PDA

View Full Version : Davis Levee Restoration Part 2 ////// Saturday, October the 16th, 2010 at 8 am

scoob_i_e
07-16-2010, 8:40 AM
Anyone in the nearby vicinity of Davis feel up to participating in an organized cleanup soon? If so then read on.

//////////////////////////////////////////////AREA IN QUESTION/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Alright so this is yet another area that has been blatantly and carelessly trashed. You may have noticed the previous cleanup attempt (dent that was made) in an earlier message in this section of the site. If not, here is the area in question:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=316104

At the location, there are some larger pieces of refuse (things that some people deem appropriate for use as targets) :confused: such as furniture, computer towers, etc. which would require the use of a truck to remove from the area.

Primarily though, the area is littered with smaller sized pieces of debris that are more manageable and easily tossed into garbage bags.

There is a landfill in the nearby vicinity, and anyone willing to volunteer their trucks/trailers for the task, I will gladly accompany you and assist with the off-loading. And I will cover the fees.

Note: The legal issue as to whether one can use this area for shooting purposes is still unknown.

Clearly, until we can arrive at 100% confirmation as to whether the location in question is open to shooting then we will proceed accordingly and forgo with the firearms. It is very likely this will be a clean-only and not a clean-shoot-clean.

I wouldn't know if that is a deterrent for anyone as far as motivation to maintain and keep some land clean?

(Any efforts you expend may or may not benefit you in the sense that you will be able to return to this area and utilize it for shooting.)

But as far as that goes, on this issue, I personally do not care; it is still a mess left by unscrupulous shooters and is a blight on all of those whom are supporters of the 2nd Amendment. It benefits us regardless to participate in such an endeavor--since, as anyone knows, we already have a undeservedly poor image in the eyes of many. An false image unfortunately promulgated by the anti-crowd.

And if it so happens to be that this particular area is not legally open to shooting then that naturally would only worsen the fact that there is such a mess as this left out there by shooters.

So again, for all those reasons and more I think we should nonetheless get out there and do what we can.

Hopefully you feel the same.......

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

*************************************DIRECTIONS*** *************************************

Unless any residents of the area might suggest otherwise, we will meet up at the Target in Davis at 8 am on October the 16th.

For anyone that does not live nearby and/or not familiar with the area, here is the spot exactly:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=38.55506,-121.697421&spn=0.000889,0.001725&t=h&z=19&msid=116911194859005200492.00048a7cc17afa84577b1

The Target parking lot is a fairly large area, and until others show up, I realize it could be a little tricky to find a lone "somebody" at this location. So hopefully I will be able to mitigate that....

On the day of the cleanup, I will be in a silver Isuzu Rodeo. I will park as near to the road as possible along Co Rd. 32A (which is the road that presses directly up against the Target parking lot)..... Look for me--as well as other attendees--off on the right hand side of this road as you approach the parking lot.

Also, for redundancy, here are some simple written directions:

Traveling West on I-80 take the Mace Blvd. exit.

Then turn left onto 2nd St/Co Rd. 32A.

The location will be on your right-hand side (West side of the road.)

Traveling East on I-80 take the Chiles Rd exit toward Mace Blvd.

Turn left onto Chiles Rd.

Turn left onto Co Rd 104/Mace Blvd.

Turn left onto 2nd St/Co Rd 32A.

The location will be on your right-hand side (West side of the road.)

For anyone not using I-80 then that likely means you're from the area and already know your way into the area.

Either way, if there are any issues with directions, then PM me and I'll do what I can to help you with that.

