PDA

View Full Version : Hangun dilemma - which route would you choose

Gundam
07-17-2010, 12:46 AM
I want to get my feet wet with IDPA, and before I get blasted with the usual "just use what you got first" I've already made up my mind and do things right from the get go. I've played with FO sights and that's a must have IMO. I also enjoy the lighter trigger pull of my Dan Wesson PM7 so a trigger job is in order for whatever gun I decide to go with. I have a bone stock XD service 9mm, and although I like it, I'm wondering if there is better out there. So here are my choices:

1. Keep the XD and upgrade:
trigger job ~$250 (a large chunk of which is from 1-day shipping back and forth)
extended slide stop $40
fiber optic front and target rear sights $110

All that adds up to $400 out of pocket :x

2. Sell the XD (~$400) and purchase a G34 (~$520) and leave everything stock as it already has a lighter pull, and extended controls. However people do complain about the sights, so add $110 and if need be, maybe get a drop in trigger kit $130for a total of $230-$360 out of pocket.

3. Sell the XD (~$400) and purchase a Smith and Wesson M&P 4.25" 9mm (~$540) and get the drop in apex sear for $30 and add $110 for a sight job. So a total of $280 out of pocket.

I'm leaning towards the M&P because I have smaller hands and the XD is about as wide as I can handle comfortably. I haven't held a G34 yet, but the width of my friend's G19 was a bit much for me. However there is no denying the longer slide gives it an advantage over the other choices in terms of sight radius and recoil. What do you guys think? What would you choose?

randy
07-17-2010, 1:23 AM
Why not use your DW in CDP? Sell the XD use the money for a reloader or training classes.

Blade tec holster and mag pouches and have at it.

Gundam
07-17-2010, 1:30 AM
Why not use your DW? Sell the XD use the money for a reloader or training classes.

Although the dw is a quality piece i can't get used to the adj sights (and finding correct alternatives has been a pain in the *** since it sounds as if they have some sort or propietary cut. Plus I prefer shooting 9mm, enjoy the added capacity, and ammo costs are a big factor. I've considered reloading but I don't have the time nor the room for it

Quiet
07-17-2010, 1:38 AM
Added capacity?
IDPA limits magazine capacity to 10+1 for ESP & SSP and 8+1 for CDP.

With your planned mods...
Dan Wesson PM7 = CDP
Springfield Armory XD9 = ESP
Glock 34 = ESP
S&W M&P9 = SSP

Go with which ever fits your hand better and in your case, it sounds like the S&W M&P9.
Don't forget to factor in the cost of getting IDPA approved holster and mag pouches.

NiteQwill
07-17-2010, 1:54 AM
Shoot the DW. Sell XD. Buy ammo and a quality holster/mag pouch. Done.

OneSevenDeuce
07-17-2010, 9:18 AM
Which route would I choose? The cheapest that would still allow me to have a lot of fun and be competitive. I am setting up an IDPA rig myself with a stock G19, a belt I already have, Blackhawk holster and some cheap mag pouches. Done. I can compete in the stock service pistol category and still have a chance of doing ok.

BamBam-31
07-17-2010, 9:37 AM
--Try before you buy. Shoot all the above mentioned pistols AT SPEED, and decide from there. Sounds like the M&P is your best bet, but it's really hard to go wrong w/ a G34.
--Just keep the XD.
--Dawson Precision FO front, Heinie/Warren/DP rear is a good combo. :thumbsup:
--Look into Blade-Tech or Comp-Tac kydex holsters. Awesome quality for the price. I also like CR Speed competition double belts cuz you don't have to take off all the stuff and put it on every time. Pretty rigid, too.
--Practice your draw and presentation at home (WITHOUT AMMO!). Look at a tiny spot at the wall, draw and push front sight towards spot, and squeeeeze til it clicks at full extension. Repeat. Done w/ a timer is even better.
--Have fun. :)

oddjob
07-17-2010, 9:50 AM
I am no means a Glock person (I shoot a CZ Shadow for USPSA matches), but there is one advantage to getting the Glock 34. There are plenty of after market accessories for it. Its also easy to sell at a later time if you desire. People must be happy with the G-34. Look at the want ads here. You just don't see them for sale. There is also a lot of people who know how to work on Glocks (be careful....plenty of people also THINK they know how to work on Glocks). In the LONG run it may be cheaper to get the G-34.

I recommend you go to the local IDPA match at Sac Valley. Shoot the match and ask those that have the guns you are looking to purchase if you can fire a few rounds. I doubt anyone would say no. I'll bet you will finds guns modified just the way you were gonna tune them too. Shooters at USPSA and IDPA matches are very friendly folks!

Gundam
07-17-2010, 7:00 PM
--Try before you buy. Shoot all the above mentioned pistols AT SPEED, and decide from there. Sounds like the M&P is your best bet, but it's really hard to go wrong w/ a G34.
--Just keep the XD.
--Dawson Precision FO front, Heinie/Warren/DP rear is a good combo. :thumbsup:
--Look into Blade-Tech or Comp-Tac kydex holsters. Awesome quality for the price. I also like CR Speed competition double belts cuz you don't have to take off all the stuff and put it on every time. Pretty rigid, too.
--Practice your draw and presentation at home (WITHOUT AMMO!). Look at a tiny spot at the wall, draw and push front sight towards spot, and squeeeeze til it clicks at full extension. Repeat. Done w/ a timer is even better.
--Have fun. :)
Keeping my XD would actually be the most expensive route mainly because I would have to spend a small fortune on shipping the gun back and forth. I do plan on going with a dawson fo front sight and a bladetech holster

Does anyone know if tac light holsters are allowed? I know lights aren't, but what about the holsters? I want my idpa gun to be my hd gun as well. Don't worry I won't be installing a trigger with uber low pull.

JosephP
07-17-2010, 7:11 PM
Glock Rocks...
Get Glock... It is made for Practical Shooting.
Consider G35 also.

Gundam
07-17-2010, 7:18 PM
Glock Rocks...
Get Glock... It is made for Practical Shooting.
Consider G35 also.

The glock 34 would have been a no-brainer if it wasn't for my darn small hands. I will have to hold/shoot one first. If it's anything like my buddy's G19, it may be a bit to wide.