PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else buy that $99 Mosin from Big 5?

Chester
07-16-2010, 9:19 AM
Sometimes during lunch, I stop into the Big 5 that's next to the Jack in the Box just to take a look at what they have and there was an old 1891/30 Soviet Mosin for $99. Needless to say, for that price, I just bought the damn thing on a whim (after taking a look down the barrel first!).

So, did anybody else pick one up or have experience with these? Granted, I've looked around the internet and read other people's experience, but how about the Calguns gang? If anything, I'm really looking forward to refinishing the stock and polishing up all the hardware on it. If it shoots well, that'll be a good bonus too!

Oh, and obligatory gun control rant... why the hell do I have to wait 10 days (11 in this case since it's Big 5) to get my rifle when the DOJ knows damn well I ALREADY have a Glock and an AR at home?

iareConfusE
07-16-2010, 9:23 AM
Plenty of Calguns people have had experience with the Mosin, and plenty of us buy them from Big 5.

I got mine from Big 5 about 6 months ago. Can't go wrong with a Mosin, I think everyone should have one in their weapon's collection. Being fun and cheap to shoot is a huge bonus for a large caliber too.

Barabas
07-16-2010, 9:28 AM
I stopped buying them from Big 5 when the price went up to $89.

XYZ
07-16-2010, 9:35 AM
Plenty of Calguns people have had experience with the Mosin, and plenty of us buy them from Big 5.

^^ This right here. They sell these for $199 and often have specials selling these for $99 almost every month. You can't beat that price.

EBR Works
07-16-2010, 9:50 AM
You can't beat that price.

Get your C&R (FFL03) and then you can beat that price, plus no tax or DROS fees and shipped right to your door:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=90

Unit74
07-16-2010, 10:18 AM
What is the quality of the guns? Are they cash and carry or ten day wait?

XYZ
07-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Get your C&R (FFL03) and then you can beat that price, plus no tax or DROS fees and shipped right to your door:

I've been looking into it. There's only so much time for the various hobbies and other obligations :).

You still have a ten day wait from Big 5 unless you purchase one from a private seller than it's cash and carry. The quality of the guns vary but it's relatively inexpensive and they still work. You should definitely look into purchasing one.

Chester
07-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Seems like I stumbled on a popular gun here. Can't say it's making me regret my compulsory buy either, so thanks! My girlfriend was a little irritated since she wants a new bed, but I keep buying guns and other gun related stuff instead, but I guess I'd rather wake up sore and have another weapon.

God knows what I'm going to come home from the gun show tomorrow with...

Anybody here refinish their Mosins? Anything to look out for? I've done all the standard Google research on it so far and think I'm going to go with the boiled linseed oil approach and maybe some old school shellac, but does anybody have anything uncommon to look out for?

norcal.xd
07-16-2010, 11:54 AM
get her a bed from craigslist on free stuff......lol but serious that is a good buy the only problem is ammo. i heard its getting harder and harder to get it. thats why i still dont have one. i wanna try the 8mm mausers, i almost bought one for $200 in east bay but the store clerk scared me out of the sale by saying, 8mm ammo is hard to get....now everytime i go to big 5 i see hella of it on the self....kicking my self in the @$$ for that.......

Cali-Shooter
07-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Seems like I stumbled on a popular gun here. Can't say it's making me regret my compulsory buy either, so thanks! My girlfriend was a little irritated since she wants a new bed, but I keep buying guns and other gun related stuff instead, but I guess I'd rather wake up sore and have another weapon.

God knows what I'm going to come home from the gun show tomorrow with...

Anybody here refinish their Mosins? Anything to look out for? I've done all the standard Google research on it so far and think I'm going to go with the boiled linseed oil approach and maybe some old school shellac, but does anybody have anything uncommon to look out for?

LOL, reminds me of a description text for an auction at gunbroker where it went as follows:

"For sale is a nice, Romanian Underfolder AK-47, yours for $599.99! I've received one message from a man who wanted to buy it, but had to spend that money getting his wife a brand new couch. Well, when the time comes when the SHTF, we'll all be ready for anything with our ample weaponry, and all that man's wife will have is her brand new couch!"

