PDA

View Full Version : LED Flashlights

choprzrul
07-15-2010, 2:37 PM
Found these yesterday while wondering around K-mart looking for a window squeegee:

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/choprzrul/flashlights.jpg

They even come with their own little holsters.

XYZ
07-15-2010, 2:46 PM
Looks like these only have 20 Lumen.

Here's a thread in the OT forum for two LED flashlights for $19.99 from Costco. These are 160 Lumen.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=271830&highlight=lumen

Bentot
07-15-2010, 3:16 PM
Those LED flashlights from Costco now comes in 3 per pack and cost 18.99 plus tax of course.

Malthusian
07-15-2010, 3:32 PM
The best LED flashlights utilize "CREE" power chips.
Once you buy a flashlight with CREE you will never waste your money are the plethora of LED junk out there.
Home Depot had 3 watt CREE flashlights last Christmas for $22.

I have read that CREE has a quad power chip as well. There are other manufacturers with the same technology. Look at the end of the flashlight. Instead of a pupa type bulb,you will see an actual circuit board type chip.

Chester
07-15-2010, 4:38 PM
Heh,

A half watt, 20 lumen LED being described as "high powered" on the package. Growing up on Sesame Street tells me that one of these things is not like the other.

P.S. the Sesame Street where Cookie Monster ate him some god damn cookies and didn't give a damn about what "message" he was giving to kids!

Lead-Thrower
07-15-2010, 4:49 PM
I really like those Costco LED flashlights.

californialawsucks
07-15-2010, 5:15 PM
The best LED flashlights utilize "CREE" power chips.
Once you buy a flashlight with CREE you will never waste your money are the plethora of LED junk out there.
Home Depot had 3 watt CREE flashlights last Christmas for $22.

I have read that CREE has a quad power chip as well. There are other manufacturers with the same technology. Look at the end of the flashlight. Instead of a pupa type bulb,you will see an actual circuit board type chip.

+1 on Cree Led powered lights, but if you want the light to throw out a distance the single die led will out throw the quad die led in a similar sized reflector, the downside is that it will not light up the immediate area as much(less flood).

Army
07-15-2010, 7:45 PM
Buy Fenix, and never want for light.

www.fenix-store.com (http://www.fenix-store.com)

www.lighthound.com

DippyPower
07-15-2010, 8:35 PM
Get a Maglite. They are small, light, and I have never had one fail on me when I took proper care of it.

Lomic
07-15-2010, 9:23 PM
I have a Fenix L2D, and must agree they are great lights. It feels like it will last forever.

Solid construction is extremely water resistant if not water proof to a reasonable depth. It has 5 modes including strobe and SOS at 135 lumen. The lowest mode will allow it to run for something obscene like a month of 4 hours a night on lithium batteries while remaining decently bright.

Also, uses AA batteries, so in an emergency you aren't left scrambling for CR123A or some other relatively obscure battery.

I don't think they actually make the L2D anymore, but I'm sure their new generation have even better features and value.

californialawsucks
07-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Get a Maglite. They are small, light, and I have never had one fail on me when I took proper care of it.

The newer Mag-lite D cell models feature a Luxeon Rebel Led and it is a much improved flashlight. The large reflector allows the light to project hundreds of yards. The improvement really surprised me.

ArkinDomino
07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Surefire.

/end thread.

UserM4
07-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Streamlight Polytac

Group 4
07-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Lots of good led lights...Surefire, Fenix, Maratac, Romisen, etc.

caldude
07-16-2010, 6:53 AM
I'd pass on the K-mart flashlights. As others have said, the Costco lights are much better (I have some), at about the same price.

Surefire vs Costco flashlight? Apples and oranges comparison. The Costco flashlights are a good, inexpensive everyday light (the kind you put in the kitchen drawer or the car emergency kit). Put Surefires everywhere you want them, and you'll be out hundreds of dollars. Yes, the Surefire is better, but do you really need that for most of your flashlight use?

choprzrul
07-16-2010, 7:25 AM
I didn't buy them as I have 3 already, just took a quick pic and posted here in case someone was interested.

Chester
07-16-2010, 8:11 AM
Surefire vs Costco flashlight? Apples and oranges comparison...

I'd venture to say it'd be more like genetically engineered apples grown on the International Space Station vs. pawn shop bowling balls...

I love my Surefire, but if I didn't find the one I have for the price I did, I'd be just as happy right now with a Costco light.

Shadowdrop
07-16-2010, 9:59 AM
Surefire and Streamlight are usually a step behind on the newest technology due to testing, quality control, and demand for reliability from their products. I have a Dereelight CL1H that is an absolute light cannon for its size. A truly good light should use either CR123 batteries or 18650 rechargeables. I prefer the 18650 battery for its recharge and capacity.

k1dude
07-16-2010, 10:02 AM
The Costco lights are now $16.99 for 3. That includes the Duracell batteries. Thats an incredible deal of around $4.25 per flashlight. I have several around the house now and they work great!

Reductio
07-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Buy Fenix, and never want for light.

www.fenix-store.com (http://www.fenix-store.com)

www.lighthound.com

+1

I have a TK10 and positively love the thing, it's got a low mode and a high mode... always nice to have 225 lumens on call. :D

mif_slim
07-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Here's one for ya:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280525009381&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

scootergmc
07-16-2010, 11:34 AM
NovaTac.