PDA

View Full Version : laser ?

STRT RACR
07-15-2010, 6:53 PM
Anyone use a lasermax guide rod laser on their 1911, how do u like it, just want to know cause I have one but have not used it since I purchased it?

IMC87
07-15-2010, 9:05 PM
Tagged, interested in this as well, i'm in the market of a laser that doesnt mess with my current grip (i.e. like crimson trace) but is as reliable as it.

If I may add to your original post..

Is the lasermax Guidrod-laser reliable? Or will the glass-window protecting the diode get dirty after shooting only a mag since it is directly under the barrel??

amglo
07-17-2010, 5:57 PM
I was speaking to my gun guy today at the range, he is not too high on lasermax. I installed a Crimson Trace on my wife's Sig P239 today, the grips were great and the laser was spot on right out of the box. I guess the grip issue depends on how much you love your current grips. I checked several sources to make sure that the grips for the Sig would not increase the width (the reason we bought the 239 for my wife, tiny hands). I did not ask why my guy did not like the lasermax (they sell them).

PositiveInfluence
07-17-2010, 6:10 PM
The issue I have seen and heard about was that the laser will be under a lot of stress when ever you fire your pistol. It is like getting punched hard in the back continuously. So wear and tear might be a pretty big factor. Plus I don't think you can adjust the laser so that might be as issue for you.

But coolness is always a factor in guns so that is something to consider.

remyjoeboxer
07-17-2010, 7:03 PM
I definitely see the appeal of lasers -- both guide rod and grips -- but for me they were a hindrance. I noticed I would unconsciously rely on them more and practice less.
I do agree they can be an aid, and anything that will make you more accurate is a plus in my book, but be careful not to depend on them too much, especially with your life. You don't want to learn the hard way that you should have been at the range rather than dry-firing with the laser at the TV from your couch in a darkened room. (I admit and we all know, that by far, this is the most common use these lasers get and will get until they eventually break).
There are just too many factors in play when shooting a handgun, and nothing will replace good old fashion practice and range time. I sold mine off my p228 and am using the cash for extra rounds and practice.
Lasers AND practice = good.
Lasers OR practice = good bye.
Just my 2 cents.

sholling
07-17-2010, 8:37 PM
I'm a huge believer in CT grip lasers but I wouldn't want to rely on a guide rod laser. I want more control and faster response and I don't want reliability issues. But I also believe that 90% of practice should be done with the laser off.

Crazed_SS
07-17-2010, 9:05 PM
I have a G23 guide rod laser.. I dont like it, so it's sitting in the box right now. I also have a CT Laser and TLR-2 and they're much better products IMO.