PDA

View Full Version : One-handed Heel Magazine release - is it possible?

RogueSniper
07-17-2010, 12:54 PM
I was trying to figure out how to drop a magazine by operating the heel release without using my free hand. I know there are some guns, i.e. Walther P-38, that have a large heel release. A SIG P230/P232 is a little more problematic, the release is a little smaller. I could probably rake the base across my knee or try to catch it against my pants pocket.

mif_slim
07-17-2010, 1:04 PM
here's my version of a one hand reload. it looks liketwo had but my free hand is behind my back.
grUk6xXZ3gk

bombadillo
07-17-2010, 1:13 PM
Mif, lots of bling you've got going on there.

$P-Ritch$
07-17-2010, 2:10 PM
My first thought was the same as yours. Try to catch the mag release on your holster or pants pocket or you could pinch the slide between your knees, muzzle down magwell at 12 o'clock, and then free your good hand to strip the mag.

Those are the two best ways I could think of. The only heel mag release I have is my cz52 and I don't do too much emergency training on that old thing. Maybe I'll have to start...

Katana
07-17-2010, 7:27 PM
A SIG P230/P232 is a little more problematic, the release is a little smaller. I could probably rake the base across my knee or try to catch it against my pants pocket.

The heal release on the SIG 230/232 is superior to the side release button for pocket carry, waist band carry, purse carry, etc., for the very reason it's difficult to release inadvertently, or even intentionally by the methods listed above.

Just have the full mag ready to load in your weak hand when you release the empty one.

CALATRAVA
07-17-2010, 7:41 PM
Mif-slim, cool video, thanks for posting that, brother.

I'm a big proponent of training for the worst case scenario, and while getting shot in the arm is one common reason used, i also have to consider that i'll likely be carrying/shielding one of my kids in a handgun-related event.

I doubt i'll need to reload due to ammo expenditure, but accidentally dropping a mag or needing to clear a malfunction can definitely happen.

RogueSniper
07-17-2010, 8:16 PM
I have all of Magpul's Art of the Handgun/Carbine, and they have some crazy but logical drills of doing one-handed reloads with either strong side or weak side. Of course, they didn't have a heel release technique. Who still carries a Euro-style pistol, albeit an older one at that? Still, I'll have to try to wrap my head around this one.

mif, good technique.

Those are the two best ways I could think of. The only heel mag release I have is my cz52 and I don't do too much emergency training on that old thing. Maybe I'll have to start...

I've seen the heel release on a CZ52. That thing is huge. I could stab myself with it! :D

I've read there's a "New York reload." It's where you drop your primary and pull out your backup! :D

9mmepiphany
07-18-2010, 1:52 AM
there are a couple of ways depending on your gun...i think a couple of folks are missing the point that you're trying to accomplish the whole reload one handed

the only heel release gun i regularly carry is a H&K P-7. it also happens to be the easier heel release gun to reload with one hand...with the possible exception of the Beretta 92 (no S, F or FS). with a P-7 the release is pushed forward and the mag is propelled out under spring pressure.
1. i can catch it on the bottom of my belt or on my knee and just pull back on it to release the mag
2. then it goes between my knees, mag well facing forward, grab the fresh mag with my now free hand and reload
3. the P-7 also releases it's slide when i squeeze the cocking lever

with a more conventional heel release, that needs to be pushed backwards
1. place between knees with the bottom of the mag facing forward
2. release mag with fingers and pull out empty mag
3. insert fresh mag and pull gun from knees
4. catch front of rear sight on belt and rack slide. this is why i stay away from the sloped Novak rear sights...too easy to slip off your belt

$P-Ritch$
07-18-2010, 3:14 PM
there are a couple of ways depending on your gun...i think a couple of folks are missing the point that you're trying to accomplish the whole reload one handed

the only heel release gun i regularly carry is a H&K P-7. it also happens to be the easier heel release gun to reload with one hand...with the possible exception of the Beretta 92 (no S, F or FS). with a P-7 the release is pushed forward and the mag is propelled out under spring pressure.
1. i can catch it on the bottom of my belt or on my knee and just pull back on it to release the mag
2. then it goes between my knees, mag well facing forward, grab the fresh mag with my now free hand and reload
3. the P-7 also releases it's slide when i squeeze the cocking lever

with a more conventional heel release, that needs to be pushed backwards
1. place between knees with the bottom of the mag facing forward
2. release mag with fingers and pull out empty mag
3. insert fresh mag and pull gun from knees
4. catch front of rear sight on belt and rack slide. this is why i stay away from the sloped Novak rear sights...too easy to slip off your belt

+1, pretty much the exact same two methods I mentioned just way more clearly worded.