PDA

View Full Version : How many off-list receiver/rifles have you bought?

TonyNorCal
04-15-2006, 7:54 PM
How many off-list receiver/rifles have you bought since you became aware that of the situation?

Let's define off-list as ARs and AKs...and also things inspired by recent events that wouldn't have bought before (PTR-91s, etc.)

TacFan
04-15-2006, 7:55 PM
6, want to have 10

Henry47
04-15-2006, 7:58 PM
wow, someone bought 30+!??!?!? that's just crazy

PanzerAce
04-15-2006, 8:09 PM
two right now, but I might pick up an AK soon.

fguerra
04-15-2006, 8:13 PM
8 AR's and 2 AK's. Hopefully another AK or two

grammaton76
04-15-2006, 10:04 PM
10 AR's
6 AK's
4 RPK's (which I count as AK's)

Also:

On a backorder list for a PTR-91
Considering a PTR-91 stripped receiver.
Backordered for two MGI receivers. Forgot this earlier; editted it in.
Got a few other interesting AK and AR receivers to get on the list for, once it opens again...

shin_en
04-15-2006, 10:14 PM
6 ARs
2 AKs
1 PTR-91

Thinking about getting 3 more ARs and another PTR-91. Anyone know where I can get a POF receiver?

WokMaster1
04-15-2006, 10:27 PM
6 ar
3 ak
thinking about getting at least a PTR-91 receiver:)

Rivet
04-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Two ar's and just picked up two ak's today.:D I really want a PTR-91, but I think I will settle for one more ar for a 9mm build.

AS45-70
04-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Currently 3 AR but im looking to get two more.

xenophobe
04-15-2006, 10:57 PM
How about I just say... more than a few? lol

ghostrider4evr
04-15-2006, 11:29 PM
3 ar and 2 ak

cseabass
04-15-2006, 11:32 PM
i have 2, but honeslty i want 2 more.

i have a M&P15 and a high standard which i am gonna build into a 20" NM a2.
ii would like another to build into a SPR with a PRI upper. and another for a 9mm.

im thinkin about getting an AK and a PTR91. but damn i want an MP5 clone.

markymark
04-15-2006, 11:37 PM
5 AR
1 AK

Looking for one more AK

shopkeep
04-15-2006, 11:40 PM
10 AR-15 lowers so far. If they don't publish the list soon it'll be time for AK-47s.

PIRATE14
04-17-2006, 7:16 AM
10 AR-15 lowers so far. If they don't publish the list soon it'll be time for AK-47s.

BLACK RIFLE DISEASE...............

Why expand your logistics base..............

NeoWeird
04-17-2006, 11:15 AM
THat number would be A BIG FAT GOOSE EGG (0) as I havent found one or more in the material that I have a fondness for IE Titanium Or the correct aircraft grade of stainless steel

anyone know where I can find such a Lower and Upper ? yes Kids thats right he wants a matching set

If you do know where I can find such an Animal PM or E mail me Please

thanks for the rant

First, it's aircraft grade ALUMINUM (most use 7075, some use lower quality like structural 6061 but that is rarely seen, if at all, in major producers). Second, outside of 80%ers, I have never even heard of someone using Titanium for receivers. It's just not practical. It takes more time, higher quality machinery, better tools, higher trained machinists, and it weighs more not to mention the fact that it would skyrocket the price to about $1k for just the stripped upper and lower alone instead of maybe $250 for the standard counterpart. It would be like asking to have your car made out of gold.

Stick with the Aluminum. If it can withstand large bore bullets while flying at supersonic velocities and handle years of use in harsh envrionments while being used full auto almost every day, then I think it will be ok traveling in a padded case in your car to and from the range with once a month semi-auto range time.

ETA: Forgot about the topic at hand!

Right now, 6:4::AR:AK.

grammaton76
04-17-2006, 11:28 AM

In my case, it's because I like to collect commie guns. :)

shopkeep
04-17-2006, 12:03 PM

Well I was going to limit it to just 8 AR-15 recievers, but then a certain FFL came along and posted something about "carbon rifles"... :) So I had to get two of those!

