PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911 Question

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-16-2010, 2:29 PM
Ive done my research and Ive narrowed it down to two models. The Milspec model and the GI. I understand that there are a couple of differences in them, I understand the Milspec model comes with flared ejection port and the GI model has the lower sights. anyone wanna chime in on this?

OneSevenDeuce
07-16-2010, 2:37 PM
Either one is a good choice. The Milspec costs a bit more but you get more features. Stainless steel barrel, lowered ejection port, better sights, I believe the mag well is flared too. The GI is closer to what our fathers and grandfathers carried into battle. Great nostalgic piece to have. Both come with only one magazine, although I think the Milspec comes with an 8 rounder, where the GI comes with the traditional 7 rounder. Both are great guns, and are made to a high standard of quality. Just depends on what you want.

I have the GI. I have fancy schmancy 1911s and I wanted something closer to the military 1911A1 so I got that one, replaced those ugly US stocks with WW2 vintage plastic ones, and it looks almost like the real deal. Except for the roll marks of course.

bob_e95482
07-16-2010, 2:45 PM
I had a black Parkerized Mil-Spec, that was my favorite shooter till it got stolen:(. It did not have a SStl barrel originally, but I put in a SStl match barrel and bushing. I then bought a GI in Stainless, but I don't like the sights or the trigger(as much). My advice- The Mil-Spec.

OneSevenDeuce
07-16-2010, 2:47 PM
In the early days there was some confusion as to what was a Milspec and what was a GI. I believe they used to call them the Milspec, and the Milspec GI. Now days they just call one the Milspec and the other the GI.

9mmepiphany
07-16-2010, 3:02 PM
for a first 1911, i'd lean toward the Milspec
1. taller sights are easier to see
2. enlarging and flaring the ejection port can be a costly after purchase addition

rdubya
07-16-2010, 3:37 PM
Depends on what you are going to do with it. If you just want one for looks (old school) and plinking go for the GI. If you get upset when you can't hit what you are aiming at, can't see the sights, go with the Milspec (sights are better). I had a GI didn't care for the trigger, sights and other things. $800.00 later I have my competition gun. Yeah I know I should have just bought one in the first place but I have just what I ordered and it is one of a kind and it's mine.

OneSevenDeuce
07-16-2010, 3:44 PM
Depends on what you are going to do with it. If you just want one for looks (old school) and plinking go for the GI. If you get upset when you can't hit what you are aiming at, can't see the sights, go with the Milspec (sights are better). I had a GI didn't care for the trigger, sights and other things. $800.00 later I have my competition gun. Yeah I know I should have just bought one in the first place but I have just what I ordered and it is one of a kind and it's mine.

Definitely something to consider. I wouldn't use the GI for home defense, or competition shooting either. There is just much better out there for those purposes. Some people do buy the GI and use it as a base gun for customizing. You can get to spending a lot of money in that case though. I will say this however, when I take friends shooting they always ask me to bring the GI. They want to know what it would be like to shoot something from Band of Brothers.

Crazed_SS
07-16-2010, 3:51 PM
Ive done my research and Ive narrowed it down to two models. The Milspec model and the GI. I understand that there are a couple of differences in them, I understand the Milspec model comes with flared ejection port and the GI model has the lower sights. anyone wanna chime in on this?

Spend the extra cash on the milspec if you can find one..

tEN wOLVES fIVE sHOOTER
07-16-2010, 4:00 PM
I got the Mil Spec, and couldn't be happier, it also came with two magazines, and extra set of plastic checkered grips, a holster and mag. holder, IMHO the up grades are well worth the little extra money you will pay for the Mil Spec, in a Ranson Rest mine shoots 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" groups at 25 yd. and at POA, my trigger pull was a little heavy out of the box, and after shooting a few hundred rounds I sent it back to SA, they sent it back with all issues taken care of, and now I have a piece I can trust, and it's a pleasure to shoot. I did a few changes, but other wise left if the way it was, I added a flat MSH, Wide Spur hammer, and a Ambi Safety, being left handed I wanted my gun to function well in both hands, and then a new set of grips. here's a couple pictures.

Good luck with your choice, you can't go wrong with either model, and SA Customer Service it the best.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-16-2010, 7:19 PM
I got the Mil Spec, and couldn't be happier, it also came with two magazines, and extra set of plastic checkered grips, a holster and mag. holder, IMHO the up grades are well worth the little extra money you will pay for the Mil Spec, in a Ranson Rest mine shoots 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" groups at 25 yd. and at POA, my trigger pull was a little heavy out of the box, and after shooting a few hundred rounds I sent it back to SA, they sent it back with all issues taken care of, and now I have a piece I can trust, and it's a pleasure to shoot. I did a few changes, but other wise left if the way it was, I added a flat MSH, Wide Spur hammer, and a Ambi Safety, being left handed I wanted my gun to function well in both hands, and then a new set of grips. here's a couple pictures.

Good luck with your choice, you can't go wrong with either model, and SA Customer Service it the best.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Nice Pistol

rdubya
07-16-2010, 7:39 PM
I guess I should also mention that my SA Loaded has new sights (STI) rear, FO front, 3 1/2 lb trigger, beveled mag, and assorted other things on it. The Milspec has the frame milled for a beavertail, 3 1/2 lb trigger, lowered ejection port, FO front sight etc. etc. etc. I like my gunsmith's work and it seems that he has one of my guns in his shop all the time. What I'm getting at is, the gun you do get, you will want to change it. So figure out what changes they are/might be and see if you will be better off saving the money and get that one. My Milspec cost me $500.00 I put $800 in to it, what's a Kimber or Colt Match or Wilson etc. I got my Loaded for $900 put another $500. If I were to do it over maybe a Rock Island might have been the way to go, start with a frame as a base and chuck the internals. My guns are what I wanted and are one of a kind. The only way I will get rid of them is to my son. Welcome poor soul to the 1911 addiction.

phroggunner
07-16-2010, 9:33 PM
Spend the extra cash on the milspec if you can find one..

I was surprised to see a stainless mil spec on display at Faith Armory in Temecula earlier this week. Probably still there if anyone's been looking for one.