PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Speech Class

dd03
04-16-2006, 9:50 PM
I'm giving a persuasive speech on April 23 in my speech class. The title of my speech will be "Repeal the Assault Weapons Ban." It's better to educate the young minds in California than try to persuade old dogs. Anyway, I need some more references for my speech.

I did a search but I couldn't find the information that I want. In particular, I'm looking for articles related to the following:

1. Diane Fienstein said something like "it doesn't matter if the assault weapons ban didn't decrease crime, it should still be banned."

2. VPC made a statement similar to "it doesn't matter if the Assault Weapons Ban sunsets because crime won't increase."

3. Any quotes from our founding fathers regarding private gun ownership would be helpful.

I'm working on the speech now and most of it's done. But I want to polish it up with more references.

Any help would be grateful.

taloft
04-16-2006, 10:00 PM
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
-- From the Declaration of the Continental Congress (July 1775)

"The Constitution of the United States shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
-- Samuel Adams

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
-- Thomas Jefferson, "Commonplace Book" (1774-1776), quoting from "On Crimes and Punishment," by criminologist Cesare Beccaria (1764)

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
--Thomas Jefferson, Draft Virginia Constitution (1776)

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
-- Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
--James Madison, The Federalist Papers No. 46

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."
-- Mahatma Gandhi, in Gandhi, An Autobiography

"To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Richard Henry Lee, Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic, (1787 - 1788)

"The congress of the United States possesses no power to regulate, or interfere with the domestic concerns, or police of any state: it belongs not to them to establish any rules respecting the rights of property; nor will the constitution permit any prohibition of arms to the people;"
-- Saint George Tucker, Blackstone's Commentaries (1803), Volume 1, Appendix, Note D

"In England, the bills of rights were not demanded merely of the Crown, as withdrawing a power from the royal prerogative; they were equally important, as withdrawing power from parliament. A large proportion of the most valuable of the provisions in Magna Charta, and the bill of rights in 1688, consists of a solemn recognition, of limitations upon the power of parliament; that is, a declaration, that parliament ought not to abolish, or restrict those rights. Such are the right of trial by jury; the right to personal liberty and private property according to the. law of the land; that the subjects ought to have a right to bear arms..."
-- Joseph Story, Dane Professor of Law in Harvard University, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States (1833), Book III at 718, § 1858

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
-- Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette (February 20, 1788)

"...and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
-- Jesus Christ, Luke 22:36 NKJV

"The framers gave us the Second Amendment not so we could go deer or duck hunting but to give us a modicum of protection against congressional tyranny."
-- Walter Williams

blacklisted
04-16-2006, 10:23 PM
That will be nice, but you aren't supposed to use quotes to back up your argument (unless they are required for it, like when people say the second amendment only applies to the "militia").

You probably wont convince anybody, but I wish you good luck.

DrjonesUSA
04-17-2006, 8:19 AM
1) Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), on CBS` "60 Minutes"-- "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in, I would have done it."

Josh Sugarmann, leader of the radical Violence Policy Center: "The public`s confusion over fully-automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons--anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun--can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons."

Jacob Sullum, a senior editor at Reason magazine, captures the issue well: "The `assault weapon` ban sets a dangerous precedent precisely because the justification for it is so weak. It suggests that you don`t need a good reason to limit the right to keep and bear arms, and it invites further restrictions down the road. As far as the gun banners are concerned, that is the whole point."

Founding Fathers:

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
--Sigmund Freud

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

- William Pitt, 1795

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. — Daniel Webster

“Anyone who clings to the historically untrue - and thoroughly immoral doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.”

-Robert A. Heinlein

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

"A militia when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves."

- Richard Henry Lee, January 25, 1788, Letters from the Federal Farmer to The Republican, 18

"Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."

- George Mason, Virginia Ratification Convention, 1788

"What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty."

- Rep. Edbridge Gerry, debating the Second Amendment, 1789

"But it ought always to be held prominently in view that the safety of these States and of everything dear to a free people must depend in an eminent degree on the militia. Invasions by be made too formidable to be resisted by any land and naval force which would comport either with the principles of our Government or the circumstances of the United States to maintain. In such cases recourse must be made to the treat body of the people, and in a manner to produce the best effect."

- President James Madison's First Inaugural Address, 1817

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

- Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms within his own lands or tenements."

- Thomas Jefferson, Draft of the Virginia Constitution, 1776

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
- Thomas Jefferson.

"Arms in the hands of citizens (may) be used at individual discretion in private self defense"

- John Adams, A Defense of the Constitutions of the Government of the United States of America, 1788

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

- Thomas Jefferson, from his Letter to Wm. S. Smith, 1787

"No clause in the Constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give to congress a power to disarm the people,"

- William Rawle, A View of the Constitution, 1829

"To disarm the people (is) the best and most efficient way to enslave them"

- George Mason, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 14, 1788

"But to be in conflict with the Constitution, it is not essential that the act should contain a prohibition against bearing arms in every possible form; it is the right to bear arms in defense of the citizens and the state, that is secured by the constitution, and whatever restrains the full and complete exercise of that right, though no an entire destruction of it, is forbidden by the explicit language of the constitution."

