PDA

View Full Version : Calguns Marketplace question

Donny1
07-15-2010, 10:03 AM
I want to put a shotgun up for sale on Calguns and I have some questions.

I want to do a face to face transaction. I don't want to deal with shipping and also I want the buyer to see it, handle it, etc. so there are no discrepancies about condition and value. So we pick some place to meet and decide we have a deal.

We have to go to an FFL for the transaction.

So do I take payment before or during the PPT at the FFL? Or after the 10 Days?
What's the best payment, cash, money order?
Should I make up a bill of sale?
The gun is held by the FFL for the 10 days?
The gun has a hard case with combo lock, can I lock it up during the 10 day hold?

Thanks for any help.

XYZ
07-15-2010, 10:06 AM
So do I take payment before or during the PPT at the FFL? Or after the 10 Days? Take payment at the FFL during the PPT

What's the best payment, cash, money order? Cash is king

Should I make up a bill of sale? The FFL will handle all that

The gun is held by the FFL for the 10 days? Yes

The gun has a hard case with combo lock, can I lock it up during the 10 day hold? The FFL will handle that once you complete the transfer. Not your responsibility aftewrards. They will probably keep it unlocked

Thanks for any help.

Hopefully others can correct me if I've misspoken.

Vacaville
07-15-2010, 10:12 AM

Here's my response based on my limited experience:

Take payment before the 10 days. Once you finish the PPT and it is in jail it is no longer your property.
Cash, of course. Money order should be fine too. It's no different than selling any other piece of your property.
I would, but it can be minimal. You're going to have plenty of documentation already from doing the transfer. It's not going to have a price on it though.
Yes, but once you've done the transfer it isn't any of your concern anymore.
The gun has a hard case with combo lock, can I lock it up during the 10 day hold?
If you wish, but it's the buyer's and FFL's responsibility to insure that the gun has an approved lock when the buyer leaves the store with it. Again, it ain't yours anymore, so don't worry about it.

Thanks for any help.

Anyone else chime in if I've got anything wrong here.

XYZ beat me to the response. Sorry for the dupe info.

Donny1
07-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I read something about FFL telling the people involved to not do the cash transaction in front of them. Told them they should have done it outside before hand. Not sure I would be comfortable exchanging large sums of cash in a parking lot, lol.

Ed_Hazard
07-15-2010, 10:28 AM

I want to do a face to face transaction. I don't want to deal with shipping and also I want the buyer to see it, handle it, etc. so there are no discrepancies about condition and value. So we pick some place to meet and decide we have a deal.

Yes, unless the shotgun is over 50yrs old, then you casn do cash and carry. If this is the case you should get photocopy of the buyers DL and a signed bill of sale.

Payment should be received at the time of PPT. Once the paperwork is complete the gun is now trhe property of the buyer.

Once again Cash is king, I would not accept a check or money order myself.

Unless it is a cash and carry sale on an eligible longgun, no. You will/should get a copy of the DROS for the gun showing your buyers info as well as yours. If you want have him sign your copy.

Yes the FFL will hold the gun for the required wait period, and if any problems arrise will contact you.

You are not required to provide a case or lock to the buyer. If you are selling the gun with one provided it is up to the buyer how they want to handle it. The FFL would prefer that the case not be locked up as they will have to enter the gun in their log book and will have to handle the gun.

Thanks for any help.

Hopefully with all the responses you have received they will help you with your add. The best piece of advice I can give you is to read the new rules and try your best to follow them. Look over some of the threads in the WTS forum and that will give you a good idea of how to go about it. ED

Ed_Hazard
07-15-2010, 10:32 AM
I read something about FFL telling the people involved to not do the cash transaction in front of them. Told them they should have done it outside before hand. Not sure I would be comfortable exchanging large sums of cash in a parking lot, lol.

It's true some shops are a little touchy on this subject. I know most Turner's stores freak out when you exchange cash in the store. This is one of the reasons I like to go to Ammo Bros. They are a lot freindlier than some other shops when it comes to PPT's. I would suggest you search here for some of the shops in your area who have a PPT freindly reputation.

Donny1
07-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Hopefully with all the responses you have received they will help you with your add. The best piece of advice I can give you is to read the new rules and try your best to follow them. Look over some of the threads in the WTS forum and that will give you a good idea of how to go about it. ED

Yes, I see the new rules and just want a smooth transaction.

I guess I have another question now. As far as negotiations, what kind of conditions can I put on the sale. As far as someone saying "I'll take it" without looking at it first. I'm just curious about putting the sale on hold pending funds and then it doesn't go through.

So do I go by PM commitments or am I bound by the "I'll take it" in the thread?

BigDogatPlay
07-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Pretty much all the advice above is golden. A few thoughts of my own....

