PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater fishing gear setup

The Punisher
07-16-2010, 9:59 AM
I am pretty experienced, fished freshwater bass since I was a kid, 32 now. I am looking to get a decent setup for the yellowtail and sandies here in Socal. What would everyone recommend for rod/reel combo? Does Penn make decent reels? I have used Shimano for freshwater and been pretty impressed.

Any advice would help me out

professionalcoyotehunter
07-16-2010, 11:10 AM
I just bought a Penn 535GS reel on a Sabre Stroker 8ft rod and love it. I have one for sale also if you are interested.

Bongos
07-16-2010, 2:33 PM
I am pretty experienced, fished freshwater bass since I was a kid, 32 now. I am looking to get a decent setup for the yellowtail and sandies here in Socal. What would everyone recommend for rod/reel combo? Does Penn make decent reels? I have used Shimano for freshwater and been pretty impressed.

Any advice would help me out

Depends on your buget!
THere is two avenues, let's begin:
1) this set up is the sure bet to catch anything in CA, from 5# bass to 40# Yellowtail
Rod:
any 7 to 9 foot rod by a respectable maker, my favorite is Calstar (expensive +$200) and Seeker (+$70).. if you are low on the budget I would look at an Ugly stick (+$50).
Reel:
My Choice is Diawa Sealine-X Series, size choice would be 40HV, Penn 535 is also a good choice, if you can afford Shimano, I'd look at the Trinidad series

2) this set up is all about giving the fish a chance and landing a nice one is priceless and this is more for an experience angler
Rod: Lamiglass Inshore Classic 80HC ($150-$250)or a G Loomis 15 to 30 lb rate in 8' to 9'

Reel: Diawa CV-Z300 (is discontinued and replaced by the Luna 300) around $230, Budget minded should look at the Abu Garcia 6500 line.

I would get both set ups if you can afford it. Or two of #2 I usually setup one with a swimbait, and the other is for bait.

Go baitcaster if you can, as it has more line and no chance of twisting the line compared to the spinning reel

I would avoid the Sabre/Penn rods... the californian that Turners sales are OK rods also for the budget minded

Ricky-Ray
07-16-2010, 3:56 PM
If your new to baitcasting I highly suggest the Penn 525 Mag. It has a magnetic cast control so you can control how fast the spool will spin and help avoid backlashes. I keep one of those reels around for when I take beginner's, it just helps with the learning curve. The Penn 535GS is a great little reel too, it was one of my first starter reels for the salt. Shimano also makes great saltwater reels. Toriums are great if your on a budget, if you can afford better then the Trinidad's are the way to go. If you can afford even more then there's the Avet's and the Accurate reels.

As for rods just like Bongo's said above, somthing 7-9ft would be great. Personally I use mostly 8ft rods, 9 tends to be a bit cumbersome on some open party boats. Also check out Turner's they have the California line of rods that's just for them and they are pretty decent rods for not a whole lot of money.

If I had to get one setup, I'd go 8ft rod medium with a line rating of something around 20-40#, and a Penn 525 Mag. Spool it with 25# mono and your good to go to catch just about anything in the socal waters. If your fishing the sandies you could always put on a 15# leader.

Other option is check out some of the tackle stores used section. You can find some great deals there too.

Where do you live? Depending on where you are I could probably point you to a few tackle shops to check out their used section.

badmonkey
07-16-2010, 4:10 PM
I've just finished setting up my deep sea setups for the same range of sportfishing.

Setup 1: Live bait/Sand Bass
Shimano TR200G on a Pacifica Sabre Stroker 8' 20-40. Using 20 lb mono with a 30 lb flouro top shot. I expect to be using this reel most of the time unless the bigger gamefish are out and about.

Setup 2: Jigging/Yellowtail/WSB

Daiwa Sealine X 40SHA w/ Seeker 670-7'. Spooled with 40 lb Spectra with 50lb mono + 50 lb flouro top shot. A bit more serious than the first for when it's YT/Albacore/YFT/etc time. Or, for throwing irons at the cuda.

Setup 3: Yoyo Jigging

Penn Long Beach 65 and a Daiwa Apollo RT 6' rod 30-60 lb. Spooled with 50lb mono. For working the yoyo, getting the yellowtail turned around and out of the rocks, and heavy lifting.

Penn, Shimano, Daiwa, Avet, Newell all make great reels. most saltwater fishermen prefer Calstar, Graftech, and Seeker rods. The Shimano Teramar is another popular rod choice. Some people will turn their nose up at the Big 5 brands like Pacifica, but these rods kill plenty of fish too. As far as lures--Tady/Salas Irons for the yellowtail, barracuda, even sandies. Plastics and swimbaits will also produce on the sandies/calicos/etc. Otherwise, the majority of rigging will be dropper loop rigs with live bait/squid or flylined live bait (sardines, 'chovies, live squid).

Bongos
07-16-2010, 5:21 PM
I forgot the most important thing!!!! Even with all of these high gear.... bottom line, the line and hook are equally important. I used exclusively P-Line CXX, #15 , green for inshore, blue for offshore. This particular type of line is extremely strong (more than rated) as well as having small diameter. Owner hooks are my choice, yes they are more expensive than mustad but that different cost (about $2) is the difference between landing that #20 YT or not

Ricky-Ray
07-16-2010, 5:54 PM
+1 on the owner hooks. I tend to stick with 2 different kinds of mono, either berkley big game or Izor XXX. Don't forget the flourocarbon, it can make the difference in getting bit or not. My 2 preferences for flouro are Blackwater or the Japanese Seaguar brand. I've found that the Seaguar from Japan is tougher than the American sold Seaguar at the same time it's not as stiff.

The Punisher
07-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Professional coyote hunter, you have a PM about the gear you're sellin'

chris
07-17-2010, 6:23 PM
i personally like to use my Seeker poles they are at 6' and work great for me. they are a bit stiff but work great on yellowtail or yellowfin bite. and i have Toriums on each of these rods and it's a pretty good combo.

i do have a California rod from turners and a cardiff for my sandbass pole.

Ricky-Ray
07-17-2010, 6:56 PM
It's bad in my garage. On one side of the garage my saltwater gear has taken up over half of the one side and now that I'm getting back into shooting my gun stuff is slowly taking up the other half that's not occupied by my fishing tackle.

I'm gonna need a bigger garage soon...