PDA

View Full Version : Wanted some opinions!

PositiveInfluence
07-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Hi guys I am new here to Calguns! I wanted to find a place to chat about firearms and I think I cam to the right place.

So I am buying my first handgun tomorrow! At a local shop here in Sacramento they have multiple used Beretta 96FS(.40 S&W) and used Glock 22's and I can't quite choose which to buy. I am pretty sure they are going to be about the same price, the Beretta is on sale for $429.00 and I doubt a used Glock is much more. So I wanted some opinions from you guys, which would be a good starting handgun? I am leaning towards the Beretta since that is the firearm I qualified with at the range when I was shooting to qualify for my firearms permit. I have had little experience in handguns and I seemed to do well with the Beretta. (Shot a 225/250 for those that know what the scoring is like for CA Guard's)

i1800collect
07-17-2010, 12:21 AM
If you're most comfortable with the Beretta, you should buy the Beretta. $429 is a pretty good price.

Glocks are incredibly simple and easy to learn and use, but they're not for everyone. I'd recommend renting/shooting one before purchasing one.

adamsreeftank
07-17-2010, 1:21 AM
If you are comfortable with a Beretta, then at least you will know what you are getting. In the long run, I think the Glock is a better design for the simple fact that it has a consistent trigger pull. I'm not a fan of DA/SA guns.

bjl333
07-17-2010, 2:06 AM
If you're most comfortable with the Beretta, you should buy the Beretta.

If you are comfortable with a Beretta, then at least you will know what you are getting.

The main thing is if SHTF then you'll revert back to your training which is on the Beretta, and you mentioned you do well with the Beretta ...

Get the Beretta !!!

Munk
07-17-2010, 3:41 AM
Check the berettas out thoroughly, and pick one with 1. A good barrel 2. A locking block that isn't cracked (happens if shooting VERY hot loads alot) 3. Generally good shape.

The barrel will only go if they've been very.... Aggressive, with their cleaning, the block goes to hot loads. Maybe check out the springs and such, and make sure the trigger isn't jacked up.

Be SURE that it's not a 96D unless you're after DAO. At 429 you're getting an AWESOME deal on a standard Beretta 96. When I was hunting for mine, i regularly saw them over 600 for a used 96.

Go with what you're comfortable with. I love my 96 brig Elite. Can't wait to send another few hundred (eventually thousand) rounds downpipe.

Greg-Dawg
07-17-2010, 4:59 AM
Get the Glock because they're very simple: operation, disessembly and safety. Lastly most of our law enforcement use them. Glocks may not look as sexty as a Beretta, but why own a gun for looks...as long as they do the job of putting holes into the rapist, burgler, psycho, career criminial, etc.

Nothing wrong with Berettas, my only beef is where the manual safety/decocker is located. Glocks are as simple as can be. Go shoot 50-100 rounds of each and decide from there.

VictorFranko
07-17-2010, 5:14 AM
I own both and the Beretta (25 years) hasn't left the safe since I got my first Glock. Yes, I cheated on my G17 and got a G22 also, I'm such a selfish pig!
For pure accuracy, go with the Beretta, but if it is a SD/combat weapon you desire, go with the Glock.

den888
07-17-2010, 9:09 AM
You can also easily convert a Glock 22 to shoot 9mm rounds for practice (conversion barrel and G17 magazine), so you may want to consider this also.

I am not sure if this can be done with the Beretta, or not.

sholling
07-17-2010, 9:14 AM
Both are good choices but for only $100 more than the Beretta you could pick up a S&W M&P and have a lifetime warranty backing you.

bsg
07-17-2010, 9:28 AM
fyi turner's has a sale on new sig pro in 9mm for $399.98 and thought i'd mention.... top gun supply on internet has the gun for same price; this deal is as good as it gets for what is really the most understated "best buy" combat handgun on the market imo.

as far as the two guns you've mentioned... try them both out before buying.

OneSevenDeuce
07-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Beretta makes a great gun. Glocks are really nice too. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with, what you are going to use it for, etc.

golfrj
07-17-2010, 10:47 AM
as far as the two guns you've mentioned... try them both out before buying.

