PDA

View Full Version : questions about BLAZE ORANGE...

Hornet_RN
07-17-2010, 8:05 AM
noob hunter here...

1. are animals not able to see blaze orange (or any color)? of course, the blaze orange is for other hunters and people to see you, but i thought something as bright as that color, perhaps a game animal can see? which animals can see blaze orange?

2. how do you wear blaze orange, because i thought the whole point of wearing hunting camouflage was to blend into your surroundings? and what's confusing is that when i watch hunting shows, sometimes i see hunters that don't even wear blaze orange at all...doesn't that put them in danger of possibly getting shot by other hunters? (from what i heard, i guess hunters wear blaze orange while moving around the field, but once they find a spot to just stay, they take off their blaze orange?)

3. is it necessary to wear both a blaze orange hat and a vest? or a vest good enough or a hat good enough?

thanks

toby
07-17-2010, 8:12 AM
If you are hunting in Kali wear the orange! don't ask.... the amount of orange where required is stated in the regulations they normaly go by square inches..I think Utah is 500 sq inches? by the way Kali only recommends the blaze orange it is not mandantory! but since I've not read the Regs lately things could have changed so check for yourself just to be sure.

Fjold
07-17-2010, 8:29 AM
Most mammals are red/orange color blind. They see it as a shade of gray. Each state has its own rules on if, and how much hunter orange is required but CA doesn't have a hunter orange requirement, the last time that I looked.

razr
07-17-2010, 8:51 AM
Blaze Orange is for your safety and for the benefit of other hunters. Do yourself and everyone in the woods a favor and wear as much as possible. Also depends on where you hunt, how crowded it is, private or public. Most private lands, hunters know where other hunters are so you dont see as much Orange across the field.
Humans can see a wide range of colors because of the 3 cones in our eyes. One is sensitive to short wavelength light (Blue), one is sensitive to middle wavelength light (Green) and the third is sensitive to long wavelength light (Red).
Some animals are color blind others see certain colors. Deer can see yellows and Greens and the Blue color glows like neon for them. Again deers dont have UV filters in their eyes like humans. Therefore, they see much better in the UV spectrum but lack the ability to see fine detail. This means they're not able to clearly differeniate these particular frequencies from others. Scent & movement are the give aways so no aftershave either.

ScottB
07-17-2010, 9:03 AM
California does not require orange, but its recommended at least when you are moving around. My big game hunting threads are all camo and I carry a blaze orange hat and vest in my day pack. I'm always afraid some will see a set of antlers or turkey feathers moving through the brush and take a shot not realizing they are strapped to my back.

Animals cannot see color, so they don't see orange. They do see large undifferentiated blocks gray and they do see movement (very well).

They also supposedly see brightness - a flourescent glow sort of like a white shirt under an old street light or breaking waves at night. I use detergent without phosphates or brighteners when I wash my hunting clothes. Cabelas etc sell products that supposedly takes the brightness out. I sort of take it on faith its not all BS, but I gotta wash them in something so might as well use that stuff.

For bird hunting, my vest has a lot of orange on it and if anyone else in the vicinity I wear an orange hat too.

spectr17
07-17-2010, 2:39 PM
Birds see color so that's why you don't see turkey hunters wearing blaze orange in the woods. Also blaze orange in low light can look red which is the color of a tom turkey's head most of the time.

I've been shot at wearing blaze orange and when not wearing blaze orange in CA. Been glassed a couple times wearing blaze orange by jackholes with their rifle scopes so it's no prevention from the goofs out there.

DirtyDave
07-17-2010, 8:20 PM
Ca is not required, but I wear it depending on where I am and what I am doing.

Rob454
07-18-2010, 1:04 PM
Animals don't see the blaze orange. For the most part if you are moving a animal will hear or smell you before you see it. I usually go with a pair of good hunting boots. Carhartts for pants and a good thick shirt with long sleeves.
other than that animals dont care if you are dressed in so much orange you can be used as a traffic cone for 747s.
The reason you wear orange is to make yourself visible to the other hunters and possibly idiots out for their first time hunting. I mean I like hunting also but a 7mm magnum in the chest from a idiot out for the first time would take the fun out of it.

Hunt
07-18-2010, 5:32 PM
7mm magnum in the chest from a idiot out for the first time would take the fun out of it.hard to believe there would be such idiots out there, I guess there are.

ScottB
07-18-2010, 5:55 PM
Its not so much hard to believe as it is discouraging to realize that, yes, there are. Not many, but a few per year nationally.

lewdogg21
07-18-2010, 6:08 PM
I forgot my blaze one day so I pulled one of those mesh construction ones with the reflective stripes out of my toolbox and slapped it on. I'm sure it had lots of scent that didn't help but I didn't want to take the risk.

rino
07-18-2010, 8:56 PM
2 years ago i was shot at in d-11 ....so please wear it!!

Abesnake
07-18-2010, 11:35 PM
From what I've been told the camo isn't suppose to conceal the wearer from animals. It just breaks up the image an animal sees making it harder to be defined. So, effectively they just see a head moving along with no body. I guess with orange they see a head with a big grey patch moving along. Be nice if a company would make orange with some other "camo" shades so it would work like regular camo and break up the image. As has been said, animals know your there before you know they're there. So, it's really for safety...if that's possible in Cali.

Fireguy
07-19-2010, 6:19 PM
I wash my camo in a product called Sports Wash by sno seal. One of my buddies doesn't wear camo but uses this on his hunting clothes. The Sno Seal people have a web sight that explains how deer see. There is a video of how the producr works under UV light.
'
I get the stuff at Wally World for about $ 5. Post #5 explains this better than I can.

spectr17
07-19-2010, 6:36 PM
For those who are saying animals don't see color, some animals, monkeys, birds etc DO see color. It's why the male bird has such bright colors, to attract a mate.

http://www.colormatters.com/kids/animals.html

On the UV wash, I was a believer in the stuff but recently the US Military stopped ordering their cammies with the treatment saying the UV wash DOES NOT work. Here's a video I shot at the ATA Bow Show in Indy that appears to show that UV wash does work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wRe-OAaFSk

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1wRe-OAaFSk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1wRe-OAaFSk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Full Clip
07-19-2010, 6:46 PM
Deer can see yellows and Greens and the Blue color glows like neon for them.

Which is why it always cracks me up to see people in total camo except for their blue jeans!
Seriously. Wear the orange, regs or not.
Don't end up dead and make some other guy feel guilty for the rest of his life.

Baxter
07-19-2010, 9:34 PM
HE would be guilty for the rest of his life.
I wear it when I am traveling during deer season on public land out here. On opening weekend I heard a shot then, " Oh crap I missed!" . Then three more shots from other directions. I quickly scurried into a ditch hoping not to get shot by a stray bullet.

Cire 5th
07-20-2010, 8:07 AM
I've been shot at wearing blaze orange...Been glassed a couple times wearing blaze orange by jackholes with their rifle scopes so it's no prevention from the goofs out there.

You got to be kidding me? F that.