- Kentucky Supreme Court, 1822

... to prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm ... is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

- WILSON V. STATE, 33 Ark. 557 (1878)

"Congress shall never disarm any citizen unless such as are or have been in actual rebellion."

- New Hampshire's request for a Bill of Rights, June 21, 1788

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington, speech of January 7, 1790, published in the Boston Independent Chronicle, January 14, 1790

"Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks."

- Thomas Jefferson, 1785

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."

- George Washington

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny in government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

- Alexander Hamilton

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..."

- George Mason

"Americans (have) the right and advantage of being armed, unlike citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

- James Madison

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."

- Noah Webster

" ‘The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, and not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree; and all this for the important end to be attained: the rearing up and qualifying a well-regulated militia, so vitally necessary to the security of a free State. Our opinion is that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right."

- Nunn vs. State, (1846)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mahatma Gandhi

DrjonesUSA
04-17-2006, 8:21 AM
Sorry I couldn't find anything specifically from Feinstein/VPC on assault weapons, but I thought the first three quotes I posted were useful.

Since it's YOUR assignment, why don't YOU spend some time with google and I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for. ;) :D

ohsmily
04-17-2006, 10:34 AM
i smell first year community college class assignment...

PanzerAce
04-17-2006, 10:35 AM
wow, Im also going to use these in my paper....

Major Miner II
04-17-2006, 10:51 AM
This is a bit off topic, but I thought I'd say it anyway, as this is the second such post in the last couple of weeks (last one was a term paper).

Learning persuasive speech is a great thing to do, but it's better if you do it on something you don't necessarily believe.

Case in point (and I'm definately NOT telling you to do this), if you feel passionately about ridding the world of gun control, arguing for gun control is a much better exercise.

I'm not sure why professors let people argue things they believe in.

DrjonesUSA
04-17-2006, 10:53 AM
This is a bit off topic, but I thought I'd say it anyway, as this is the second such post in the last couple of weeks (last one was a term paper).

Learning persuasive speech is a great thing to do, but it's better if you do it on something you don't necessarily believe.

Case in point (and I'm definately NOT telling you to do this), if you feel passionately about ridding the world of gun control, arguing for gun control is a much better exercise.

I'm not sure why professors let people argue things they believe in.

Gun control in particular is not a good topic for arguing the "pro" side as there are no rational, logical nor factual arguments supporting gun control.

You can make an excellent and unfortunately all too convincing emotional argument in favor of gun control, but the second you apply a drop of logic to the issue, the "argument" in favor dries up.

Major Miner II
04-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Gun control in particular is not a good topic for arguing the "pro" side as there are no rational, logical nor factual arguments supporting gun control.

You can make an excellent and unfortunately all too convincing emotional argument in favor of gun control, but the second you apply a drop of logic to the issue, the "argument" in favor dries up.
Oh I know. I'm just using that as an example.

I know someone who is very much against abortion, and of course, they wrote a paper on being against abortion.

Seems being pro-choice would have been a better exercise for the paper.

I know when I wrote those, I always chose something I didn't necessarily agree with.

Kinda like debating. You just get assigned a position and you have to argue it.

DrjonesUSA
04-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Oh I know. I'm just using that as an example.

I know someone who is very much against abortion, and of course, they wrote a paper on being against abortion.

Seems being pro-choice would have been a better exercise for the paper.

I know when I wrote those, I always chose something I didn't necessarily agree with.

Kinda like debating. You just get assigned a position and you have to argue it.

Yep. Good point.

PanzerAce
04-17-2006, 1:33 PM

hehe, thatd be me :D

Jarhead4
04-17-2006, 11:59 PM
How about some Thomas Jefferson

This website has more quotes:

http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/

In a nation governed by the people themselves, the possession of arms to defend their nation against usurpers within and without was deemed absolutely necessary. This right is protected by the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. A gun was an everyday implement in early American society, and Jefferson recommended its use. "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. ME 5:85, Papers 8:407

DrjonesUSA
04-18-2006, 8:50 AM
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. ME 5:85, Papers 8:407

To truly appreciate how true that quote is, go shoot a scoped bolt-gun.

That is a damned fine mental and physical exercise!!!

dd03
04-18-2006, 12:21 PM
WOW!!

Thanks to you all for your help. I can definitely use some of these.

BlackListed, the quotes will be used to reinforce some of my arguments, not as arguments in themselves.

Posted by DrjonesUSA:
"Sorry I couldn't find anything specifically from Feinstein/VPC on assault weapons, but I thought the first three quotes I posted were useful.

Since it's YOUR assignment, why don't YOU spend some time with google and I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for. "

DrjonesUSA, those quotes are fantastic. Thank you.

Ohsmily, you are correct about the "first year community college assignment". I'm taking this class to fulfill a prereq because I'm changing careers.

And for those that I didn't name, I thank you very much for your help. It is very much appreciated.

DrjonesUSA
04-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Glad I could help! :)