PDA

View Full Version : need a place to fish and shoot

generalpetres
07-17-2010, 2:52 AM
Were planning a trip here in a couple of weeks but can't decide where to go, we want to be next to a body of water or a river that we can do some fishing or swimming in to keep cool but we would also like to bring a couple of the firearms along to keep us busy when fishing isn't to hot. i live 30 miles from Los Angeles but am willing to drive up to 500 miles. Thanks for the info

Big Jake
07-17-2010, 9:44 AM
I just got back from a five day trip to Mammoth. Lake Crowley is a great place to camp and pleanty of National Forest land to shoot on. Lot's of places to camp in the area and the weather is great this time of year.

No reservations needed. I would just pack up and go. Great places to camp on the East side of Crowley Lake. Fishing is great as well!

cope113
07-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Try cherry lake in tuolumne County lots of fishing areas and plenty of forest to shoot.

generalpetres
07-17-2010, 5:41 PM
looking for a place where wont be much if any people so no one will bother us when were shooting but we would like to be close to the water.

cpt_majestic
07-17-2010, 5:47 PM
I just got back from a five day trip to Mammoth. Lake Crowley is a great place to camp and pleanty of National Forest land to shoot on. Lot's of places to camp in the area and the weather is great this time of year.

No reservations needed. I would just pack up and go. Great places to camp on the East side of Crowley Lake. Fishing is great as well!

You can shoot legally in the mammoth area? I wasnt aware you could with the exception of the range in bishop, especially this time of year.
I'm heading up to fish George and Maime in two weeks for 4 days, can't wait.

5shot
07-17-2010, 7:18 PM
You can shoot legally in the mammoth area? I wasnt aware you could with the exception of the range in bishop, especially this time of year.

There's a "no shoot zone" around the lakes basin and town. It extends north of Sherwin creek rd, west of 395 up to around Mammoth Scenic Loop. Most people target shoot on the east side of 395. There's a forest service shoot area around the geothermal plant.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/bishop/faq.html

And there's a lot of open area around Benton Crossing on the east side of the road.

Big Jake
07-17-2010, 9:31 PM

No shooting in the town of Mammoth, however, East side of Crowley Lake is open to shooting/hunting. There are signs everywhere saying so. The range in Bishop is weak and it is 100+ degrees there now. Much nicer and cooler up by Crowley!

cpt_majestic
07-18-2010, 5:10 AM
Thanks for the information, I guess I never thought about it seeing how I usually just go to fish..I'm probably going to stop by that blm office and pick up a few maps...

generalpetres
07-18-2010, 11:57 PM
what about up in the monache meadows area?

sideshowhr
07-19-2010, 12:18 AM
depends... what are you looking to do: stream/river fishing, or lake fishing?

generalpetres
07-19-2010, 12:38 AM
doesn't matter friends and i would like to camp near a body of water either river or lake doesn't matter but we would also like to bring the 22's and what not when the fishing is slow.

5shot
07-19-2010, 1:11 AM
doesn't matter friends and i would like to camp near a body of water either river or lake doesn't matter but we would also like to bring the 22's and what not when the fishing is slow.

Camp at Benton Crossing (Owens River). There's a lot of open country east of there to shoot, hunt rabbits, predators, etc.
Or if you don't mind the heat, Diaz Lake, Taboose Creek, Tuttle Creek, etc in the Lone Pine area is closer.

1911Luvr
07-23-2010, 7:50 PM
Make sure to pack a boat load of mosquito repellent as camping up there, especially near water, will see you eaten alive in a matter of hours. Got over 200 bites in less than two hours near Rock Creek just before sundown... I was bitten through a long sleeve shirt- what the hell kind of steroid popping mosquitos could bite through a friggin' shirt!

CSACANNONEER
07-23-2010, 7:57 PM
I like fishing at Boca Resevior just outside of Truckee. During midday, I just drive across the street to the Boca Shooting Facility. Then, in the afternoon, I return to the lake.