PDA

View Full Version : red dot scope or sights?

b.rez
07-15-2010, 10:10 PM
hey fellas what are some decent red dot scopes or sights out there in the market that you can recommend? im looking to spend about 300 to 400 bucks maybe 500. i really dig the way those trijicons look and im sure there well worth it but 1000 bucks to spend is just not an option for me at the moment. im looking for something tactical looking, this will be mounted on either an ak47 or ar15. so something that can be compatible with both if there is such a thing and doesnt way much and most important that is very reliable when it comes to the battery life. visited the eotech web site but theres so many models to choose from, i also hear aimpoint makes some really nices ones too. any tips or advice would be of great help and appreciated..thanks again

El Gato
07-15-2010, 10:15 PM
If you have good eyes... learn to shoot irons.. you can shoot them very very well with young eyes...

personally I prefer Irons...
but my eyes is old so I shoot an aimpoint m4s...
can highly recommend either Larue Tactical or GG&G....
the wife has an M3 on hers and loves it... we took a midrange rifle course at Thunder Ranch in May and she shot with everyone else..including people with magnifying scopes...I shot with the M4s and did the same... after 400 yards it gets interesting... was shooting targets at the local range at 500 meters a couple of weeks ago... but the wind was blowing so hard I had to aim feet to the right to hit it... cool...:cool:

b.rez
07-15-2010, 10:29 PM
thank you so much for the reply..any particular models from Larue tactical or GG&G? is that M3 you mentioned a model of a sight?..yes i do use the irons but now i want to upgrade to something more high tech but for sure keep the irons for back up. ive heard that some websites sell the knock offs so to be careful and watch out

b.rez
07-15-2010, 10:34 PM
if you meant the aimpoint m3, that thing is sweet.. whats the difference between the m2 and m3 they look the same

tomd1584
07-16-2010, 11:12 AM
if you meant the aimpoint m3, that thing is sweet.. whats the difference between the m2 and m3 they look the same

Here you go, this may help tell the difference between the various models:

Aimpoint model comparison chart (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFFHwq_KhEISQ&output=html)

b.rez
07-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Here you go, this may help tell the difference between the various models:

Aimpoint model comparison chart (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFFHwq_KhEISQ&output=html)

thank you

tacticalcity
07-16-2010, 1:07 PM
Both Aimpoint and EoTech make excellent red dot sights. You also need back-up iron sights. Anything electronic can and will fail. Had it happen to me right before a course. If I did not have iron backups I would have missed out on taking a very fun and expensive course. My red dot is an Aimpoint T-1, arguably the best sight on the market. Better safe than sorry. Even if all you can afford are Magpul MBUS sights (not my favorite after personal experience with them) they are better than nothing. Just becareful when installing them and leave them on once installed. They have a weak point in the base that can cause them to break if you apply too much force when installing and uninstalling them.

uscbigdawg
08-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Red dot sights are great...until the battery dies. The Trijicon RMR fixes that problem but even still...I'd have a set of back up irons to be proficient with. Know though that BUIS are not meant to be your primary platform once your optic goes down. IMHO, BUIS's are meant to keep you in the fight 'til you find something better.

I personally prefer the EOTech from GG&G the most for its versatility. While the RMR is awesome the 65 MOA ring on the EOTech allows for CQ work and the 1 MOA dot for more precise shots. That flexibility to me makes it better. With their lens covers, QD mount and QD battery cover, from them as a package, it's close to the price of a plain EOTech from anyone else.

For back up I use a conventional front sight on my carbine, but have a flip up rear. The EOTech on the GG&G mount puts the dot to where it's co-witnessed with the irons and with the rears down and the EOTech on, you don't "see" the front sight in your FOV.

Hope that helped.

Rich

m16
08-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I just ordered an Aimpoint Micro T-1 for $530 and that includes shipping.

Daniel Defense just came out with a new mount for the T-1, it's not a throw lever mount but it's only $70 and looks nice. I think I'm going to try one.

tomd1584
08-07-2010, 3:12 PM
I just ordered an Aimpoint Micro T-1 for $530 and that includes shipping.

Daniel Defense just came out with a new mount for the T-1, it's not a throw lever mount but it's only $70 and looks nice. I think I'm going to try one.

its not really new, but it is a VERY good mount. I've had one for about a year and half.

m16
08-07-2010, 5:55 PM
You are correct, I confused the DD for the new LaRue absolute co-witness mount.

I posted about this on another forum and someone posted pics of both mounts.

The new LaRue looks nice but I want a lower 1/3 mount anyway so I think I'm going with the DD.

A throw lever is not important to me since I rarely take my optics off.

davy
08-08-2010, 2:22 AM
Both Aimpoint and EoTech make excellent red dot sights. You also need back-up iron sights. Anything electronic can and will fail. Had it happen to me right before a course. If I did not have iron backups I would have missed out on taking a very fun and expensive course. My red dot is an Aimpoint T-1, arguably the best sight on the market. Better safe than sorry. Even if all you can afford are Magpul MBUS sights (not my favorite after personal experience with them) they are better than nothing. Just becareful when installing them and leave them on once installed. They have a weak point in the base that can cause them to break if you apply too much force when installing and uninstalling them.

You had a T1 fail on you? I would like to hear more about it if you don't mind. Was it a battery failure at an early time? Was it the sight itself? Did it need repair afterward?

Thanks

sindominator
08-08-2010, 11:24 PM
No matter how much I spend on Glass. I always have Iron sights as backups. They never loose zero don't require batteries and are easy adapt to.

My suggestion would be:

Get Iron sights! The ones that flip down, so they don't get in the way if you decide to attach optics. I really like the following brand:

http://store.troyind.com/BattleSights_s/3.htm

With what ever money you have leftover get a decent replica/clone red dot. To get a good feel of what shooting with red dots is like. Take good care of it, and sell it on the calguns market place. Then invest in the quality name brand stuff. They don't have to be clones/replicas they can be of other respectable brands, like; Nikon, Burris, Bushnell Vortex etc... Look here:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/red-dot-scopes.html

I have 4 AR's 2 of them have a true Eotech and Aimpoint. The other 2 have replicas of an eotech an a aimpoint by the brand IJK Optics, that I picked up at a gunshow. They are about $300.00 less than the real stuff. To be honest I am very, very happy with them.

Note: The 2 IJKs are sitting on 6.8spc AR's. so far they have kept zero very well and performed like the real deal.

-gus

Just stay away from: NcStar =).