PDA

View Full Version : Carrying while fishing/hunting

blacklisted
04-16-2006, 11:26 PM
I've known for a while that penal code 12025 (carrying a concealed weapon) does not apply to licensed fisherman or hunters while hunting/fishing or returning to and from the "expedition".

However, I am unclear on one thing.

Isn't carrying a concealed weapon and carrying a loaded weapon seperate crimes? If you carry a concealed (or open) weapon while fishing, it has to be unloaded, right?

Of course, you can have a loaded mag or speedloader on your person or nearby.

Also, what if you are in a boat? Would it have to be in a locked container since you are in a vehicle?

ETA: Don't complain about this not being in the outdoors section, because A) Sadly, nobody goes there and B) This is a legal question.

filefish
04-16-2006, 11:30 PM
I think a boat is a vessel

I've known for a while that penal code 12025 (carrying a concealed weapon) does not apply to licensed fisherman or hunters while hunting/fishing or returning to and from the "expedition".

Isn't carrying a concealed weapon and carrying a loaded weapon seperate crimes? If you carry a concealed (or open) weapon while fishing or hunting, it has to be unloaded, right?

Also, what if you are in a boat? Would it have to be in a locked container since you are in a vehicle?

ETA: Don't complain about this not being in the outdoors section, because A) Sadly, nobody goes there and B) This is a legal question.

chris
04-16-2006, 11:31 PM
i have carried a pistol unconcealed hunting for quite sometime and loaded. but if you are archery hunting i do believe that is a no no. but i have never carried a pistol while fishing. i have taken a .22 for shark fishin that is to shoot the shark in the head so when you bring it in the boat you don't have to jump out as it tries to eat you.:D

just my 2 cents

C.G.
04-16-2006, 11:51 PM

Isn't carrying a concealed weapon and carrying a loaded weapon seperate crimes? If you carry a concealed (or open) weapon while fishing, it has to be unloaded, right?

Been covered a few times:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.phpt=30194&page=2&highlight=fishing

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=19483&highlight=fishing

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=17822&highlight=fishing

blacklisted
04-16-2006, 11:54 PM
I actually posted the second one you linked several months ago, but I couldn't find it :D

The problem is, I have a new question: can the gun be loaded?

socalguns
04-16-2006, 11:57 PM

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.htm
(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

So while you're engaged in hunting/fishing, you can carry loaded.
However when you've packed up (loaded car), and you're headed home,
you must unload.
If you're fishing on a boat, you should unload before you step on land.

kantstudien
04-17-2006, 2:32 AM
The problem is, I have a new question: can the gun be loaded?

Well, what the hell good would it do ya if it weren't? :D

glen avon
04-17-2006, 8:40 AM
can't carry loaded while fishing just anywhere. surf fishing in any so. cal city, ferinstance.

blacklisted
04-17-2006, 12:02 PM
can't carry loaded while fishing just anywhere. surf fishing in any so. cal city, ferinstance.

Of course. Luckily, I fish out in the middle of nowhere in the Central Valley (where hunting is lawful).

I am particularly curious as to if it's legal to carry while on a boat (I don't see why it wouldn't be).

blacklisted
04-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Well, what the hell good would it do ya if it weren't? :D

I don't know, but it sounds like something the law would say :D