View Full Version : Car Stereo Help

07-16-2010, 6:33 PM
Hi there,

I'm thinking about replacing the standard stereo in my 2004 Ford Explorer. I am mainly looking for two functions.

1.) I want to be able to play my IPOD in the car so I can listen to my many books on tape.
2.) I want to be able to make calls in the car with my Bluetooth. I would prefer one with an external microphone.
3.) I am iffy about NAV. I have a Garmin that I use extensively so Nav is not a requirement but something that I would like to have.

I would prefer to spend $500 on the head unit (prefer double-din) but will be willing to spend more if I have to.

Here are a couple that I found that I like.

Anyone have any suggestions on brands or models I might not be familiar with?

Thanks in Advance

07-16-2010, 6:49 PM
Either one will work. jsut depends on if you want GPS or not. for the extra money the GPS version will cost IMO save the money especially if you dont care much about built in GPS. if the built in GPS is a option you want then get the one with it. youll kick yourself later especially if you didnt get it. you can always sell the GPS you have now to offset some of the cost of thenew unit. make sure they have detachable face plates otherwise it probably wont be in there for long. Alpine would be my other choice.

07-16-2010, 6:51 PM
Also try posting at www.diymobileaudio.com. Good people (mostly ;) ) over there.

07-16-2010, 8:43 PM
I have this one http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_21937_Pioneer_AVIC-U310BT.aspx and enjoy it very much. Bought somewhere else for $200. Comes with usb port for ipod but u need to buy the adapter to make the unit control the ipod, it is about $15 extra. You can also just plug the ipod to the aux-in and listen to it this way but you would have to control the music from the ipod. Bluetooth is built-in allowing you to make and receive calls, comes with external mic that you can place where ever you wish. Navigation is also included and is very easy to use. I have no complains about this unit. One down side it does not offer dvd or picture playback which does not bother me. Not sure why some reviews I read were on the negative side, my experience has been good.

08-10-2010, 11:03 PM
If you haven't bought anything yet then have you tried Crutchfield.com? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4ENJMZ1h5ix/ I bought from them since the 80's. Good service and you would be supporting a very good American company. The have a lot of vehicle wizards to help you get the right stuff.

E Pluribus Unum
08-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Crutchfield is very expensive.

Go to your local Walmart.. write down the model numbers of all the units they sell. Then go home and research each unit to see if it supports bluetooth and IPOD.

I bought a JVC deck that does MP3, IPOD, and bluetooth. Each option requires a "add on" that you can buy over the internet. The deck ran me $100.00.

08-11-2010, 8:47 AM
Pioneer or Kenwood would get you the best bang for the buck, but I'm an Alpine guy, but they get expensive because you have to add the modules, they are not built in.