:rofl2:

Milsurps
07-16-2010, 12:17 PM
GF has one from Big5... She bring that thing every time we go shooting. :)

Lots of info :

http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/index.asp

You'll have a great time with it. garanteed.

Chester
07-16-2010, 12:27 PM
LOL, reminds me of a description text for an auction at gunbroker where it went as follows:

"For sale is a nice, Romanian Underfolder AK-47, yours for $599.99! I've received one message from a man who wanted to buy it, but had to spend that money getting his wife a brand new couch. Well, when the time comes when the SHTF, we'll all be ready for anything with our ample weaponry, and all that man's wife will have is her brand new couch!"

:rofl2:

lol... you know, that's pretty much exactly what I actually told my girlfriend when she started up about the bed. But then she countered with, "you already have two more guns".

So I told her if the SHTF, I'll have both my AR and sidearm on me so will need more guns for her and any other friends that make it to our house to use.

She rolled her eyes at me and walked out of the room at that point since I guess she realized that while we only needed one bed, one can obviously never have "enough" guns. Maybe next time she hears a noise outside and asks me if I've got my gun on the nightstand, I'll tell her "I got rid of it so we could buy some decorative pillows."

sevensix2x51
07-16-2010, 12:39 PM
ive got 5 m91/30's, theyre a lot of fun. great for teaching new shooters the ropes. teaches proper shouldering and cheek weld in just one shot! theyre cheap to feed, and they will teach you about thouroughly cleaning firearms, whether you like it or not.

Big Jake
07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I enjoy mine. It shoots very accurately and ammo is easy to get.

Milsurp Collector
07-16-2010, 12:51 PM
If anything, I'm really looking forward to refinishing the stock and polishing up all the hardware on it.

It probably isn't necessary to completely refinish the stock. The current finish is shellac, which is very easy to touch up and repair http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=311618

I have a Russian Capture K98k that has a shellac finish that had some areas where the shellac had worn or flaked off. I just brushed on the shellac I mixed up and keep in a bottle and it blended right in with the original finish.

JonM
07-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Congrats on the Mosin! I have two of them.

One of my favorite things about the Mosins are the rounds they use. Just be sure not to buy your ammo from Big Five or a similar retail store unless you have money to blow. Go online and grab a 440 round surplus spam can. In store / retail 7.62x54R runs about a dollar per round, whereas spam can stuff is only about $0.25 per round. The only draw back is that the surplus stuff (except for the Albanian I believe) is usually steel cased rather than brass cased and that it is corrosive and requires immediate cleaning with a water-based solvent such as Windex immediately after shooting to prevent rust. If you eventually end up with a nice Finnish Mosin or get serious about shooting it precisely I believe that there is some non corrosive, brass cased ammo available online that is still a bit cheaper than retail.

I think Mosins make great second rifles - after a .22lr. They are still very affordable to buy and shoot but give you about sixteen to eighteen times the foot-lbs in muzzle energy (according to the energy ratings on wikipedia)! The 7.62x54R is a full-powered rifle round. It is no slouch by any means, being in the same general power ballpark as a 30-06 (though a bit less I believe). As a previous poster mentioned, you will learn to shoulder that baby firmly real quick!

These are not the most exquisitely crafted rifles on the market. In fact, many (except for Polish and Finnish ones usually) are somewhat crude in construction. But what you get is four-foot long fire-breathing beast of a rifle that slings some serious lead!

stitchnicklas
07-16-2010, 1:26 PM
i got a m38 for the 91/30 price from big 5 ----$99 bucks

Chester
07-16-2010, 2:50 PM
It probably isn't necessary to completely refinish the stock. The current finish is shellac, which is very easy to touch up and repair http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=311618

I have a Russian Capture K98k that has a shellac finish that had some areas where the shellac had worn or flaked off. I just brushed on the shellac I mixed up and keep in a bottle and it blended right in with the original finish.