************************************************** *************************************

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~USEFUL STUFF TO BRING~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay so gear-wise...... It's probably no secret but you will need:

~~~5 gal. paint bucket (not a necessity but it definitely helps)

~~~Garbage bags

~~~Durable work gloves

~~~Rake

~~~Shovel--Actually when I was last at this spot, (due to all the gravel,) I found a shovel was useless to me during my attempt to pick up the spent casings on top of the levee road.

For every one spent casing picked up, there were about 20 rocks to go with it.... So naturally I quickly abandoned the use of the shovel and switched to hands-only after raking everything into piles. But even so, bring shovels if you have them as there are other uses for them.

And, although these are obvious/common sense types of things to bring, reminders are never a bad thing; bring H20, necessary items to keep your epidermis out of the sun, and anything else that you think will make things more manageable for you while out doing some light work.

Some gear that is optional:

~~~Stick magnet

~~~Garbage Picker--Would be really useful in particular to avoid directly handling glass shards--or any other material which happens to be relatively lightweight with sharp/ragged edges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, I'll add an update for the weather (you know, expected temps, that sort of stuff) when we close to within a week of the cleanup date.

Alright so that's everything I can think of for now. (I will most likely be adding more details later)......

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Dirk Tungsten
07-16-2010, 8:45 AM
I'll see you there. Also note, there's a hell of a lot more crap out there sice you last were out there.

scoob_i_e
07-16-2010, 9:00 AM
I'll see you there. Also note, there's a hell of a lot more crap out there sice you last were out there.

:eek: Thanks for the update!

daveinwoodland
07-16-2010, 9:29 AM
I'll be there, and I have a full size P/U to haul away large items and a salvage magnet that may work for other mettalics

Davidoff
07-16-2010, 9:37 AM
I'm in with my pint-sized pickup.

TWOTWOTHREE
07-16-2010, 6:09 PM
I'm in......... it's a short drive from Vacaville.........

Rigma
07-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Count on one more truck for hauling. :yes:

manbearpig
07-19-2010, 12:27 PM
haha, i though that direction is for the clean up area but actually meet up direction. i think the clean up area is at the east of Road 30 near Levee road. right?

97F1504RAD
07-20-2010, 7:10 AM
I should be able to make this. Will know for sure when date gets closer

dagger10k
07-20-2010, 7:15 AM
I'll be there if I can.

ZenDaddy
07-20-2010, 10:31 AM
That's a fair piece of calendar down the road, but I will be there unless something major gets in the way. Sounds like a good way to spend a day. Besides, any excuse to get close enough to the Black Bear for a chicken fried steak makes me happy:grilling:!!!

Has the question of legal shooting been answered?

I will have truck and tools and hopefully guns!

leitung
07-20-2010, 2:29 PM
I will look into it, but mornings are not really my thing..

Davidoff
07-20-2010, 3:39 PM
I'm sure everybody knows this, but I would suggest bringing some work gloves. Tarps can also be useful for large cleanup jobs.

NotEnoughGuns
07-20-2010, 4:03 PM
thats away out (oct 16) but I'll try to be there to help. keep us all up to date.

Purple K
07-20-2010, 4:21 PM
I don't have my work schedule yet that far out, but, even if its not my scheduled day off I'll be there. I'm sure that I can trade shifts with someone. I'll bring a full-sized truck and a small utility trailer. I'll try to borrow a large wheeled magnet that's used for picking up nails and screws out of dirt & gravel. I'll also bring extra gloves.

Dangerpin
07-20-2010, 6:28 PM
Nice early notice!! I will be there. You are in ink!

No truck, but I will come equipped to clean.

GhostCoyote
07-20-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm not entirely sure I'll still be living in the state by then, but I may be able to wrangle up some regular coffee from the Target Starbucks that morning for a community cause (I'm a Supervisor at the Davis Target). I'll talk to the Store Team Lead about it if I happen to remember the next time I see her.

PositiveInfluence
07-20-2010, 11:22 PM
If Calgun noobies are welcome, I am sure I can make it no worries.

scoob_i_e
07-21-2010, 5:12 AM
Yes I realize the date has been announced far in advance. I am of the opinion that a very early heads-up is the most advisable approach.