Method of payment: I do not take anything but cash for a PPT unless it's a "bro deal" and I have a long time relationship with the buyer. The money part I take care of before walking into the FFL for the transfer.

Bill of sale: Only if it's a cash & carry deal on a qualifying arm. Otherwise a copy of the DROS is plenty enough proof of sale for me.

Case and lock: Unless the the case is included in the sale, don't leave it with the gun. Take it with you. FFLs, generally in my experience, will not accept a locked case as if they happen to get audited while the gun is in their possession they need to be able to produce it upon demand. Your lock on the case keeps that from happening. A combination lock will need to be left open, usually. If the lock in question is an OEM gun lock that was issued with the gun when you purchased it, then by all means that should go to the purchaser as it might save him a couple of bucks.

As to what you are bound to in the Marketplace on offers... an "I'll Take It" without a corresponding PM to back it up is not (in my mind) a true commitment. When I am selling I go by time stamps on the PM, who ever is first wins assuming they have the best offer... I always do 'OBO' with my asking price because I know I'll be negotiating with whomever winds up buying. If I get three or four PMs with offers and someone then PMs and will give me the asking price, I am going to go with the person who is willing to show the most green.

XYZ
07-15-2010, 10:38 AM
So do I go by PM commitments or am I bound by the "I'll take it" in the thread?

Post your requirements in your ad, i.e. first I'll take it followed by a PM get's the first response, etc, etc.

If they back out, just repost. It happens but if it's a good gun and a decent price you'll get buyers.

GL

Donny1
07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the great info.

As far as the case, it's a hard case that's included in the sale/value. I guess the locked issue is moot as once the transaction is done it's not my problem.

I'm sure no employee has ever "tested" a gun during the 10 day wait.
:rolleyes:

theneko
07-15-2010, 1:47 PM
Hey Donny,
One comment about payment method. As the seller it's up to you but I recommend being flexible (within reason). I have paid cash for a $500 gun but for a $1000 gun I refuse. There is no reason not to take check or MO if you can be sure you will not be ripped off. How do you do that? Get the buyer's full name and phone number. Talk to him/her and get a feel for whether they are cool or tool. Do they freely offer info like where they live and how to reach them, or are they guarded with info? Do they have 10, 20, or 30 sales here with positive iTrader feedback? Do they have >100 posts? Use your best judgement but *most* CalGunners are cool and demanding cash, particularly for expensive items, is kind of annoying. YMMV, caveat emptor, etc.

RobG
07-15-2010, 1:55 PM
I will add that I have been told/admonished by two different shops for cash exchange inside the store. Both stated it was a tax thing, whether true or not, I don't know. Now I work that part of the transaction outside the store. And I take cash only at that point. I don't want the gun tied up in DROS if I find I got stiffed with a bad check/MO.

theneko
07-15-2010, 1:58 PM
Interesting - I haven't seen that. I usually have the cash in an envelope and hand that to the seller. They discreetly count it - maube the clerks never noticed.

Edit: Well RobG, based on your stats here I would take your check! ;-)

djleisure
07-15-2010, 2:31 PM
If an FFL is going to give you crap about exchanging cash in the store, then you really should find another FFL. The first time I went to Bright Spot Pawn (and early in my PPT days) I asked the guy behind the counter (Chris) If he was cool with me exchanging money in the shop. He replied with (paraphrased) "Hell yeah, I would rather people exchange money in the store where it's safe, rather than out in the parking lot." ...I really appreciated that mentality and have since driven WAY out of my way to do transfers at BSP.

AlliedArmory
07-15-2010, 3:17 PM

So do I take payment before or during the PPT at the FFL? Or after the 10 Days? After inspection and before or during the paperwork is being done.

What's the best payment, cash, money order? CASH only, unless it is someone I have dealt with int he past. Checks and MOs can have a stop payment on it

Should I make up a bill of sale? I think the DROS paperwork should be good enough

The gun is held by the FFL for the 10 days? yes

The gun has a hard case with combo lock, can I lock it up during the 10 day hold? not sure about this one.

Thanks for any help.

I answered the ?s the best I know. GLWS

Rob454
07-15-2010, 3:19 PM
I

Payment before the paperwork is done
Cash Cash Cash
No need
yes
If the case is included with the sale the new buyer can get the key for it. You do not get the gun to keep at home for 10 days. The FFL takes possession of the gun within the 10 day wait period. As soon as the3 gun is paid for THEN paperwork filled out the gun is no longer your gun. if the buyer falls through and does not pass DROS the gun is still NOT yourt gun. it belongs to the buyer. he jsut cant pick it up. you are not responsible for anything that happens after the initial sale where the buyer hands you the money for the gun and DROS paperwork is completed.

Thanks for any help.

my answers in bold

Rob454
07-15-2010, 3:22 PM

ive never had a problem either taking or giving cash for the item in the store. Some FFLs are a little too uptight.