PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Whole AK to Ca.

kenc9
04-17-2006, 9:51 AM
Here is a question about a whole gun as apposed to just a receiver being shipped here.

If just the action, gun minus stock is shipped here, with NO grip, stock, and muzzle devises taken off with a threaded barrel exposed and may have a bayo lug on it am I legally exposed some how?

-ken

bwiese
04-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Yes, you are legally exposed IF the AK is listed in the Kasler list (DOJ's Roster of AK and AR15 Series Weapons) in Calif Code of Regulations sec 979.11.

Remember, removing features from any listed/named weapon does NOT stop it from being regarded as an assault weapon. That technique only works for "off -list" receivers.

Now, if the make and model combination on the receiver is clearly NOT listed here, then it is NOT an assault weapon at the receiver level, and if all evil PC 12276.1 features are removed (pistol grip, folding/thumbhole/collapsible stock, flash hider, front pistol grip, etc) before it crosses into CA you are indeed OK. The box of separated evil features should be shipped separately, I believe, for safety's sake.

Now, California's list of banned AK guns is not as clear as that for ARs. It appears that sometimes make (manufacturer) and importer may sometimes be confused or interchanged. If there's anything grey, RUN, don't walk away from such a deal. This appears to be the problem with at least some Saiga rifles now - the importer has changed from EAA to Kalashnikov USA to Russian American Armory, but the manufacturer seems to really the same (Izhmash? Izhvesk?).

While the Kasler list bans Kalashnikov USA Saiga rifles, this is poor identification and that really may mean the Izhvesk, etc. Saigas. While Harrott could be a defense here, that means you've already landed in court.

kenc9
04-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks, these are the ones I am looking at, each have their own problems. My goal is to change the stock to a hunter and keep the unlocked mag untill at least it is listed.

Century WASR WD VERT 762X39 NEW $369.00 Verticle pistol grip forend
Century WASR10 762X39 NEW $375.00 2 Mags, Mag Pouch, Sling, Bayonet
Century YUGO M70 762X39 NEW $529.00 UnderFolder
Ewbank German AK47UF 762X39 RWK $625.00 Underfolder/Black
Ewbank Romanian AKM 762X39 RWK $499.00
VECTOR AK47UFP 762X39 NEW $585.00 Black Under Folder -5 Year Warrentee
VECTOR AK47UFW 762X39 NEW $515.00 Wood Underfolder - 5 Year Warrentee

Familiar with any of these?

EBWhite
04-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Both Vector and Ewbanks are not listed. I also believe century's are not listed too.

leelaw
04-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Vector is supposed to be awesome stuff.. I was told that they would not disassemble anything beforehand though. Are you getting an out of state dealer to take possession, modify it, then ship it in pieces to your CA dealer?

Post pics, and stay legal.

bwiese
04-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Be careful, Century may be importer, not mfgr. Not sure what the Yugo M70 really is - wonder what the sideplate says.

The Century WASRs, the Vectors and the Ewbanks are OK.

Before you do ANYTHING in AK land, get photos of _ALL_ markings on the gun.

kenc9
04-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Be careful, Century may be importer, not mfgr. Not sure what the Yugo M70 really is - wonder what the sideplate says.

The Century WASRs, the Vectors and the Ewbanks are OK.

Before you do ANYTHING in AK land, get photos of _ALL_ markings on the gun.

Yes I have a dealer out of state that will IF it is clearly legal.
Now, I know that Century was the importer and not the maker I am thinking that IF the model that is on the receiver is not listed it is good to go!

Things I am trying to work out.

1) It isn't listed either by maker or by model, either one should be ok.
2) That it will take a straight stock and still reach the trigger like the Hunter stock set OR put a screw where the pistol grip goes so I can leave the Mag unlocked.
3) Getting both FFL's happy that no trouble will surface.
4) Most of these have been milled out for double stack mags. Are there 10 round mags that will work?

As soon as I work out the bugs I will give out his contact.
Who is the AK expert here???
Can someone contact whoever knows about AK's for some direction?

Thanks, Ken

EBWhite
04-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Yes I have a dealer out of state that will IF it is clearly legal.
Now, I know that Century was the importer and not the maker I am thinking that IF the model that is on the receiver is not listed it is good to go!

Things I am trying to work out.

1) It isn't listed either by maker or by model, either one should be ok.
2) That it will take a straight stock and still reach the trigger like the Hunter stock set OR put a screw where the pistol grip goes so I can leave the Mag unlocked.
3) Getting both FFL's happy that no trouble will surface.
4) Most of these have been milled out for double stack mags. Are there 10 round mags that will work?