Part of the reason for the early notice is due to the "investigation" that is underway......

There is currently some fact-finding underway regarding the legal issues pertaining to firearms usage at the location in question. Several people (including myself) are trying to do what we can to look into it. Hopefully we'll come back with some good news. But of course, be equally prepared to receive un-good-news. :)

GhostCoyote
07-21-2010, 8:56 AM
According to the Yolo County Sheriff's Office there is no public land that you can go shooting at, up to and including levees. At least, that's what the chick told me

ZenDaddy
07-21-2010, 9:08 AM
According to the Yolo County Sheriff's Office there is no public land that you can go shooting at, up to and including levees. At least, that's what the chick told me

Maybe you should have the poultry pass the phone to a "Woman" or maybe a "Lady" or perhaps a "Person"..........

97F1504RAD
07-21-2010, 12:57 PM

First off who is the Chic to know this.
Next thing is I was under the impression this was private property.

GhostCoyote
07-21-2010, 4:46 PM
Perhaps I paraphrased too much. What she said was that there was no county owned land that one could shoot firearms at, but private land was ok with the permission of the owner. I've never been out to the location itself to know whether it was a county or privately owned/maintained levee so I asked as a general blanket question, rather than about the specific location.

w55
07-21-2010, 7:27 PM
Im in, try to bring truck.

ZenDaddy
07-21-2010, 8:04 PM
So this is on private property right? Would it maybe be possible to contact the property owner? Let them know what we are planning? They would have the final answer regarding shooting. I'm sure they would like to be asked if it would be ok to bring a bunch of trucks and trailers onto their property even if it is a righteous cause.

97F1504RAD
07-22-2010, 6:34 AM
So this is on private property right? Would it maybe be possible to contact the property owner? Let them know what we are planning? They would have the final answer regarding shooting. I'm sure they would like to be asked if it would be ok to bring a bunch of trucks and trailers onto their property even if it is a righteous cause.

Note: The legal issue as to whether one can use this area for shooting purposes is still unknown.

Clearly, until we can arrive at 100% confirmation as to whether the location in question is open to shooting then we will proceed accordingly and forgo with the firearms. It is very likely this will be a clean-only and not a clean-shoot-clean.

ZenDaddy
07-23-2010, 8:18 AM
http://www.conawayranch.com/files/u1/MAP_-_North_Delta_vicinity.pdf

http://www.conawayranch.com/files/u1/MAP_-_North_Delta_vicinity.pdf

Not having been there I ask those who have, does the site fall into one of these plots?

GhostCoyote
07-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Went out there today after work to see what kind of cleanup we're up against. Someone's been having some scattergun fun out there. Quite a few .223 shells too. That place is f'ed up. Pieces of furniture, a few computer monitors, a lot of beer cans/bottles and ridiculous amount of shotgun shells. Didn't have my camera with me so no pics

And no, it isn't within that boundry Zendaddy

GhostCoyote
07-24-2010, 9:00 PM
Talked to my supervisor at Target today. If someone wants to submit a request on 'official letterhead' (something with the Calguns logo on it) asking for donations that can aid in the cleanup the store would more than likely donate a giftcard that could be used for garbage bags, gloves, water, etc plus the Starbucks in the store could brew up some coffee for the cleanup volunteers. I'd do it but I'm leaving for Nevada in August and won't be around for the cleanup. If anyone is up for taking care of the letter etc PM me and I'll give you the details on who to address it to and whatnot

scoob_i_e
07-26-2010, 7:21 AM
Just wanted to say thanks again for the information on the offer, Coyote.... That is greatly appreciated.

Synergy
07-26-2010, 5:36 PM
I have a full size short bed truck and 6x10 trailer for large items. I will be there.

sprintcar
07-30-2010, 4:16 PM
A little too far out for me to say yes or no. I'll try to keep the date open.

Ginuwite
08-20-2010, 11:46 PM

Just curious if the legal issue has been clarified any further??

scoob_i_e
08-21-2010, 9:03 AM
Still in-process/to-be-determined..... However, progress has indeed been made and a definite answer is getting closer.

And for what progress has been made, we have the following to thank for that:

Dirk Tungsten, Purple K, Rigma and ZenDaddy.

AngryPossum
08-21-2010, 9:17 AM
