PDA

View Full Version : S&W internal lock qualify for CA approved firearms lock?

Mac Attack
07-16-2010, 2:08 PM
My S&W model 22-4 will be free from jail on 7/19. Before I buy a firearms lock I wanted to see if the internal lock qualifies. I hate to buy a new lock if I don't need to. Plus the FFL I used didn't ask me for a lock when I did my DROS.

Thanks.

Librarian
07-16-2010, 2:25 PM
My S&W model 44-2 will be free from jail on 7/19. Before I buy a firearms lock I wanted to see if the internal lock qualifies. I hate to buy a new lock if I don't need to. Plus the FFL I used didn't ask me for a lock when I did my DROS.

Thanks.
Should be fine: 12087.6. As used in this article: (a) "Firearms safety device" means a device other than a gun safe that locks and is designed to prevent children and unauthorized users from firing a firearm. The device may be installed on a firearm, be incorporated into the design of the firearm, or prevent access to the firearm. See also the state web site on safety devices (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.php).

gorenut
07-16-2010, 2:52 PM
I'm my opinion, about the only positive thing about these built in locks. I'd still rather have the option of having the locking mechanism not be built into my firearm. This is probably the biggest reason why I went with a GP100 vs the 686 (couldn't find a pre-lock at reasonable price). However, the 627 is just too good to pass up when I get a chance to get, lock or not.

Mac Attack
07-16-2010, 6:21 PM
Great! More money for me to use on moonclips and ammo.

winnre
07-16-2010, 6:51 PM
Can I have mine removed and the hole sealed up?

otteray
07-16-2010, 7:41 PM
Can I have mine removed and the hole sealed up?

Yes.
This has been discussed on both of the major S&W forum sites and everywhere else, too.
This one come with a warning:
http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=112&start=20
How to:
http://http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=112&start=20

halifax
07-16-2010, 7:41 PM
I asked the DOJ that same question once and the responed "NO" because it wasn't an APPROVED FSD and is not listed (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.php) by them.

12088.1. Firearm sales or transfers to include approved firearms safety device; warning
language or label; long-gun safe warning labels; exemptions.
(a) All firearms sold or transferred in this state by a licensed firearms dealer, including private
transfers through a dealer, and all firearms manufactured in this state, shall include or be accompanied
by a firearms safety device that is listed on the Department of Justice's roster of
approved firearms safety devices and that is identified as appropriate for that firearm by reference
to either the manufacturer and model of the firearm, or to the physical characteristics of
the firearm that match those listed on the roster for use with the device.

So, although it fits the generic definition of a FSD, it isn't listed by the DOJ as approved to work with the firearm.

At least, that is what I was told.

wamphyri13
07-16-2010, 7:56 PM
Same here. It is only approved for Massachusettes, not California. However, if buying it new, it should come with a lock. My new 620 did.
Ryan

Mac Attack
07-16-2010, 9:59 PM
I didn't see my model listed on the approved list so I figure I am out of luck.

When I DROS'd my revolver I briefly looked at what came with it and I did not see a lock of any sort. So i must be out of luck and will have to buy a lock.

BTW, what's the deal with the internal lock and all the hatred for it? Does it affect the trigger pull or do something else which makes people not like it or is it just because S&W shoved it down our necks?

halifax
07-17-2010, 4:36 AM
BTW, what's the deal with the internal lock and all the hatred for it? Does it affect the trigger pull or do something else which makes people not like it or is it just because S&W shoved it down our necks?

I believe many purists see the internal locks as an appeasement to the Clinton administration that adds nothing to the function of the firearm and may, in fact, render it less reliable for no good reason.

jdg30
07-17-2010, 5:20 AM

I have a couple revolvers with the internal lock and I haven't had any problems because of it. I think the internal lock is just one of those unneeded safety devices put into the guns to appease lawmakers that they are somehow "safer" for everyone because of them.

In the big picture, it really isn't that big of a deal. Would I prefer a non-lock revolver over one with the lock? Of course, but I wouldn't let the lock stop me from getting the gun. It is not going to cause you any problems. The internal lock doesn't affect the function of shooting the gun in any way. All it does is give you the option to lock the trigger so the gun is inoperable.

For my guns, I have never locked them and I have the extra keys laying around in a spare tool box somewhere.