PDA

View Full Version : ar 15 pistol

melliw
07-15-2010, 3:25 PM
Hello, does anyone have any information on the legality of the ar15 pistol. It is currently being sold here in CA as a single shot with a bullet button. Does anyone know the CA definition of a rifle. The overall length of the pistol is about 26 inches and that is with a 10 inch barrell. It does not have a stock just a "fat" buffer tube which will not accept a stock. Thoughts?

Gio
07-15-2010, 3:28 PM
AR Pistols are legal to be brought in as a Single Shot w/Mag Lock. It is not a Rifle if if cannot accept a stock, it can have a threaded barrel if it has a mag lock. To qualify for a SS Exempt Pistol it has to have a barrel 6"+ and must be at least 10" OAL. The barrel should not be longer than 15.9" as well, good luck and have fun with it :D

melliw
07-15-2010, 3:33 PM
thanks for the info. I am getting hung up on the Penal Code definition of a short barrell rifle. Do you know where to find the definition of a rifle?

Gio
07-15-2010, 3:39 PM
Not sire if this helps or not:

http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

The buffer tube is needed therefore it is not a SBR

ke6guj
07-15-2010, 3:44 PM
thanks for the info. I am getting hung up on the Penal Code definition of a short barrell rifle. Do you know where to find the definition of a rifle?

Here is the CA definition of a rifle

12020(c)(20) As used in this section, a "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger. If it never had a shoulder stock, it wasn't intended to be fired from the shoulder, and is therefore, not a rifle.

If it was never a rifle, then the SBR regs don't apply either.
12020(c)(2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of the following:
(A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
(B) A rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(C) Any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
(D) Any device which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge which, when so restored, is a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive.
(E) Any part, or combination of parts, designed and intended to convert a device into a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, or any combination of parts from which a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Gio
07-15-2010, 3:45 PM
Here is the CA definition of a rifle

If it never had a shoulder stock, it wasn't intended to be fired from the shoulder, and is therefore, not a rifle.

If it was never a rifle, then the SBR regs don't apply either.

Jack, you are the man ;)

melliw
07-15-2010, 4:11 PM
Thank you very much to the both of you. Extremely helpful!

Lex
07-15-2010, 4:24 PM
Gio,
Your pistol looks awesome. I cant wait for mine to be done. 7.62 x 39 pistol is what i am after...