I hope this spot turns out to be a place where we can shoot. scoob i e, what would you say is the max distance you could shoot there? Is this land owned by a business/corp or individual?

Blur125
08-27-2010, 11:45 AM
I have it on my calendar. No truck, but I have gloves and rake. Will bring what I can so we can get this spot cleaned up so shooting isn't a burden on any owners or legal matters. Looking forward to it! Will this be a shoot and clean? Or just a clean up...

Coastey
08-27-2010, 5:13 PM
I have it on my calendar. Have a rake, shovel, gloves and a small truck.

osokne
08-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Scoob... you got PM.

scoob_i_e
10-02-2010, 9:52 AM
Nothing to see here..... Maybe. :D

Purple K
10-02-2010, 12:13 PM
We could all head over to Yolo Sportsman's Association to shoot afterwards.

Rigma
10-03-2010, 1:44 AM

I was thinking the same thing since it is so close. I'll be heading there after the clean up.

daveinwoodland
10-03-2010, 8:24 AM
I was scheduled to help on this but I will be in the middle of radiation and chemo therapy during this time. I will help at the next one. Sorry for the cancellation.

scoob_i_e
10-03-2010, 1:09 PM

That sounds good. Never been though so that would make it doubly-cool since my first time there would be along side other calguns members!

Dirk Tungsten
10-03-2010, 2:44 PM
Thanks for all your work Scoob_i_e. I think we're going to have our work cut out for us cleaning the place up. Someone dumped a golf cart out there recently. Yes, a golf cart. :confused:

scoob_i_e
10-06-2010, 4:33 PM
Okay earlier in the week I made a statement in regard to whether firearms discharge is permissible at the location on the outside edge of Davis. New information has arised that would seem to contradict the info I provided here.

In my defense, I was only relaying what I had been told after having been in contact with an agency that I believed was an authoritative source of information.

stand125
10-08-2010, 5:23 PM
I went on Google maps because I want to go shoot a little bit this weekend, and if I make it, I will definately be bringing a couple trash bags to clean up what I can. You could see trash all over the place on Google Maps.

mstr4ttcmp
10-10-2010, 11:01 AM
I've been trying to figure out if it's legal to shoot here for some time now.. I've spoken with some Davis PD officers I know, and even they say they go out and shoot there on occasion, but no one seems to know who's land it is and whether or not it is completely legal. I looked up the county parcel map for the spot, and found that it looks like the land is owned by the SSJDD, the Sacramento-San Joaquin Drainage District.

Still, I've heard stories from people who say they go out there every few days, saying Sheriffs and Fish and Game have come out a few times and never had a problem with the shooting. Someone even told me Fish and Game officers shot of a few rounds with them one time :rolleyes: ..

Anyone have any other ideas? Anyone contacted the county about it, or think it'd be worth contacting the SSJDD..? It really is a good place to shoot, if we could know that it's definitively legal..

6172crew
10-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I removed 2 links that another member has said shouldnt be posted out in the open just yet.

mstr4ttcmp
10-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I removed 2 links that another member has said shouldnt be posted out in the open just yet.

Fine by me, although there are a few other threads on Calguns that have maps to the same spot.. just so you know. Most people I know who shoot in Davis already go out there.. which is probably why its so trashed already.

The parcel link I posted doesn't really describe the location, just the google map. I'd be impressed if someone could find out exactly where it is just from the parcel.

Either way, I just want to find out if it's legal.
Any insight?

stand125
10-10-2010, 1:18 PM
I was out there today briefly, and there was a few older gentlemen shooting 22's. According to them It is BLM land East of the gate, so as long as you shoot East of the gate you are okay. I asked how far is BLM and according to him, it was farther than any of us will ever shoot. I mentioned Calguns, so Hopefully they will check out the site.

scoob_i_e
10-11-2010, 8:04 AM
Forecast for Saturday is 76 F and sunny.

Purple K
10-14-2010, 8:06 PM
I'll see you all at Target at 08:00

Synergy
10-15-2010, 8:44 AM
I will be there in a silver Chevy Silverado.

scoob_i_e
10-15-2010, 5:12 PM
Adjusted forecast for tomorrow is now a high of 84 F and slightly overcast.

97F1504RAD
10-15-2010, 7:46 PM
Sorry folks I am not going to be able to make this. My back has been bothering me for a few days now and I am simply not going to be able to participate in this. I have been trying to get it better but I simply must let it run it's course.