Thanks for the link. Pretty much exactly how I'd like to go about refinishing and I have a feeling I'll be following that thread exactly 10 days from now.
Going to strip down to bare wood though considering half the finish came off on my hands as I was looking at it in the store yesterday. Besides, I kind of want it to be a long process... just looking forward to having something other to do than lounging around watching TV after work and the idea of sitting in the courtyard with a beer, working to make an old war relic look pretty again just sounds like a good time right now.

winnre
07-16-2010, 3:02 PM
Got mine for $74 at Big 5. Watch for those coupons! I am having it steam cleaned now to get the cosmoline off.

Barabas
07-16-2010, 3:04 PM
Are you sure that wasn't cosmoline coming off in your hands? They're smothered in them inside and out. Shellac doesn't usually come off all over the place and it's definitely not greasy, if that's what it felt like. Shellac will bond to anything, it's often used as a paint-prep to cover up grease stains on walls.

You will surely need to clean your new antique thoroughly if you intend to shoot it. You can spend days getting all of the grease out of the wood and small parts. Regardless of what any of us nuts in the peanut gallery say, enjoy your new rifle, you've earned it.

Double_D
07-16-2010, 3:09 PM
you won't regret this purchase. Cheap rifle, cheap ammo, and it packs one heck of a punch.

Rem222
07-16-2010, 3:15 PM
Here is a good site to learn more about your Mosin.....

http://7.62x54r.net/

Cyc Wid It
07-16-2010, 3:39 PM
You should still get a nice mattress though, makes a pretty big difference when sleep is hard to come by. That said, Mosins are fun although I don't own one myself yet.

ZRX61
07-16-2010, 4:51 PM
Here is a good site to learn more about your Mosin.....

http://7.62x54r.net/

However, do NOT under ANY circumstances even mention thinking about modifying your Mosins on that site, they will ban you....Anal doesn't even come close to describing how tightly they are wrapped over there..

However, with that said....

Stripped the finish off one of mine....neener neener neener ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/GunStuff/TulaMosin001.jpg

ZRX61
07-16-2010, 4:56 PM
oh yeah, the muzzle blast can startle you at first..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/GunStuff/M44.jpg

Chester
07-16-2010, 6:05 PM
However, do NOT under ANY circumstances even mention thinking about modifying your Mosins on that site, they will ban you....Anal doesn't even come close to describing how tightly they are wrapped over there..

Just as well... Calguns is my home now anyway.

Your rifle looks nice! That's EXACTLY what I picture mine looking like before I refinish it. You'd think that the 10 day wait would get easier with the more guns you have, but it doesn't... I WANT MY RIFLE!

joemama
07-16-2010, 9:30 PM
Sometimes during lunch, I stop into the Big 5 that's next to the Jack in the Box just to take a look at what they have and there was an old 1891/30 Soviet Mosin for $99. Needless to say, for that price, I just bought the damn thing on a whim (after taking a look down the barrel first!).

So, did anybody else pick one up or have experience with these? Granted, I've looked around the internet and read other people's experience, but how about the Calguns gang? If anything, I'm really looking forward to refinishing the stock and polishing up all the hardware on it. If it shoots well, that'll be a good bonus too!

Oh, and obligatory gun control rant... why the hell do I have to wait 10 days (11 in this case since it's Big 5) to get my rifle when the DOJ knows damn well I ALREADY have a Glock and an AR at home?

I got mine from Big 5 about 2 years ago for $74.99, after $25 dros and tax it came out to $105:D I couldn't pass up getting another firearm for that deal. They are fun guns too for plinking.

SR-Jackson
07-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I bought one on monday, a 1943 Izzy

ZRX61
07-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Your rifle looks nice! That's EXACTLY what I picture mine looking like before I refinish it.
Before? That's how it looks after a couple of rub downs with BLO :)

Actually it looked like that before the BLO also..

ZRX61
07-16-2010, 10:12 PM
oh yeah, & ya need to read this comparision chart:
http://www.mouseguns.com/compare.htm

MontClaire
07-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Bought at $99 sold at $69 at a loss and never been more happier!

joemama
07-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Bought at $99 sold at $69 at a loss and never been more happier!

meh, to each his own. I've never been able to sell a gun and to get one so cheap to make the collection bigger was worth it.

slomofo
07-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I have a couple Big 5 91/30s and one Big 5 M38, nothing special about them, and they're usually overpriced. I wait til they're on sale for $89.99 or I guess they're $99.99 because the sale price usually makes them overpriced by only $10.00. If you want a good quality 91/30 with a better price, go to a regular gun store. If you want the convenience of stopping at a Big 5 on your way home from work knowing that they're always in stock, go there.