As soon as I work out the bugs I will give out his contact.
Who is the AK expert here???
Can someone contact whoever knows about AK's for some direction?

Thanks, Ken

1- yes your correct- however if century imports the gun from romania and it says " romanian wum, century arms"- its listed. It all depends on who made the receiver- i hear dci makes lots for century- you should be okay, you need to verify first.

2- Yes, either way your good to go. A ak without a pistol grip is still very easy to use.

4- if finding an 10 rd mag is a problem, you can alway buy a normal cap magazine in parts and modify it to only accept 10 rounds.

Richard
04-17-2006, 1:00 PM
http://www.tickbitesupply.com/davids1.html#akmags

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ak10rd762x39.html

kenc9
04-17-2006, 1:53 PM
ok, got the mag problem fixed, this whole AK thing is not quite the same as the AR deal is. FFL's are alot more concerned when they are dealing with AK's.

I can get both to do it but they don't like it.

Has anyone done this here at Calguns before?

-ken

markymark
04-17-2006, 3:59 PM
I have yet to go in and pick mine up, but yes, I was able to have an off-list AK in CA-legal configuration sent to my FFL.

50 Freak
04-17-2006, 4:04 PM
I'm aware of a couple that were able to do it.

Veprs.

kenc9
04-17-2006, 4:52 PM
What city are the FFL's in? As a backup to my own.

-ken

Balo
01-23-2007, 12:16 AM
I am still confused about things here. My situation is slightly different as I am moving back to CA. I used to be a resident from 1990-1995. I bought a WASR10 in LA in 2003 (see pic). I have 30 rnd mags that I suppose I will have to leave behind or else I'm some evil importer. I prefer not to pin a mag to it either, so can I just remove the pistol grip and be good to bring it with me with some new 10 rnd mags (detachable)?

The receiver says: "Made by CN Romarm 5A/CUGIR In Romania Imported Cal Georgia, VT"
And on the other side "WASR-10 Cal 7.62x39mm"

The manual that came with it says Century International Arms Inc with a VT address. It looks like a multi purpose manual too listing SAR 1, 2, 3 and the WASR10.

Addax
01-23-2007, 12:51 AM
ok, got the mag problem fixed, this whole AK thing is not quite the same as the AR deal is. FFL's are alot more concerned when they are dealing with AK's.

I can get both to do it but they don't like it.

Has anyone done this here at Calguns before?

-ken

Yes, I currently own 8 Off List AK variant rifles with another 1 currently being built.

I had some helpful insight from several fellow members before I did anything, then I checked it out with my dealer who is very aware of what is acceptable with AK variant rifles.

I personally love (my favorite) the Arsenal SAM series rifles, I currently own 3 of these, they are milled receiver rifles, but they are also very expensive going for over $1000 in many cases upwards of $1300 today in NIB condition.

I also currently own 4 rifles built by Armory USA / Global Trades out of Texas. They use a thicker 1.6mm stamped receiver that they mfg. and they are currently building rifles using Polish Underfolder kits, but they built me a fixed stock variant since I supplied them the stock kit.

They are currently building me a Polish Tantal AK74 variant with a parts kit I supplied them.

The Yugo rifles being sold by Century use DCI receivers and those are ok to bring to CA (minus any evil features). In fact I may pick one of those up very soon.

This is a photo of a part of my collection..

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/k43qve/000_0032.jpg

SunriseF150
01-23-2007, 10:43 AM
I bought this AK http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=275 from Atlantic. They removed and kept the hicap mag. And they removed and left in the box the pistol grip (in case I decided to do a fixed mag). I made sure with my FFL first and she had no problem doing it as long as it wasn't on the list.

I ordered up my 10rd mags and MM grip and it's good to go.

mdhpper
01-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Wow, I'm glad I got my SAM 7 when I did! Now I wish I would have bought more.

I personally love (my favorite) the Arsenal SAM series rifles, I currently own 3 of these, they are milled receiver rifles, but they are also very expensive going for over $1000 in many cases upwards of $1300 today in NIB condition.

This is a photo of a part of my collection..

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/k43qve/000_0032.jpg

megavolt121
01-23-2007, 1:43 PM
[QUOTE=kenc9]Thanks, these are the ones I am looking at, each have their own problems. My goal is to change the stock to a hunter and keep the unlocked mag untill at least it is listed.[QUOTE]

If you aren't aware, but the DOJ lost their power to list on 1/1/07...

sdsu
01-23-2007, 2:13 PM
Here is my Vector Arms AK. They did a great job!

--:D Steve