scoob_i_e
10-16-2010, 5:48 AM
On my way there.....

Purple K
10-16-2010, 6:51 AM
I'm running late. I'll go directly to the spot

scoob_i_e
10-16-2010, 12:27 PM
It was good meeting everyone. Thanks so much for making it out and for sacrificing your backs hoisting the heavy metal. :D

I'll be sending PM's to everyone asking if you would prefer not to have your pictures posted. And as for the pictures, I'll have them up sometime later.

Davidoff
10-16-2010, 3:40 PM
Scoob_i_e: Thanks for setting the whole thing up and doing the research.

We hauled years worth of shot up crap from that spot. A windshield, a window unit AC, a bunch of TVs and PCs, a sofa, dozens of boxes, bottles and cans.

I'm still amazed that we managed to get the golf cart out of the levee, cut in half, loaded into the bed of a pickup and hauled to the dump. We got 2.5 full size pickups and 2 small pickups full of trash out of there, and it looks significantly better.

I expect it will be trashed again soon, but we made a big difference today.

stand125
10-16-2010, 3:41 PM
Now if Google maps takes a picture I won't be able to find it.

scoob_i_e
10-16-2010, 4:35 PM
By the time the sat imagery is updated the trash will already be back. :D

Now if Google maps takes a picture I won't be able to find it.

Dirk Tungsten
10-16-2010, 7:30 PM
Let's hope the trash doesn't return that soon. Good meeting everybody, we did a good thing today. Looking forward to pics, especially before and after. There is a very marked contrast.

scoob_i_e
10-16-2010, 8:01 PM
Scoob_i_e: Thanks for setting the whole thing up and doing the research.

We hauled years worth of shot up crap from that spot. A windshield, a window unit AC, a bunch of TVs and PCs, a sofa, dozens of boxes, bottles and cans.

I'm still amazed that we managed to get the golf cart out of the levee, cut in half, loaded into the bed of a pickup and hauled to the dump. We got 2.5 full size pickups and 2 small pickups full of trash out of there, and it looks significantly better.

I expect it will be trashed again soon, but we made a big difference today.

No problem! I'm thankful for every last person that showed up.

And I think everyone was impressed with the golf cart situation.... I certainly was!

Pfunk0069
10-16-2010, 9:45 PM
Hey everyone sorry I didn't see this earlier otherwise I would of lent a hand. Any updates on legal status? A few years back me and some friends went shooting out there with a .22 and 30-30 a cop showed up as we were packing up and said that area was a wildlife reserve and it would of been a felony if we would of been caught shooting. He let us go but I never looked into the fact of the matter... Any info would be greatly appreciated...

stand125
10-17-2010, 8:42 AM
I would think that if it was not allowed then signs would be posted. It is obvious that many people shoot there, so it is not like the city, county or any federal agency involved in the area is clueless about what happens. After all, it is strewn with shell casings and shot up targets. The gentlemen who I talked to stated that he had talked to the BLM office ( not sure which one ) and was told exactly where it was BLM land, which was East of the gate and then all the way to another levy ( I forgot ) or someplace farther than any of us will ever shoot if we are stupid enough to shoot along the top of the levy. It is possible that people are going to the wrong gate and therefore are not on BLM land.

pyromensch
10-17-2010, 9:27 AM
No problem! I'm thankful for every last person that showed up.

And I think everyone was impressed with the golf cart situation.... I certainly was!

i didn't think about until i got home, but instead of beating and drilling to get that golf cart in two, we could have tied it to a post, and attached a chain, and yanked it apart, would have been a little easier that way.

Purple K
10-17-2010, 9:51 AM
i didn't think about until i got home, but instead of beating and drilling to get that golf cart in two, we could have tied it to a post, and attached a chain, and yanked it apart, would have been a little easier that way.

Even better.... Use two chains and two trucks with the cart as a tug-o-war.

Synergy
10-17-2010, 10:11 AM

The great thing is the Chevy would have pulled apart the Ford before the cart broke! :rofl2:

pyromensch
10-17-2010, 10:35 AM

yeah, i thought of that first, but you didn't get your truck down there til later

osokne
10-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Do we know if the landowner (that was checking his duck blinds), gave his contact info to anyone? I'm stating the obvious here... coordinating with him next time would help a bunch.

