PDA

View Full Version : De-Registering Receivers on Military Assault Weapon Permit

Adventurer_96
04-16-2006, 10:30 PM
As a few of you might know, I tracked down the point of contact at CA DOJ before getting stationed here last year in order to get a military assault weapon permit (MAWP).

I included several receivers on the list that I was going to bring with me, and was given a MAWP which listed all of my unbuilt AK-type receivers as well as my complete AWs. I wasn't sure if I was going to build them or not while I was here but I needed to bring them along anyway, and at the time I got my orders the general consensus was any AK, even a receiver, had to be registered.

Based upon what I've read here over the last few months, I'm not sure that I even needed to register them, so this week I'm going to write a letter to the DOJ asking them if a receiver was included on a MAWP, but is in fact not a named or by-feature AW, then can it be removed from the MAWP and therefore be transferrable to a CA resident.

Just thought I'd mention this, I'm sure it's really a small issue but at least it would allow military members stationed here to sell some of their firearms locally if they wanted to or had to. Plus, you never know what they might say about it until you ask.

Good luck to you who are "left behind" in CA... ;)

bwiese
04-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Even DOJ FAQ says a "by features" registered assault weapon can have requisite number of evil features removed to be a regular firearm. The firearm can then be treated like a normal rifle (less restrictive transport, etc.). Cancel the reg and sell it to the next guy in non-AW form.

So this would be similar.

Adventurer_96
04-17-2006, 9:45 AM
I would agree with you, it sounds similar. Hopefully, they agree and there are no issues with doing just that.

If so, I'll make sure I add the letter to the calguns database.

More to follow once I get a response from on high.

bwiese
04-17-2006, 9:56 AM
You can de-register 'by features' (what the DOJ calls 'Category III') assault weapons. De-permitting would be the same thing. And you could then retain it in its neutered state. Just go ahead and file, and include a note that 12276.1 'characteristic features' are not present.

However, you can't 'de-register' (or 'de-permit') a Roberti-Roos or Kasler (AR/AK) listed gun while retaining it in CA. You could move this gun out of CA and then file to have its registry entry removed, or if you sold it out of state you could file a "NLIP" (No Longer in Possession) form.

In 2002 I sold my preban Ruger Mini 14 stainless factory folder to an FFL holder in Oklahoma. (Hey, someone needs barn doors for targets!)

This was, of course, a reg'd CA AW. I did not confer with DOJ beforehand as there was no need to: I removed evil features (pistol grip and folding stock - there was no flash hider) and packaged & shipped these items separately. (This way, I did not have to use a CA FFL with CA AW permit to ship it out of state.) When package receipt was acknowledged, I sent a No Longer in Possession notification to DOJ and within 1 week they sent me my updated list of reg'd AWs - minus one, of course.

Adventurer_96
04-24-2006, 9:22 PM
Letter sent, thanks for the help on the verbage.