13 PM
Did two road trips to the East bay from Los Angeles for an off roster pistol, once for the paperwork and the other after the 10 day wait to pick up. So worth it. :D

Sajedene
07-17-2010, 8:23 PM

I went to the one in Pico Rivera. Simi Valley was my second choice. I've been to that one before and emptied their stock of .40 Winchester (sorry!) Pico had a nice selection... saw some 9mm and .45 -- really either one was me having to drive through the 101, although man, the 118 is an easier drive than I5 but it was worth it! (My only wish was that they had some paper targets/stickers since I wanted to stock up and I know Simi had a bunch)

Bass Pro, Ammo Bros, Turners and WalMart are 10 minutes away from my house. :clap:

I hate you Q_Q so next time we go FNFL I need to give you money to buy me ammo ahahah :p

Saj, you haven't told us where your new 'G' is going to take you on your date tonight. :rofl2: LOL. I thought that was a bad word.

Oh gosh the horror!

I love all the stories of driving to go shoot :D And I know plenty of us also, for the love of shooting, go out and volunteer their time for Calguns. For the love of Calguns! :)

@Desert_Rat HAVE FUN TOMORROW! Bring a change of shirt ;)

Helpful_Cub
07-17-2010, 8:37 PM
ok, I'm back, Westside Lancaster *had* 3x 250rnd UMC .40 boxes.. NOW they have one :)

They also had about 1200 rnds of Federal in 50rnd boxes & a heap of WWB.

For the love of all things holy, they had more in back and didn't share!!! Be back in about half an hour, need to take that last box...

tennisman
07-17-2010, 9:26 PM
I have been to the Huntington Beach , and Westminster wallys the last couple of days and had great luck, the Huntington store had at least 80 boxes of federal 40s a crapload of 308s which I bought , a lot of 223 and 20 boxes of 22s all brands including target 22s, the Westminster store yesterday I bought 30 boxes of federal nines, they had around a 100boxes and around 30 of the oranges rws nines, I also bought 10 boxes of 45s , these were fedearals , and they had about 20 total of those, the pickens are getting better , at least in my area here.

Beetle Bailey
07-17-2010, 9:35 PM
LOL I was at Walmart today to pick up some birdshot and also check for .45 auto. No dice on the .45 auto but I saw a lot of .40 S&W and wondered if you needed it. But I didn't know if you liked 165 grain or 180 grain so I passed. BTW, around these parts, .40 is almost always available and 9mm is becoming available as well. Still hard to get .45 auto and .38 special. Oh, and .22lr and .223 rem are back in stock regularly.

As for shooting stories, earlier this year I went with a couple friends to Arizona just to go shooting. Found a place out in the desert a few miles from the city limits and set up a steel target 620 yards away. We shot clays, bowling pins, watermelon, and tannerite. The hardest part was walking out to 620 yards (not car accessible, even with 4WD) and then carrying the heavy steel back to the car at the end of a long day.

Sajedene
07-17-2010, 9:58 PM
Umm, drive 10 hours round trip to go to an outdoor shooting spot. That was TOO long to drive.

Did you drive there just to shoot?! Wow. Now, was it worth it?

And I wouldn't doubt that you got sick because of Walmart. :(

BEETLE! That sounds too fun. I will be able to tell you by next weekend which I prefer. Firing Line is calling! I'll be going :D You should too.

But yeah, Pico was pretty stocked when I went. So if anyone is in that area... now is the time to empty them out!

ZRX61
07-17-2010, 9:58 PM
For the love of all things holy, they had more in back and didn't share!!! Be back in about half an hour, need to take that last box...

I pulled up at the light on the corner of J & 25th & notice the truck in front of me has an NRA sticker in the back window...

I'm thinking "great, this guy just read the post on Calguns & is going to beat me to the ammo.."

Light turns green & he floors it, I'm right on him.... & then he takes the turn into the back of Wallyworld ARRGGHH! NOOOooooo!

I have DP plates on my truck... I parked closer to the door & beat him to the ammo cabinet :)... because he wasn't going to wallyworld.. he went next door into Micheals.. LOL!!

Sajedene
07-17-2010, 10:03 PM
I pulled up at the light on the corner of J & 25th & notice the truck in front of me has an NRA sticker in the back window...