Thanks to all who came out. I was so worried that Scoobie would end up out there all by himself, like he did last time! (One of the main reasons I came all the way from Concord). Think the final count was 11? Well done and bravely.

scoob_i_e
10-17-2010, 12:16 PM
The gentlemen was not the property owner. The area is public. He was from the Swanson Ranch due east of the area we were conducting the cleanup.

osokne
10-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I know that he owned either nearby or adjacent property and not the property we were on... I didn't make that clear, I suppose.

Anyways, did he give you his info? Having the help of a friendly guy that has a legal easement for the levee road & gate, would be HUGE. There I go stating the obvious again! ARGH!

scoob_i_e
10-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Technically he did not own any of the ranch property but claimed to know someone whom does. But yes good point about buddying up to someone like that. If nothing else he could have relayed the information to the ranch owners. Unfortunately though that didn't occur to us as we were there talking with him.

And wow you came all the way from Concord?

osokne
10-17-2010, 1:23 PM
Ah... I heard someone say he was a "landowner" in the area.

Yup, from Concord. I think we figured out that Synergy and I came the farthest? I didn't get everyones username and/or first name... So I can't be sure. Next time I'll bring "Hello My Name Is" stickers & a Sharpie :D

scoob_i_e
10-17-2010, 1:30 PM
That is mightily impressive. Makes me feel pretty weak since you got there before I did. :D In fact most everyone got there before I did and I was the organizer who should have been there first and foremost!

Oh and thanks once again for bringing the case of water.

Also thanks to everybody who came out!

osokne
10-17-2010, 1:36 PM
LOL... You put this on, brother. Nothing weak about that!

Yeah, I hoped the water would be appreciated. As an apartment dweller, I don't own stuff like rakes & shovels ;) Just buckets. So I didn't much in the way of implements to contribute. Next time I'll bring a strong tarp to drag around, although that plastic I found actually worked pretty well.

I did forget to let y'all know that I had a readily accessible first aid kit in the van. Thankfully though, it wasn't needed!

pyromensch
10-17-2010, 3:43 PM
LOL... You put this on, brother. Nothing weak about that!

Yeah, I hoped the water would be appreciated. As an apartment dweller, I don't own stuff like rakes & shovels ;) Just buckets. So I didn't much in the way of implements to contribute. Next time I'll bring a strong tarp to drag around, although that plastic I found actually worked pretty well.

I did forget to let y'all know that I had a readily accessible first aid kit in the van. Thankfully though, it wasn't needed!

oh now you mention it, i am nursing a septic wound from the bullet holes in the car hood, that scraped me:)

and i didn't get all the names either, scobie has the list, if it's ok with everyone, he can pm us, with our handles, and names, so that we can practice for the next one

Rigma
10-24-2010, 12:29 AM
I think someone got "busted" there today. I was out training my dog today and could hear someone doing some target practice south of Davis, when I heard louder shots that came from what I guessed was North of the Causeway. My first thought was "I wonder if someone is making a mess..."

After only a few "bursts" I saw what appeared to be a Sheriff's Dept. Echo Star helo flying in that direction. It looked like the same bird we saw in the area the day of the clean-up. I thought, "That was fast...uh oh..."

Sure enough the fire from that area ceased, and when it reached the area I would guess was the spot, it began to orbit.

The helo seemed to continue to orbit moving East, and then North, my guess is following 50 East and then 80 North towards Natomas.

I looked away for a moment and lost sight of the helo as it headed North, but it sure seemed to be tracking someone.

Anyone hear anything about this?

scoob_i_e
10-24-2010, 4:34 AM
Whoah what the heck...... Good thing we did the cleanup last Saturday!

Oh and did everybody want the list of calguns names / actual names like pyromensch suggested?

Dirk Tungsten
10-30-2010, 2:05 PM
I think someone got "busted" there today. I was out training my dog today and could hear someone doing some target practice south of Davis, when I heard louder shots that came from what I guessed was North of the Causeway. My first thought was "I wonder if someone is making a mess..."

After only a few "bursts" I saw what appeared to be a Sheriff's Dept. Echo Star helo flying in that direction. It looked like the same bird we saw in the area the day of the clean-up. I thought, "That was fast...uh oh..."