Oh yeah, another thing about Big 5. I haven't seen a hex reciever 91/30 at Big 5 in about 8 years. If you want a hex receiver, go somewhere else because you probably won't find one at B5.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/GunStuff/TulaMosin001.jpg

Wow, that looks really good, I think I'll have to do that with one of my Big 5 91/30s.

NovaTodd
07-16-2010, 11:34 PM
oh yeah, the muzzle blast can startle you at first..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/GunStuff/M44.jpg
That's about right for the muzzle flash. I have a Finnish one dated 1935 on the receiver. Bought it many many moons ago for $39.95 (bought 2 at the time-mid to late 80's seemed like they were cash & carry). Ammo was cheap then (and now as well). It took 3 evenings to get the cosmolene out of it.
Enjoy the rifle. Copes has Russian surplus ammo for $99 for 440 round tin. Usually $5 or less for 20 rounds if you shop around.

ZRX61
07-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Wow, that looks really good, I think I'll have to do that with one of my Big 5 91/30s.

Handful of rags & quart of acetone is all it takes :)

KaTooM
07-17-2010, 12:11 AM
After a long day at the range you relax by visiting the chiropractor. THEN you watch "Enemy at the Gates."

I am going broke shooting my Garand. This rifle may be in my future.

nick
07-17-2010, 12:50 AM
I have a couple Big 5 91/30s and one Big 5 M38, nothing special about them, and they're usually overpriced. I wait til they're on sale for $89.99 or I guess they're $99.99 because the sale price usually makes them overpriced by only $10.00. If you want a good quality 91/30 with a better price, go to a regular gun store. If you want the convenience of stopping at a Big 5 on your way home from work knowing that they're always in stock, go there.

Oh yeah, another thing about Big 5. I haven't seen a hex reciever 91/30 at Big 5 in about 8 years. If you want a hex receiver, go somewhere else because you probably won't find one at B5.

I got two with hex receiver from Big 5 last year. They're in a very good condition (as were a few others I got from Big 5), as well. It's luck of the draw.

I also found a few other interesting Mosins there. Just on Monday I bought a 1939 Izzy in a good condition, not counterbored (and good rifling), all numbers but the mag match (for some reason, that was the case with the whole batch they had), and here's the fun part - the serial number is 9. Yep, a couple of Cyrillic letters (for the lot number) and number 9.

CaliforniaLiberal
07-17-2010, 3:07 AM

They're good quality. After the Soviet Army was done with them they were repaired, cleaned up and stored very well for fifty years. Buy the ammo in sealed tins that was also stored for decades, works great.

I think $99 is a good deal. If millions of Americans keep buying them eventually Russia (and the Ukraine) will run out. Get a couple of crates of Mosins and a hundred thousand rounds of ammo and you're ready to arm your own platoon.

In California you can't cash and carry Curio and Relic guns from a dealer, only from a private individual. All dealer sales are DROS and wait 10 days.

23 Blast
07-17-2010, 7:42 AM
Sheesh. Can't remember the last C&R rifle I bought, but that was exactly how I got into the shooting sports some 15 years ago. Back then, Big 5 was selling Mosins (and Mausers) for $49! :D

I spent a great deal of time on Tuco's Mosin-Nagant site, and learned a great deal about these Russian workhorses. Eventually, I wound up owning at one time, 6 rifles chambered for the 7.62x54 round. I now only have three, all Finnish ones.

The thing with Mosins is that they're like rabbits - they have a tendency to reproduce. I put anscout scope on one of my Finnish M39s, and my oh my what an accurate shooter she is.

As mentioned, if you're going to use surplus ammo, be sure to bring Windex to the range with you to wash away the corrosive salts. I've been using windex in my milsurps for years and have had no pitting/rust problems at all.