I'm thinking "great, this guy just read the post on Calguns & is going to beat me to the ammo.."

Light turns green & he floors it, I'm right on him.... & then he takes the turn into the back of Wallyworld ARRGGHH! NOOOooooo!

I have DP plates on my truck... I parked closer to the door & beat him to the ammo cabinet :)... because he wasn't going to wallyworld.. he went next door into Micheals.. LOL!!

I just laughed out loud. Great story!

Man, now I feel like I need to buy the rest of the stuff at the Pico place :\

GlennG31
07-17-2010, 10:35 PM

Ugh. I am so jealous of you right now. I've only been to Bass Pro once, and I loved that place. I just wish it wasn't such a far drive for me to get there or I'd be there every weekend.

Right now, the closest place for me to get ammo is the Big 5 on Culver and Alton in Irvine. The prices aren't the greatest, but it's convenient. Otherwise, I make the trip to Turners in Fountain Valley and I bring my daughter along so I can take her to Prehistoric Pets next door. :) (Great place, by the way, if you're into reptiles.) That's the excuse I always tell my wife whenever she asks why we're going to Fountain Valley. "But honey, I'm taking our daughter to Prehistoric Pets...with a slight detour through Turners. :D

During the work week, there's a Big 5 off the 5 at El Toro...conveniently located near the new Hooter's. The nearest Wal Mart for me is at Foothill Ranch. But I haven't been in that area in a while.

I think Orange County needs a Bass Pro.

Someguy925
07-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Due to my (unfortunate) circumstances of living in Los Angeles, where no Wally World within a stone's throw sells ammo, I made plans to drive to the nearest one that did.

I think its time to get into the other grand offshoot hobby of firearms and start rolling your own ammo :D

Hmmm for the joys of shooting, I suppose I took a road trip out to Arizona last year to acquire a Romanian Tokarev over a JG Sales. In addition, I picked up an Enfield No.4 Mk2 at gun shop as well. Also had Heart Attack Grill that night too.

Helpful_Cub
07-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Nope that wasn't me. I'm glad it made your day though. I discovered through a family contact that I have access to a Walmart Store Manager. I'm thinking of asking for a pallet of 9mm... :sorcerer:

DaveFJ80
07-17-2010, 11:06 PM
I know what you're going through, since I used to live in WeHo and there weren't any close Walmart stores nearby (except 2 ghetto ones that didn't carry any ammo anyways).

Now, I just use my brother's corporate employee discount when I get ammo (he has to get it for me, but he can look up in the system the exact quantity of ammo in stores, and when new shipments come in). So I'll usually stock up when I have the chance.

Currently, my price on a box of Federal 9mm FMJ is $8.21 after sales tax :)

nmerced
07-18-2010, 3:53 AM
I hate you Q_Q so next time we go FNFL I need to give you money to buy me ammo ahahah :p

Sure. Wolf brand HPs ok with you? :biggrinjester:

geeknow
07-18-2010, 5:01 AM

After some quick Google searching, phone calls to make sure I don't make the trek to a sold out store, and calculating driving distance vs. freeway traffic, I picked a place and planned my Saturday morning around it.

Saturday: So there I was, the usual 30 minute drive (one way) that took an hour with traffic, sweating my life away despite the AC blasting. Hoping that my roll-out-of-bed attire (with morning Starbucks coffee stain!) and sweaty glow would deter any "g's" that I seem to attract when at places like Walmart would make the trip quick was wishful thinking.

As I quickly push my wobbly cart through the aisles, I went ahead and grabbed some things for my pot roast tonight (might as well!) as I made my way to the ammo section.

*PLAY ODE TO JOY HERE*

Oh the mother load! Grabbed myself a bunch of boxes (this will be my first time shooting 165 grain - but I am so curious!) and happily left Wally World to make the sweaty drive back home. Here I am, three hours and a cold shower later.

So, now that I made you read all that blog-worthy text, feel free to share things that you do/did for the love of shooting or you can go ahead and sympathize with me for the lack of decent priced ammo in the LA metro (or gloat like the evil person that you are for having easy access to affordable ammo).

Dude, you call a 30-minute drive from 'the badlands' (ie; the West side), to pick up some 40s&w, a "blog-worthy text"...?

:D

I just got back from a 260 mile (round trip) journey to a Zombie infested Ridge...complete with requisite 4x4 adventures....where I met up with about ~100 other precision marks-people, and proceeded to deliver massive amounts of, coincidentally, 165grain 'love'.

:cool2:

23 Blast
07-18-2010, 6:35 AM

OTOH, you're still in the 909...
;)

j/k - I'm glad I don't live in LA anymore, glad I have ammo bros and WalMart close by. Only thing with my WalMart is that they inexplicably never seem to have .38 or .357 in stock. Loads of 9mm and .223, though.

Sajedene
07-18-2010, 9:05 AM
Dude, you call a 30-minute drive from 'the badlands' (ie; the West side), to pick up some 40s&w, a "blog-worthy text"...?

:D

I just got back from a 260 mile (round trip) journey to a Zombie infested Ridge...complete with requisite 4x4 adventures....where I met up with about ~100 other precision marks-people, and proceeded to deliver massive amounts of, coincidentally, 165grain 'love'.

:cool2:

well my 30 minute drive took a bit over three hours just to buy ammo. And I typed a massive amount of text to say "I drove around for hours just to buy ammo." :P

I saw the pictures of the shoot. As I said, I am sad I missed out!

@NMerced: ahaha :( you're funny. Go swim in your pool of ammo :(

nmerced
07-18-2010, 10:32 AM
@NMerced: ahaha :( you're funny. Go swim in your pool of ammo :(

Don't feel so bad. If you notice what caliber my Glocks are, they're not exactly the type any LGS would be well stocked with. Its a constant search for me as well.

I don't mind picking up a few boxes for you the next time we go FNFL. :)

9mmepiphany
07-18-2010, 2:42 PM
Hoping that my roll-out-of-bed attire (with morning Starbucks coffee stain!) and sweaty glow would deter any "g's" that I seem to attract when at places like Walmart would make the trip quick was wishful thinking.

...gloat like the evil person that you are for having easy access to affordable ammo

this is the gloat :43:

i hate spending a lot of money, but i also love a good price, so back when Century International Arms (CIA) was importing PMP 115gr 9mm ammo to, fund South Africa's need for hard currency, for $100/1k rounds (with free shipping) i bought 5k rounds and just added it to the 3k rounds of 7.62x39mm ammo at $78/k i was ordering...the UPS guy wasn't happy about lugging that ammo up to the door.

i think the last .40 ammo i got was from Milwal in Grass Valley. it was high quality remanufactured in once fired cases. i told someone about a annual sale they have and asked him to call me when he got there. i asked him to pickup what i needed and had him bring it to work...where i traded ammo i wasn't using for it even up. i hate taking advantage of nerds...but i hate driving and parking in hot weather more.

it's nice to know that other folks go out in coffee stained (especially Starbucks) clothes too. yes sometimes i go to WalMart too, for the odd calibre i haven't stocked up on...when "G's" take an interest in me, i give them the yard look and they usually back off. i've been told that Cons and Cops look at people the same way...like we have a right

Spaceghost
07-18-2010, 4:01 PM
You guys are nuts. I can crank out a case of 45 while you are driving to trailer trash heaven. I can say that because I used to work in a factory that made mobile homes, the worst summer job a sixteen year old can have. Why do you people work so hard for ammo? Madness.

tennisman
07-18-2010, 5:08 PM
Hey kids, just left Wally in huntington beach and they have 30 boxes of fortays, federals, 5 100 round boxes fo 40s and 25 100round 9mm winchester boxes, go getem

Turbinator
07-18-2010, 7:01 PM
Did you drive there just to shoot?! Wow. Now, was it worth it?

It wasn't bad. It is a spot close to the CA / NV border, in an area around Truckee. The only problem was that we couldn't drive right up to the shooting benches, we had to haul all of our gear in with us, so it was not only a 5 hour drive to get there, but a 15 minute hike with all of our gear to actually get settled in to go shooting. Then of course the 5 hour drive back home. What a long day that was.

And I wouldn't doubt that you got sick because of Walmart. :(

Oh yeah? I walked into the store, and suddenly my left eye felt a little irritated, so walking to the area where they sell the motor oil, I was rubbing my eye. I walked right past all sorts of people from all different trailer parks. You could really tell. That night, bam, sore throat, and I was knocked out for the weekend. I blame Walmart!!

Turby

Sajedene
07-18-2010, 11:16 PM
this is the gloat :43:

i hate spending a lot of money, but i also love a good price, so back when Century International Arms (CIA) was importing PMP 115gr 9mm ammo to, fund South Africa's need for hard currency, for $100/1k rounds (with free shipping) i bought 5k rounds and just added it to the 3k rounds of 7.62x39mm ammo at $78/k i was ordering...the UPS guy wasn't happy about lugging that ammo up to the door.

i think the last .40 ammo i got was from Milwal in Grass Valley. it was high quality remanufactured in once fired cases. i told someone about a annual sale they have and asked him to call me when he got there. i asked him to pickup what i needed and had him bring it to work...where i traded ammo i wasn't using for it even up. i hate taking advantage of nerds...but i hate driving and parking in hot weather more.

it's nice to know that other folks go out in coffee stained (especially Starbucks) clothes too. yes sometimes i go to WalMart too, for the odd calibre i haven't stocked up on...when "G's" take an interest in me, i give them the yard look and they usually back off. i've been told that Cons and Cops look at people the same way...like we have a right

Sweet gloat. :x

Now I gotta try the yard look. How exactly is that? Is it like any stare down? I try to avoid eye contact because I guess when I do its usually me saying "oh yeah I like ;) "

Turby: I was agreeing with you about Walmart. I am sure that is why you got sick! Or did the sun just confuse me more right now. :p

9mmepiphany
07-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Sweet gloat. :x

Now I gotta try the yard look. How exactly is that? Is it like any stare down? I try to avoid eye contact because I guess when I do its usually me saying "oh yeah I like ;) "

it's a slightly different look

one says, "you look tasty"
the other says, "i'd gut you, but i can't be bothered"...the funny thing is that it is the same look that a Tea Master has when performing the Tea Ceremony

it's a zen thing :cool2:

AlliedArmory
07-21-2010, 10:07 PM
I live about 10 minutes on streets from Pico Rivera Walmart. I usually have an easy time finding 22lr and 9mm. They almost always have 40s&w and once in a while they have 45acp.

If I am in need and they do not have any I can easily get to West Co, Industry or Duarte in about 20-25 minutes.

But I am pretty well stocked up so I just pickup a few boxes when I see them. But I do pickup the Federal 45acp boxes everytime if I see them since it is the hardest in my opinion to find.

ZRX61
07-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Now I'm all stocked up for a while I feel the need to go "redistribute some lead" in various calibers at a certain *place* on SanFrisquito Cyn on Saturday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/Range%20Day/RangeDay4007.jpg

Paper Boy
07-22-2010, 7:58 AM
AZ for JG sales ammo and 20$ shotgun shells at wallmart. I have friends there but I have planned trips with a list of gun stores to hit befor they get off work and to do some shooting at my old spots. :rolleyes:

Double_D
07-22-2010, 8:17 AM
I should find a place to stay in socal next summer. I'd like to experience first hand what it's like being in the gun community down there.

M. D. Van Norman
07-22-2010, 10:17 AM
For the love of shooting, I have driven over 1,500 miles and waited up to seven months to acquire new antique firearms. :whistling:

Turbinator
07-24-2010, 8:42 AM
Turby: I was agreeing with you about Walmart. I am sure that is why you got sick! Or did the sun just confuse me more right now. :p

Sorry sorry, I reread what you wrote, and you're right.. I think I was still delerious from my illness, but 2 weeks later I'm nearly 100% better! :D

What, you read and post on Calguns in the sun?

Turby

pieeater
07-24-2010, 9:35 AM
Does shooting animals count? If so the farthest ive been is over 20,000 miles round trip.

Sajedene
07-24-2010, 1:32 PM
Of course it counts ! Like that Zebra thing you have :D

And Turby, well I was under the sun all day then posted - although if I posted from my phone or laptop then yes?

Double D: You should come out with us - we just did Friday Night Firing Line and I here talks of going out shooting again :)

I see lots of people driving out to shoot or buy guns too ... for the love of shooting indeed. And guaranteed worth it! Has anyone ever been disappointed with their long drive yet?

CSACANNONEER
07-24-2010, 3:41 PM
30 minute drive each way for ammo? That's a lot. I just sit in my livingroom or garage and rool my own. But, the closest store of any kind is a 25 plus minute drive for me.