Find a range that will let you try any other (than the Beretta that you already know) gun you are interested in BEFORE you Buy, Then buy what YOU like.. The Sig on sale at Turners is a Nice pistol that deserves a look also.. Have fun huntin, Jim

Oldnoob
07-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm not a fan of Beretta 92/M9 but I will weight in on stay with what you are familiar.

VictorFranko
07-17-2010, 11:50 AM
stay with what you are familiar.

That's like only having one sex partner your whole life.........BORING! :43:

OneSevenDeuce
07-17-2010, 11:51 AM

He makes a convincing argument.

PositiveInfluence
07-17-2010, 4:19 PM
DROS started on the Beretta 96. Pick it up on the 28th!

bsg
07-17-2010, 6:42 PM

yes... but you only get diseases that SHE gives you....

OneSevenDeuce
07-17-2010, 6:43 PM
yes... but you only get diseases that SHE gives you....

Catching the 1911 bug is fun though!

IrishPirate
07-17-2010, 6:45 PM
Hi guys I am new here to Calguns! I wanted to find a place to chat about firearms and I think I cam to the right place.

So I am buying my first handgun tomorrow! At a local shop here in Sacramento they have multiple used Beretta 96FS(.40 S&W) and used Glock 22's and I can't quite choose which to buy. I am pretty sure they are going to be about the same price, the Beretta is on sale for $429.00 and I doubt a used Glock is much more. So I wanted some opinions from you guys, which would be a good starting handgun? I am leaning towards the Beretta since that is the firearm I qualified with at the range when I was shooting to qualify for my firearms permit. I have had little experience in handguns and I seemed to do well with the Beretta. (Shot a 225/250 for those that know what the scoring is like for CA Guard's)

Firearm permit?????? What law or permit (besides CCW) requires you to shoot a gun to get a permit??? Not familiar with CA Guard's.......this wasn't a permit to be able to buy a gun was it?

PositiveInfluence
07-17-2010, 6:52 PM
Firearm permit?????? What law or permit (besides CCW) requires you to shoot a gun to get a permit??? Not familiar with CA Guard's.......this wasn't a permit to be able to buy a gun was it?

As a Security Guard in California, you have to pass a written test as well as a range qualification to be able to openly carry a firearm while on duty. You have to score a minimum of 200 out of 250 on the range qual. 5 points per hit on the 8-10 range on an NRA target. You shoot outside of the 8 you do not score. If you score less than 200, you run the chance of losing your Firearms Permit.

Legasat
07-17-2010, 8:11 PM
Welcome to Calguns!

You need to shoot both, and choose the one that feels best to YOU!!!

PositiveInfluence
07-17-2010, 9:26 PM
Thanks guys! The Beretta is in DROS now, pick her up on the 28th.

MarioS
07-17-2010, 9:31 PM
Nice pick up. I am a Glock guy who just so happens to also be into Beretta's. There is just something about the grip that makes it more comfortable for me to grip and fire than any Glock, but I like how Glocks are no-nonsense and all business/easy to function and use. Either way, I think you will enjoy it. I love the 92FS and I'm thinking about a 96 also because I love the .40S&W cartridge.

PositiveInfluence
07-17-2010, 9:38 PM
I was sweating bullets while doing all the paperwork. It is my first gun purchase ever let alone handgun purchase. I had no idea the paperwork involved and had no idea what I was really doing. Thanks to the guy at River City Gun Exchange for making it go all smoothly and with little to no pain.

pyromensch
07-17-2010, 10:42 PM
check out the thread on the hi-point, you may want to haul around something that looks alot bigger, than it shoots.
get what works for you.

tbhracing
07-18-2010, 7:16 AM
Sounds like the OP is happy with his purchase.

I am a 9mm guy and love my Glocks. I also own a Beretta for collection purposes so far. But If I had to go with one, it would be the Glock for weight, ease of operation, no screws and no safety.

But it sounds like the OP is happy and I know its important to go with what you know, like and comfortable with.