Unit74
07-17-2010, 9:15 AM
How do you tell if the rifle has been counter bored?

Milsurp Collector
07-17-2010, 9:28 AM
How do you tell if the rifle has been counter bored?

Mosins have frequently been counterbored and there is nothing wrong with it. Counterboring restores a worn muzzle and improves accuracy if the muzzle was worn.

Normal muzzle
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/DFreshMuzzle.jpg

Worn muzzle
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/DWornMuzzle.jpg

Counterbored muzzle
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/DCounterbore.jpg

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/counterbore.JPG

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=315714
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=316515
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=258052
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81303

Unit74
07-17-2010, 9:42 AM
Copy...Thxs

Chester
07-17-2010, 2:44 PM
Just got back from the gunshow, and first of all, is there no Calguns booth this weekend? I looked all over for it with no luck.

Picked up 440 rounds of Russian sardines for my Mosin (when Big 5 and the great state of California decide to grace me with their good will by allowing me to take MY rifle home in 9 days...) and another 500 rounds of 5.56 just for good measure. Got me a sling too while I was there.

I don't know anything about 7.62x54R yet, but $90 for 440 bullets seems like a great price, and I know they're corrosive. I plan on bringing Windex with me to whatever range will let me shoot them (probably Dulzura). And holy crap! They were selling 500 rounds of Federal 5.56 for about $30 cheaper than the last time they were in town ($130 for the box in the picture).

http://cheshirepus.com/img/ammo.jpg

Mssr. Eleganté
07-17-2010, 3:06 PM
...Picked up 440 rounds of Russian sardines for my Mosin...

Those are Bulgarian sardines. Just as tasty though. :)

Napalm Bulldog
07-17-2010, 3:29 PM

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=90

Checked the link , Did you see the Ruger LCP's for less than $300 dollars WOW! Too bad they're sold out.:(

ZRX61
07-17-2010, 3:30 PM
I don't know anything about 7.62x54R yet

Everyone else at the range within about 30ft of you will be getting the same education when you show up & start shooting it. Luckily the same ear plugs etc that stop hearing damage from the concussion also prevent you hearing the swearing from other nearby shooters :)

Shooting prone in long grass is impressive, when the gun fires everything out to about 20ft or more lays flat....

Unit74
07-17-2010, 3:40 PM
I went to the local Big 5 and bought one. It was pretty clean, matching numbers, non-laminated stock, no counter boring. Had the triangle with the arrow centered on the top receiver.

It was $138 and change out the door.

Chester
07-17-2010, 4:20 PM
I went to the local Big 5 and bought one. It was pretty clean, matching numbers, non-laminated stock, no counter boring. Had the triangle with the arrow centered on the top receiver.

It was $138 and change out the door.

Just took a look at my receipt. $133.16 on my end. Been looking at videos on Youtube with people firing M91/30's. WTF is wrong with me? I've got a bad *** AR and a Glock 22 that I'm absolutely in love with and I cannot WAIT to fire this old workhorse of a Communist surplus rifle!

Everyone else at the range within about 30ft of you will be getting the same education when you show up & start shooting it. Luckily the same ear plugs etc that stop hearing damage from the concussion also prevent you hearing the swearing from other nearby shooters

Heh, so I finally get to be "that guy", huh? I remember someone once brought a .308 to the range (which is apparently equivalent to 7.62x54R?) and that was pretty much mine and everyone else's reaction.

Unit74
07-17-2010, 6:32 PM
Hmm........ Maybe it was $133...I'll have to check later. My tax rate was 8.75%. Don't want to pass BS info though.

tmncali
07-17-2010, 6:51 PM
03 FFL & COE and you walk out the store with it 15 minutes after you find one you like...

ZRX61
07-17-2010, 6:51 PM
Heh, so I finally get to be "that guy", huh? I remember someone once brought a .308 to the range (which is apparently equivalent to 7.62x54R?) and that was pretty much mine and everyone else's reaction.