And then there was this other guy who started this post about complete rifles... and heck, I started thinking of buying a Vector Arms AK-47.

Pablo
04-17-2006, 1:08 PM
THat number would be A BIG FAT GOOSE EGG (0) as I havent found one or more in the material that I have a fondness for IE Titanium Or the correct aircraft grade of stainless steel

anyone know where I can find such a Lower and Upper ? yes Kids thats right he wants a matching set

If you do know where I can find such an Animal PM or E mail me Please

thanks for the rant

First, it's aircraft grade ALUMINUM (most use 7075, some use lower quality like structural 6061 but that is rarely seen, if at all, in major producers). Second, outside of 80%ers, I have never even heard of someone using Titanium for receivers. It's just not practical. It takes more time, higher quality machinery, better tools, higher trained machinists, and it weighs more not to mention the fact that it would skyrocket the price to about $1k for just the stripped upper and lower alone instead of maybe $250 for the standard counterpart. It would be like asking to have your car made out of gold.

Stick with the Aluminum. If it can withstand large bore bullets while flying at supersonic velocities and handle years of use in harsh envrionments while being used full auto almost every day, then I think it will be ok traveling in a padded case in your car to and from the range with once a month semi-auto range time.

ETA: Forgot about the topic at hand!

Right now, 6:4::AR:AK.

DPMS has stainless steel receivers. 410 SS, heat threated and of course 12 ounces heavier.
Socom MFG makes a receiver CNC machined from a 7lbs block of T-6 aluminum.
Both receivers are mil-spec and obviously way more expensive than the average receiver.

NeoWeird
04-17-2006, 3:32 PM
DPMS has stainless steel receivers. 410 SS, heat threated and of course 12 ounces heavier.
Socom MFG makes a receiver CNC machined from a 7lbs block of T-6 aluminum.
Both receivers are mil-spec and obviously way more expensive than the average receiver.

I forgot about DPMS (I do NOT like stainless on guns, with the rare exception of some revolvers, so I usually don't pay them much attention). Still, it doesn't change the fact that it's aircraft grade aluminum and not aircraft grade stainless (I'd hate to think of any aircraft made of stainless steel). Also, an aluminum block can be fairly heavy. The last time I bought aluminum stock was 1.5" x 2.5" x 12" to practice my machining and to try and duplicate the trigger housing and receiver of my 10/22. Even for 6061 it was a pretty nice weight (maybe 12 pounds for the two pieces). So 7 pounds for a piece to make an AR receiver (probably something like 12" x 6" x 2") isn't really that much when you think about it. Also, keep in mind that T6 just means it is heat treated. There is 6061 T6, 7075 T6, etc. It just means the particular aluminum has undergone heat treating to make it's surface harder. Chances are it is 7075 like 90% of the other AR receivers out there.

rmeyer
04-17-2006, 9:54 PM
I bought 0.

thmpr
04-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Just one!:confused:

morepoop4u
04-18-2006, 2:49 AM
4ar
3ak
1ptr

accordingtoome
04-18-2006, 3:15 AM
just three for me.. thats enogh i guess

Phantom_Piney
04-18-2006, 5:43 AM
I have bought 5 off list receivers but the voices in my head keep telling me to buy two more lowers. :p Now if I can only find a few Stag or multi cal lowers close to my home, and with as little fuss to DROS I be good to go.

Ed1216
04-18-2006, 10:07 PM
So far 3 ar's. Maybe 1 or 2 more this weekend.

1911_sfca
04-19-2006, 4:10 PM
seven lowers, four of which are at the DOJ. :-(

I won't call them "AR"s, because I'm not sure if they are close enough to be considered AR-series. I'm waiting for word from the DOJ on that....

thmpr
04-19-2006, 7:06 PM
seven lowers, four of which are at the DOJ. :-(

I won't call them "AR"s, because I'm not sure if they are close enough to be considered AR-series. I'm waiting for word from the DOJ on that....

Did you fill and turn in the LEGR forms to the DOJ to retrieve your lowers?

wutzu
04-19-2006, 10:08 PM
2 Ameetec lowers, and an M-1 carbine. I count the carbine because it's self-loading, and I got it so i could shoot something without having to break the action to reload

1911_sfca
04-20-2006, 2:46 PM
If you make a reasonable assumption about distribution within the ranges, you end up at about 5.6 lowers per person.

