View Full Version : HK USP vs FNP

07-15-2010, 4:32 PM
Well I can't decide which gun I want to get. Just need some good brainstorming.

I know that I don't want drop $1,000 on a 1911, although I really like that style.

I can get a used HK usp 40 LEM with night sights for around $600 with 2 10rd magazines + 75 for FFL and shipping, takes me to $675.

Or i can get a brand new FNP 9 (don't have a 40 in stock where i'm looking) with night sights for $569+tax= $609.

What would you guys do? At first I was leaning towards the 9mm for ammo costs, but a friend is convincing me to go law-enforcement round (.40). which takes ammo prices up close to the 45.

I've never shot either the fnp or the HK, but am tired of renting guns to see what they are like. $ down the drain, IMO. Both of these have gotten great reviews.

in semi auto i have shot, p229 9mm, kimber steel 1911 .45.

07-15-2010, 4:39 PM
Ive shot both and owned an fnp 40. They are both great guns. If you want something with a lot of available accessories, go with the USP. FNPs dont have much out there. As far as the .40 cal rounds, yes they are a little more expensive than 9mm, but easier to find since everybody wants 9mm.

With that said, If you really want a 1911, get a 1911. I ended up selling all my pistols and getting 1911's cause I love that style gun. You can find a Rock Island tactical for the price youll be paying for either the USP or FNP

*edit* I just saw the ad for the sale at turners and rock island 1911s are 450 for the GI model and 500 for the tactical.

07-15-2010, 4:54 PM
I think I'd just lean towards a "better" brand like kimber, colt, springfield custom, etc if I did spring for the 1911.

Its going to be my first handgun so it needs to be "versatile" thats how i see the H&K and the FNP.

want to start the collection and get shooting!!

*edit* you know you have the bug when you think every gun you like will be sold the next day so you stress over whether you should buy it *RIGHT NOW* instead of waiting to think about it. I get like that with everything that i want bad.

07-15-2010, 5:42 PM
USPs were designed to be very 1911 like. If you get a variant 1 you can even carry condition 1 like a 1911. However IMHO the LEM is the way to go. Most of the feeling of a 1911 but the speed and weigh of a Glock. Personally I have a V1 USPc in.40 but I'm going to have the LEM mod soon.

07-15-2010, 7:05 PM
have you considered the M&P?

servicing the HK can be a drag, and FN has relatively few of the FNP's out- (at least I am not seeing them often on range and gunshop trips)

07-15-2010, 8:42 PM
didn't even look into m&p's. i want something a little more unique than an M&P or a glock, same reason as to why I don't want an SR9.