7.62x54R is much more impressive than mere .308. The 91/30's aren't too bad, but the carbine M44 or M38 etc are real attention getters :)

Last time out there were 10 Mosins in the group at the range, when they called a cease fire to retrieve targets etc we were going to fix bayonets & charge down range.

Decided it was too damn hot to run 100yards...

Chester
07-17-2010, 6:54 PM
03 FFL & COE and you walk out the store with it 15 minutes after you find one you like...

But wouldn't you please think of the children?! No, my good sir... if I were to do that instead of waiting my 10 days, kittens would surely die as a result.

Depending on how much I enjoy this project, I might look into it. As it is, I really don't need an excuse to buy MORE guns... I'm starting to think I have "a problem", you know?

ZRX61
07-17-2010, 7:03 PM
I really don't need an excuse to buy MORE guns... I'm starting to think I have "a problem", you know?

It's now July, You'l have at least 3 more Mosins by Christmas..

nick
07-17-2010, 7:24 PM
If anyone's interested, the Big 5 in Burbank has a 1932 hex receiver 91/30, matching numbers. The muzzle is worn out though, as all of the new batch isn't counterbored.

nick
07-17-2010, 7:25 PM
But wouldn't you please think of the children?! No, my good sir... if I were to do that instead of waiting my 10 days, kittens would surely die as a result.

Depending on how much I enjoy this project, I might look into it. As it is, I really don't need an excuse to buy MORE guns... I'm starting to think I have "a problem", you know?

You sure do have a problem - not enough guns.

sholling
07-17-2010, 8:46 PM
I have 3 M38 and 2 M44 one of which is from Big 5. Generally you can do better condition and price with a C&R and I bought the other 4 with my C&R. Mosins are nice rifles and I still plan to buy 2 more but one of them with be Finnish. The Fins are the Cadillacs of the Mosin world.

winnre
07-17-2010, 9:09 PM
I too my Mosin to Dave's for them to scrape off all the cosmoline. They did a fantastic job. They recommended Rem Oil or furniture polish for the Mosin's wood.

Hey since the ammo is corrosive, what about bringing along some WWB ammo (buck a round) and shooting some of that after the import stuff? Would that help clean or burn out any of the bad stuff?

ZRX61
07-17-2010, 9:28 PM
.... and so it begins....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/GunStuff/guns002.jpg

1904 Finn 3rd from top, '53 Pole 2nd from bottom :)

jigenax
07-17-2010, 9:33 PM
I bought an Izzy 91/30 from B5 years ago and love it. Also have a M44 and a Finn M27. Soon a M38 and a Finn 91/30 will join the family and eventually a Finn M39.

ZRX61
07-17-2010, 9:34 PM
One point regarding ammo:

Some ranges don't allow steel core/magnetic ammo. The stuff that is allowed is the Yugo stuff sold by Wideners.

However, the steel core stuff will punch right through 1/2in steel ;)

So if you do take the steelcore stuff to the range.. only shoot paper etc with it....because they take a dim view of you leaving their steel looking like this piece of aluminum...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/GunStuff/Plate1001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/RattleSnakeRd/RattleSnakeRd-2038.jpg

mosinnagantm9130
07-18-2010, 12:44 AM
Hey since the ammo is corrosive, what about bringing along some WWB ammo (buck a round) and shooting some of that after the import stuff? Would that help clean or burn out any of the bad stuff?

No it wouldn't. It's not hard to clean after using corrosive ammo, just use hot water or windex, then clean as normal.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinCleaning.htm

mosinnagantm9130
07-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Mosins? I have no mosins.....:D

jr916
07-18-2010, 5:15 PM
I stripped the chipping shellac finish off mine and hand rubbed BLO into the stock, and it really brought out the wood grain. I think it looks better than the shellac:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/89a6a3605d.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c442ae3342.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3e331f98c0.jpg
I used a 50/50 BLO/mineral spirits mixture and rubbed in a lot of coats, each until friction got the wood almost too hot to touch. I hope this helps with your decision, and good luck on your refinish!

winnre
07-18-2010, 5:55 PM
Wow that is quite nice under the shellac!

Lucky Scott
07-18-2010, 6:20 PM
$90 bucks is a good deal