According to my calculations, it would be 5.56 lowers per person.

bwiese
04-20-2006, 2:52 PM
As of 3-4 weeks ago we are fairly certain the number 30,000 is involved.

The open question is whether this is 30,000 DROSes - meaning more than 30,000 lowers, since there will be some multi-lower DROSes - or whether this is 30,000 lowers alone.

This is a DOJ estimate revealed by one DOJ guy to a credible parts/accessory manufacturer I met and talked with 3-4 wks ago. I believe it was determined thru a mix of audits of volume off-list lower dealers and DROS # increases over year-to-year trend.

This 30K value is probably a 'neighborhood' value and could be +/- 20%.

Whatever it was, it's increased since then...

TonyKat
05-02-2006, 7:04 AM
Sorry to be totally out of the loop but i'm trying to figure out how the process works of buying the parts for an ar-15 then building it and geting it registered?? dosen't it become illeagle once you build it? please give me a little direction because if i can have 2 or 3 ar-15's i would buy them this weekend :) i'm just a novice on the big gun stuff.

shaftershooter
05-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I got my self 2 recivers and ready to hook them up

VeryCoolCat
05-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Question: If they list... what happens if you register the AR15s. Can you unpin the mag?

Joe
05-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Sorry to be totally out of the loop but i'm trying to figure out how the process works of buying the parts for an ar-15 then building it and geting it registered?? dosen't it become illeagle once you build it? please give me a little direction because if i can have 2 or 3 ar-15's i would buy them this weekend :) i'm just a novice on the big gun stuff.

they are legal when built, if built correctly. they must have a fixed 10 round mag. search around to find more info but read this 3-4 times first:

http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

Joe
05-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Question: If they list... what happens if you register the AR15s. Can you unpin the mag?

according to this link

http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

"11. If my off-list receivers are declared as assault weapons, can I add “evil features” like pistol grips and folding stocks?

As of now, you should only have the intent of purchasing off-list lower receivers for the intended goal of making and using a legally-configured rifle. Any future declaration actions by DOJ are speculative; you prudently should ask for a “letter ruling” from DOJ (or see one on DOJ letterhead from someone you trust) on modifying your newly-registered lower receiver with any one or more characteristic features with a detachable magazine – and only after you receive your assault weapons registration for the particular firearm(s) in question back from the DOJ.

Your “named” assault weapon would be legally possessed and was legally acquired, so you wouldn’t manufacturing or creating an illegal SB23-violating weapon: it is a listed assault weapon at the receiver level, once it’s declared and registered. The boundary from regular rifle receiver to AW status was crossed by the DOJ, not you – so you have not manufactured or created an assault weapon. In this manner, a bare off-list receiver, or legally-configured rifle from such a receiver, becomes an assault weapon only by government fiat and not through any action of yours.

You are furthermore not manufacturing an assault weapon as there is no reversible process controlled by you (i.e., removing a feature that would make it no longer be an assault weapon). If you register the rifle as an assault weapon, it already is one - regardless of characteristic features.

There is no minimum or maximum amount of ‘evilness’ for a registered assault weapon: all legal registered assault weapons have the same legal status regardless of the path they became assault weapons. Fixed magazines are no longer an issue; it is an assault weapon, so it can be a semiautomatic rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and have a pistol grip, etc.

There are no varying categories or distinctions between registered legal assault weapons – the terms Category I, II and III are not coded in the Penal Code and are terminology that really only reflects the registration period history. California assault weapon law only concerns itself about when a certain name or configuration of a firearm becomes an assault weapon; the penalties are merely for illegal, unregistered assault weapons and illegal transport, import, manufacture, sale to a minor, etc.

Read the next FAQ Q&A pair for some caveats about special California-legal AR and AK receivers."

PLINK
06-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Bring this back to the top for the recent OLL club members.

Hope the poll is still open.

lh2soda
06-18-2006, 2:14 AM
30+ wow five of you gun nuts!!!!!