Sure enough the fire from that area ceased, and when it reached the area I would guess was the spot, it began to orbit.

The helo seemed to continue to orbit moving East, and then North, my guess is following 50 East and then 80 North towards Natomas.

I looked away for a moment and lost sight of the helo as it headed North, but it sure seemed to be tracking someone.

Anyone hear anything about this?

What day was this? I was out there Saturday or Sunday (can't really remember) and I ran into 3 trucks with some older guys in them, some of whom had clearly been hunting (mossy oak getup, dogs in truck, what looked like shotgun cases in the bed). As they stopped to unlock the gate (they had driven down the top of the levee road) I waved down the fudd in the first truck and had a chat with him.

I asked him what was up and he said some guys had been out there shooting guns, and he wanted to know if I was one of them. I wasn't, and I said so. He said they called the Yolo Sheriff on the guys. About this time I noticed someone had left some empty shotgun shell boxes on top of the levee :rolleyes:. I didn't ask why they had called the cops, as I was too busy mentioning Calguns and the cleanup the week before. He didn't seem impressed, but he did mention my golf cart. There's no "No Shooting" sign posted. WTF?

Rigma, I wonder if somebody was shooting on the OTHER end of the levee that has a no shooting sign? Also, if you were out there that same day I was, there was a HORRIFIC car accident on the causeway. I wonder if the heli was responding to that?

Rigma
10-30-2010, 10:55 PM
What day was this? I was out there Saturday or Sunday (can't really remember) and I ran into 3 trucks with some older guys in them, some of whom had clearly been hunting (mossy oak getup, dogs in truck, what looked like shotgun cases in the bed). As they stopped to unlock the gate (they had driven down the top of the levee road) I waved down the fudd in the first truck and had a chat with him.

I asked him what was up and he said some guys had been out there shooting guns, and he wanted to know if I was one of them. I wasn't, and I said so. He said they called the Yolo Sheriff on the guys. About this time I noticed someone had left some empty shotgun shell boxes on top of the levee :rolleyes:. I didn't ask why they had called the cops, as I was too busy mentioning Calguns and the cleanup the week before. He didn't seem impressed, but he did mention my golf cart. There's no "No Shooting" sign posted. WTF?

Rigma, I wonder if somebody was shooting on the OTHER end of the levee that has a no shooting sign? Also, if you were out there that same day I was, there was a HORRIFIC car accident on the causeway. I wonder if the heli was responding to that?

Could be...not sure of where the "OTHER" end is...

I was a ways off and could also hear shooting near Levee Road South of Davis. When I heard shooting from the North it just made me think of the clean up spot. The shooting from that direction did seem to stop as the Sheriff's helo appeared. I did see the helo orbit while moving East & then North.

It could very well have been a coincidence and due to a car accident. Who knows...jsut thought I would ask. I am now very curious about who owns all that land SE of Davis though......

Pavel
10-31-2010, 11:13 PM
This is so strange... I have lived in Davis for most of my life and have been shooting at the levee since I was a kid. I still go out there about once a month and do some mag-dumps (yes, I pick up all my crap!) with my friends and have never had a problem. I have heard of few people supposedly being "busted" out there, but I am also wondering if they are shooting at the other end of the levee??

I've heard that calling the city/county about this matter only nets you a run-around, but I will still do so and see what they say.

Anyway, I just saw this thread so I missed the last clean-up. I would be happy to help the next time you guy's want to do some cleaning out there.

mstr4ttcmp
11-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Spoke to a Sergeant with the Yolo County Sheriffs the other day.. He said it's all private land off of 30, and it is illegal to shoot there. I've tried to find some proof that the land belongs to BLM, but all the maps I've looked at don't have any BLM in the area. Per the parcel map, the land belongs to a drainage district - which reinforces that Yolo SO told me about it being private.

Unless someone can get written documentation allowing the shooting out there from whoever owns that land, or from BLM clearly showing that they own that section.. I'd say it's safe to say that it's illegal... :no: