View Full Version : Held a M&P 9 today...mixed feelings

07-17-2010, 2:22 PM
For a while now I've been occasionally tempted to get a M&P 9. Today I was at a gun shop and held one. It was very comfortable in my hand with the mid-sized grip backstrap and it pointed rather naturally. Sights were ok for stock sights, if I got one I would change to night sights instead because that's what I like. I dry fired it a few times and the stock trigger felt decent. I was expecting the trigger pull to be heavier but it didn't seem much different than a Glock. It was different though because of how the lower half of the trigger pivots to clear the trigger safety rather than how the Glock trigger is one piece but has the pivoting safety in the center of the trigger. The M&P 9 is a rather good looking gun.

My mixed feelings about it are because my OD Glock 19 is my favorite gun. If I got a M&P I think I would regret it because it is so similar to the G19 and I don't like to have 2 guns filling the same purpose or niche, if that makes sense. I'd rather have only a few guns I shoot a lot than lots of guns sitting in a safe not getting used much, but that's just me. I like how I can completely disassemble my Glock in a couple minutes with a simple punch and replace any part on it myself. The G19 points naturally for me as well, even though it is a different grip angle from the M&P. I have all the bells and whistles on my G19 like extended controls, night sights etc. and there isn't anything else I need to do to it to make it better. I ground off the finger grooves and stippled the front of the grip so it is very comfortable to hold. Also, the OD green color of the G19 is just downright appealing to me.

I haven't shot a M&P before but I think I would like it if I did. My Glock 19 is great to shoot, easy to be accurate with.

So I guess I will stick with my G19 for now because I can't think of anything that can top it. How do the rest of you feel about the M&P 9 compared to the G19? Reasons why you prefer one or the other?

07-17-2010, 2:27 PM
I actually like M&Ps. They feel real nice in my hand, and I can get really high up on the tang. I am the type who wants to have every gun I see though. It's not about having a cool collection and keeping up with the Jonses, I just love to shoot and want to try them all. Personally, I would go for it. If you really don't want two guns for the same purpose then try it in a different caliber. Trying it out would be interesting.

07-17-2010, 2:37 PM
A calgunner recently recommended the M&P to me because i told him i was a glock guy. I went to the calguns meeting in burbank 2 weeks ago and shot Andrews M&P9. I loved it and had to have one. Yesterday i went to turners and PPT'ed a LNIB M&P9 from another calgunner for $480. I cant wait to get it.

The ergonomics, reliability, and the accuracy do it for me!

07-17-2010, 2:44 PM
I traded for a M&P .40 and couldn't be more impressed. From the second I grabbed it, it felt near perfect in my hand. It points naturally and seems to fall into place shot after shot. The stock triggers are o.k. at best. I installed the Apex kit in mine and wow, what an improvement. Made a great gun even better for 100.00. I hear you about the sights. I hate 3 dots of any kind. I will eventually go to a 10-8 rear and fiber optic front or XS which I really like as well. I don't think it will surpass the Glock in popularity but, it is a very fine pistol. I'd really like one in .45, which is my favorite caliber to shoot.

07-17-2010, 3:17 PM
Stick with Glock :cheers2:

07-17-2010, 3:51 PM
I've had an M&P 9mm for almost two years. Its not bad. I bought it when ammo and firearms were starting to get scarce and expensive right before the new POTUS took over.
I like the big dot sights. I like the ambi controls (I'm a lefty). The grip is OK, don't know why everyone is so crazy about it. Its better that the Glock I guess(haven't held the lattest gen.) Its made in USA(big plus for me), lifetime warrenty. Several hundred PD and SO around the country use it. Available in 357sig so it should be durable in 9mm, I would think.
Having said all that, I think if you like Glock and have Glocks, the M&P is kind of redundant. Collecting is great, but if you think the S&W is much better than a Glock I think they are fairly even.
Before I bought the M&P I was shopping for a G19 but they were quite scarce at the time. The M&P just came along first.
My advice: use the money to buy more ammo and enjoy what you have. Or, add another shooting-iron to your collection. Either way sounds good.

07-17-2010, 7:17 PM
Glocks are fine weapons. But for me, the M&P has won the three times I have gone looking for another pistol.

I understand the hesitation of having two guns filling the same roll, but variety is the spice of life!

Table Rock Arms
07-17-2010, 7:48 PM
I have a Glock 17 and an M&P 9. I like the Glock 17 better. That said, I would rather shoot my M&P 45 (with Burwell trigger job) over either of them any day.

07-17-2010, 8:01 PM
My Apex Tactical tweaked M&P FS9 is easier to shoot accurately than my G19 but I verified that my G19 is easier to carry in the same holster and will be my main carry gun.

07-17-2010, 8:06 PM
I'm in the same exact predicament as you. But I'm leaning towards getting a M&P9 either way :D I can always designate the G19 to bedside gun and alternate with the M&P..

07-17-2010, 8:20 PM
I got one because I'm a lefty and thought the ambi controls would be nice, and I had heard alot about the "ergonomics".

I think the grip is very comfortable. I have smaller hands and use the small backstrap and it feels great.

Surprisingly, I found that I don't use the ambi controls. I kept the mag release on the left side, and don't use the slide release on the right side.

The 9mm magazines are annoyingly tight on the 10th round, and are so tight that I can't do 10+1.

The only problem I've had with mine is that the chamber seems to be slightly too large, so I was getting powder blowback on recoil. I sent it back to S&W and they modified the chamber slightly to try and get the brass to seal better, but it's still not quite right.

I have only had one failure to extract, but other than that, its worked fine.

Would have loved to get the 9L or 9Pro, but alas, we live in the land of the un-free.

07-17-2010, 8:22 PM
The only problem I've had with mine is that the chamber seems to be slightly too large

Wow, that's weird. That would concern me about buying one.

07-17-2010, 8:35 PM
I really like my g19, I was tempted to sell it recently when I decided to buy a new gun, but I'm glad now that I didn't. It's just so simple and reliable. Once I held a sig p226 in my hands I had to get one and I'm very happy that I did, and that short reset trigger is awesome. To mix things up a bit I bought the new gun in .40.

I've recently shot an m&p in 9mm, it was a nice piece. I think it's different enough from your g19 to keep your interest. Or you could always go w/ a different caliber. Either way, good luck and I hope you enjoy it.